LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    It isn't illegal to have a copy if you have the original. It is however illegal if you don't have the original.

If you're worried about the discs becoming damaged it doesn't make much sense to risk the wii itself by putting a chip in. I think the best solution is to teach your children how to change the discs carefully, do it yourself or just buy the game if the disc eventually gets destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Singhson
    LOL, this thread is a joke, either no-one really wants swapwap to know how to do this stuff, or you REALLY don't know.
    Nope, don't know at all!
    I do know that having "copies" without having the originals is illegal. And I know a lot of people who have bricked their Wiis trying to chip it.
    But apart from that I don't know anything!!
    Last edited by The_Mitch; 01-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    "It isn't illegal to have a copy if you have the original. It is however illegal if you don't have the original."

Wrong. A lot of armchair lawyers here. Go to law school, take a copyright class, then come back here and post. It is not legal to copy DVDs and Games, even for backup purposes. You probably will not get in trouble for it, but the DMCA does NOT allow for this. Ask any copyright expert, and they will tell you the same.

Member #
    Banned by Syntax for no reason, all subscribed threads and own started threads deleted by Syntax
    Friends
    4237-4091-4421-2313
    ?, what the hell happened to all the posts that were in between? theres like 4 or 5 posts missing?
    ----------Banned by Syntax----------

Member #
    Friends
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhson
    ?, what the hell happened to all the posts that were in between? theres like 4 or 5 posts missing?
    they were deleted for being off topic. anyways whether making backups of your own games is legal or not, no one really cares as long as it is made so you dont ruin the originals. the only way to play backups is to mod your wii which means opening it up and soldering a chip to the DVD drive. you can do this yourself or send it off to a company that does it for you (you pay for the chip, shipping, and labor so it can get kinda pricey). personally i would send it off to a professional that knows what they are doing. you can BURN the game with any DVD burner but im not sure what you need to rip the games. ive modded the original xbox and the way to rip games was to plug the xbox DVD drive into a PC and run a special program or rip the game to the xboxs HDD and FTP it to your PC. im not sure if you have to somehow hook your wii up to your PC or if you can use any DVD drive with special software. i say since you have kids, go ahead and get your wii modded so if they do ruin the game you can just reburn a new copy

KARPMOD SUCKS
    Moderator @ Wii Chat
    [PM]
    No, I will NOT add you to my friends list.
    [/SIZE]
    Mitch2025 - Stays crunchy, even in milk.

Thanks DBloke for the sig

I miss my weighted companion cube

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    CD's dont last a lifetime? I never notice one of my cd's begin to disintegrate or anything.

If you mean by scratches then thats your own fault because you should be careful. None of my CDs have a single blemish on them.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I'm not sure if Nintendo did this with the Wii, but in order to make copies of the Gamecube games, you had to use the console itself do to the fact that the console had to read the Disks backwards. That was how they were written onto the Disks

Check my Profile for information on my PC Tech Support services.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Check my Blog for "Program of the Week" every Tuesday. Suggestions welcome, PM me.

Member #
    Friends
    2482-6460-3144-9934
    Quote Originally Posted by nxcmp
    I'm not sure if Nintendo did this with the Wii, but in order to make copies of the Gamecube games, you had to use the console itself do to the fact that the console had to read the Disks backwards. That was how they were written onto the Disks
    You didn't have to do the dump from the console.

There were programs made to actually burn the disks backwards from your PC

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-

Spoiler Alert!

52 Members and still growing!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by FRuMMaGe
    You didn't have to do the dump from the console.

There were programs made to actually burn the disks backwards from your PC
    I have thought of that or just take a tools like DD and tac and just have it write it backwards which I think it's something like (#tac /dev/dvd | dd of=.gamecube_game.iso) I never tried it I'm not sure if that would even work anyways.
    Last edited by nxcmp; 01-28-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Check my Profile for information on my PC Tech Support services.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Check my Blog for "Program of the Week" every Tuesday. Suggestions welcome, PM me.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpkick
    Wrong. A lot of armchair lawyers here. Go to law school, take a copyright class, then come back here and post. It is not legal to copy DVDs and Games, even for backup purposes.
    Armchair lawyers? Seems you're one of them. It is not illegal to make/own a copy as long as you have the original. It maybe illegal if you bypass the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) which is on most commercial dvds, however it is NOT illegal to make a backup ((referred to as archival)) copy when you already own the original. It's illegal to circumvent the anti-piracy technology.

Come back when you learn how to quote.

"I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash against me and be broken!"

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    CD's dont last a lifetime? I never notice one of my cd's begin to disintegrate or anything.

If you mean by scratches then thats your own fault because you should be careful. None of my CDs have a single blemish on them.

yeah, they dont. i've left 1 disk in my cd player for months, it skips....
    cd players are able to scratch them....

if i messed up any of my stuff when i was a kid, i got my butt kicked!

Ads