LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

New Wii owner, need advice

Hello everybody, I just joined and this is my first thread. Let me start by saying that I decided to buy a Wii after I played one for the first time shortly after Christmas. I pre-ordered one from gamestop.com this past weekend. Here is the deal I got:

Wii console and all the goodies it comes with (WiiSports, cables, etc)
    Wii Memory SD 1.0 GB
    Wii Charge Station
    Extra Wii Nunchuk
    Wii play with remote
    Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
    Metroid Prime 3:Corruption
    Including tax and overnight shipping, I paid $544.22 to be shipping on 1/29/08

Anyway, I have a few questions for the people of the forum that have much more Wii experience than I do.

1) Do you think the above deal was fair given the current Wii shortage (I paid $474 for $484 of merchandise plus tax and shipping). I know the bundle is just another way to sell things unnecesarily, but I bought this for my wife and I and we were definetly going to buy the console, the memory card, WiiPlay, an extra nunchuk and Zelda anyway. I think having to pay for shipping and having to buy metroid and a charging station for retail price is much better than paying $400 on ebay for JUST the console.

2) As stated above, I bought this for my wife and I to play because we're looking for something to do together, another way to spend time. Can you guys and gals give us any advice on fun two-player games that we could play together. I'm much better at video games than she is, so I want them to be more of a pick-up-and-play type of thing, not something you need to spend hours playing to get decent at.

3) A couple of my friends are saying I made a mistake and should have bought an Xbox360 or PS3. Did I make the right decision based on what I'm looking for? I really want something unique that lets you get up and move, be part of the game, not just sit there. They all told me that the Wii graphics suck, but I played WiiSports and the graphics looked pretty damn good to me (and I understand the graphics on that game aren't even a good reflection of what the Wii is capable of). Also, I think the wife and I would have much more fun with a Wii than say an Xbox.

Sorry about the long post, thanks in advance for any advice!

(Sorry if I asked anything that has already been posted and answering previously....I tried searching the forums for answers but I didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, but I apoligize if this has been rehashed a thousand times already)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    9999-9999-9999-9999
    wow... i'm too illiterate to read all that.

make sure you get wii play... it gets kinda lame reviews, but you're gonna hurt your arms... so these games are fun when your arms are tired... and you get a free remote with it... or you buy a remote and get a $10 game with it...

I'm good at cow racing on wiiplay

click logo to join the...
    rainbows & unicorns clan!

Member #
    Friends
    2295-5812-4746-3096
    Guitar hero takes some practice but it is definetly addicting and is a lot of fun, although if rock band ever comes out you may want to save your cheese for that!

1/15/08 - My Wii Era Begins...

SSBB: 2234-6829-5171 Chuck, Memphis, CST
    MOH2: chuccck

An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    First of all, welcome to WiiChat, and I hope you stay for a long while. My name is Tyler, feel free to personally message me if you have any further questions.

1. That is a great buy. If you are as hardcore as you sound, Metroid will be a GREAT game for you. It is only one player, and would be fairly difficult for a casual gamer to get the hang of, but it has been one of the most anticipated games of the year for most hardcore gamers.
    2. The wii is known for having a wide variety of mini-game collections games. At the top of the list is usually WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which has actually given birth to a new category of Micro Games, even smaller than mini games. Mario Party 8 is also a great pick-up-and-play game. If you're looking for something for yourself after you've been Zelda and Metroid, check out Mario Galaxy. Galaxy has recieved the 'Game of 2008' award, and is suitable for both hardcore and casual gamers.
    3. From what you've shared with us, the wii is absolutely perfect for you. The wii's graphics are behind that of the Xbox and PS3, but we like to think that that isn't at the top of our list, priority-wise. That's because the wii has games for EVERYONE. Both you and your wife will fully enjoy the wii, I'm sure, which is something I wouldn't be able to honestly tell you had you bought a XB360 or PS3.

If you're still looking for a game in 2008, check out Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It is being released on March 9, and has been heavily anticipated for YEARS. This game will be the most hardcore game on the wii's roster to date, but the great part of it is that casual gamers can enjoy it as well.

Have a nice day.

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

Member #
    Friends

Thank you, Tyler

I just wanted to thank you Tyler for the advice. I am a Wii newbie, since I have been out of gaming for a few years (college graduate, career had to come first, got married, etc) and I need all the help I can get to get back in the swing of things. I hope you are right that I made the right decision...now I REALLY can't wait for my Wii to come next week!

An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Hey man, you're the reason I'm here. I have information that you don't, and I like to think that it is my duty to change that.

Again, if you've got any other questions, I'm here.

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

M'bating to Z Suit Samus Atomheart's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Unfortunately, no Wii games really get you up and moving, aside from Wii Sports (but only if you really choose too; you can get by by flicking your wrist just as well as if you get up and do the motions).

For playing together, Cooking Mama might be fun for two people and it's only $20-30. The new Trauma Center has 2 player co-op, which is supposed to be good.

Member #
    Friends
    9999-9999-9999-9999
    That was a great response from Tyler. And you should be very happy with your choice of buying the Wii. Hope to see you around.

I shouldn't mention this, but you should rep Tyler by clicking on his green mushroom under his avatar.

click logo to join the...
    rainbows & unicorns clan!

Member #
    Friends
    8935-2158-8491-0001
    1) Its a fair deal its about $400 Australian Dollars for a base pack (Console, Wii Mote, Nunchuk, Wii Sports, Stand and cables etc.

2) Mario Party 8 is like a board game which is great for 2 player or has a dodgy storyline for 1 player.

3) Wiis are an innovation to the gaming world but X-Box 360's and PS3's are better for 1 player games or if you want state-of-the-art graphics.

PS: I like long posts

-=Join the Waluigi Fan Club (WFC)=-
    43 Members and growing.

Current Wii Games:
    Wii Sports, Wii Play. Zelda: Twilight Princess, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Wii Playground & Wario Strikers Charged Football
    Wanted Wii Games: The Simpsons Game, Metroid Prime 3 : Corruption & Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
    Unreleased Wii Games Interested In:
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl

MSC Number: 438211 093357
    Pokemon BR Number: 2707-0611-1626
    Add me to your friends and pm me your number.

Member #
    Friends
    Looks like you got a pretty good deal. Metroid Prime 3 is an awesome game. I have a lot of fun playing Wii Play and Wii Sports with my Wife and kids.

Jamie

Ads