Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    all the new technology costs a lot
    sorry 360 or ps3 dont have NEW technology, just upgraded
    and the hardware specs? need people be reminded..PS2 WAS THE LOWEST IN HARDWARE TERMS AND IT WON LAST GEN

p.s. GC was pretty much equal to XBOX in power, yet didnt appeal to hardcoregamers even though the XBOX did, so since the wii dosent have the graphics it wont appeal to hardcore gamers? jeeze! how do you appeal to such people!? you got me in a twister. and lets not forget the ps2 again...
    Last edited by Sovieto; 11-16-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Posts when necessary. linkzeldagame's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    There are some interesting viewpoints floating around here, especially the one of the original poster.

I'm not technically savvy like kenn is but at least I have a basic understanding of computer terms. One thing I've noticed with computers is that it doesn't matter how fast the CPU is, the computer will never be fast unless it balances everything inside it with the CPU. And that's what Nintendo has done with its consoles. Slower clock speed CPUs and then balance out with the rest of the system through Graphics card, bus speed, RAM etc. The gamecube, as a result is almost as good as the XBOX and is a very energy efficient machine in comparision to the XBOX.

Sony and Microsoft have never opted for that approach because their philosophy is 'the bigger, the better', which is flawed. You can have a game system or a computer that gives out the best possible graphics of its time but in a few years down the track it's likely to fail due to overheating problems and flaws within the design of components and how they work with each other. That is often the problem with XBOX and PS consoles - they overheat too much and every now and then, a problem crops up with the system integrity.

What nintendo has done is virtually work in the opposite direction of Sony and Microsoft. I'm sure they did think of improving their graphical prowess of the Wii back in development stages. But they realised that if they took that path, focusing on graphics and nil gameplay, they would not get anywhere in the long term and the industry would stifle. Instead, they focused on minimising power consumption by decreasing the size of the components involved and using tried and tested methods of using the most efficient technology at the time. Hence the price cost is cheaper, the size of the console is very small and has minimal heating problems.

In terms of playability and gameplay, the Wii has alot of potential there. But its up to the developers to fully utilise the uniqueness of the Wii console. The Wii alone cannot win without having a good developer backing behind it. That is what enabled the PS2 to win the current generation war. It had alot of games but very few of them were good games.

Grahically, the Wii is mediocre and I agree with Kenn in terms of graphics capability. The graphics on the other systems are much better but that doesn't stop me from playing 'old school' games because I know graphics doesn't ensure you'll have a great game. Graphics can only help enhance immersion into the game but it is gameplay that keeps you going. For example, I played a driving game on the XBOX 360 and I was amazed at the grahical detail the devs put into creating the environment but I got bored with it in 10 minutes as it turned out to be another speed chase driving game. One that has been made before millions of times, starting with Driver and GTA.

I wonder who would be interested in playing a game that first came out on the SNES and didn't change much except for graphics. Sad but true. Now we have so many FPS that all have the same goal - kill as many enemies you can see on the screen and get through the level to reach the next level. It was a fun game at first but now that there are so many on the net and on video games, it sure does get very repetitive and boring. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind FPS but if its a new genre FPS like Metroid Prime or Unreal Tournament or Counter Strike then I'd be happy to play it. But I don't want to play the same old games like Halo and Timesplitters or many of the FPS you see on the Playstation section in video game shops.

I tried Halo and I must say its incredibly difficult to get the hang of using two separate joysticks to move your character on the screen- that was a big turn off factor for trying out many FPS that are out on the market nowdays. The keyboard and mouse is alot more fun for FPS.

Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn
    Obviously you meant to say, "My weak post is as follows:

I can certainly talk in terms of clock cycles per second, bits per second, bus speeds, bits processed per cpu cycle, multi-threading, merits of L2-cache on and off die if you prefer, but most quasi-intelligent people are comfortable with seeing the word "Horsepower" used metaphorically about such specific data. Clearly you aren't (intelligent or comfortable with metaphors) so I'd be happy to discuss the actual processor data sheet.

http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/2F33B5691BBB8769872571D10065F7D5/$file/ppc750cl_ds_dd20_5oct06.pdf

That's the link to the new power pc chip. Here's a free pass for you to put one or both feet in your mouth before you respond: I work in the semiconductor industry.
    first of all, your argument was very nicely put and i enjoyed reading it and seeing your view. second of all, can u read my thread on " stereotypical/ignoratn views on the wii" and comment on it? the title is not necessariyl targeting u, i just wanted to refer it to u for when u have a chance
    3rd of all, you work with silicon all day long?! ive always wondered how chips work and how they store information and what not. the background of how they work and how such things occur with the use of them.

Anyways, MY "speech" on my thread is basically a counter to what u said
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91
    Anyways, MY "speech" on my thread is basically a counter to what u said

I'll go check it out...

Member #
    Friends
    6669-5605-4028-6511
    come to think of it the hardcore/pro gamers actually seem to opt for nintendo. most of the people i know who own a xbox or playstation only use the pc for MSN and download music from limewire (sums them up).

WiiChat Member motherbrainrulez's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8024-1926-5495-8435
    all i want is an unbiased review

Thanks to Pepper for the sig
    I am leader of the Super Metroid fanclub

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by motherbrainrulez
    all i want is an unbiased review
    Good luck. I'd be happy to provide it, but I'm not going to buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360. If the WII had priced itself at a price point that I personally feel is more realistic, I'd buy one at launch and hope for the best.

The problem with unbiased is everyone has a bias -- even if it is in the frame of personal preferences. If you asked my daughter to give you a review of Resident Evil 4, she'd give it a 0.0/10. She has absolutely no interest. Ask her the same about Star Wars Lego? 10/10.

You'll have to go play the units in the stores and be your own unbiased reviewer...

wiiiing since 11/19/06 wiiCrazy's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0738-7957-2604-0610
    hhahahaha i hope alot of people dont buy a Wii till a year later...leaves one more for me!!

X, I'll own u N ELEBITS! the_peripheral's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2256-8779-8853-1823
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn
    If the WII had priced itself at a price point that I personally feel is more realistic...
    How is it possible to say something so dumb in a public place and not be embarrassed that other people are going to read it?

The Wii comes WITH A GAME. That alone brings the price for the actual system down to $200. And I know that Wii Sports isn't exactly a huge priority on anybody's "games I want" list, but it's a game nonetheless.

The only conclusion that I can come up with from that statement is that you are either very poor, or lack a fully functional brain. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

Member #
    Friends
    I too would have liked a stronger Nintendo but look at the price, controllers, and the awsome Nintendo games - don't see how you can argue that

a;lfjljljf2;lasf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Ads