+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo
    The Model is a Samsung LN-R238WA. If you can find something to help that'd be amazing. I don't know very much about TV's.
    Here are your Specs on that Model

Product Features and Technical Details

HD-ready widescreen LCD television with 23-inch PVA screen; 23 x 17.4 x 3.5 inches (W x H x D) without stand
    1,366 x 768 native pixel resolution; accepts HD signals up to full 1080i; includes HDMI and PC inputs
    Amazing 3,000:1 contrast ratio, high 500 cd/m2 brightness, broad 170-degree viewing angles (H x V)
    Samsung DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) enhances images; features a 181-channel NTSC tuner
    3 watts per channel x 2; SRS TruSurround XT simulates dynamic surround sound from any 2 speakers
    Technical Details
    Color: Black with silver accents
    Screen size: 23 inches
    TV type: TFT LCD with Samsung's Patterned Vertical Alignment (PVA) screen
    HDTV capable: Yes
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    3:2 pulldown detection: No
    Speaker wattage per channel: 3
    Number of speakers: 2
    Digital-cable-ready: No
    Flash-memory port: No
    Includes radio: No
    Comb filter: 3D Y/C digital
    Signal type: NTSC (480i, 480p), decoded ATSC (720p, 1080i)
    Picture enhancements: DNIe, brightness sensor, My Color Control
    Picture modes: Custom/Standard/Dynamic/Movie, plus zoom modes for: Wide/Panorama/Zoom 1/Zoom 2/4:3
    Sound modes: Standard, Music, Movie, Speech, Custom
    Picture freeze: Yes
    Closed captioning: Yes
    Multilingual menu: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
    Parental control: V-Chip
    Picture-in-picture (PIP): Yes (single-tuner with split-screen mode)
    Remote control: Yes
    SAP: Yes
    Sleep timer: Yes (max 360 minutes)
    Auto power off: Yes
    Surround sound: SRS TruSurround XT
    VGA/SVGA input: 1 x D-Sub 15-pin (VGA~WXGA)
    Audio outputs: 1 stereo analog (left/right) RCA
    Audio inputs: 5 stereo analog (left/right) RCA, 1 stereo minijack (for PC)
    Video outputs: 0
    Video inputs: 8
    Headphone jack: Yes (.125-inch)
    Digital video input: 1 (HDMI)
    Component video: 2 (480i/480p/720p/1080i)
    Composite video: 2
    S-video: 1
    RF: 1
    Other ports: Anynet (RS-232C) remote component linking (with other Samsung AV equipment)
    Monitor: No (includes NTSC tuner)
    Pixels: 1,366 x 768
    Contrast ratio: 3,000:1
    Brightness: 500 cd/m2
    Dot pitch: Information not available
    Horizontal viewing angle: 170 degrees
    Vertical viewing angle: 170 degrees
    Response time: 12 ms
    Lamp life: 60,000 hours
    Color temperature control: Yes (Cool2, Cool1, Standard, Warm1, Warm2)
    Front AV jacks: No
    Side AV jacks: No
    Sound leveler system: Yes
    Wall mountable: Yes, VESA (100 mm x 200 mm)
    Power supply: AC 100 to 120, 60 Hz
    Power consumption: 100 watts (standby: less than 1 watt)
    Energy Star compliant: Yes
    UPC: 036725 2 2380 6
    Item width: 23 inches
    Item height: With stand: 19.1 inches; without stand: 17.4 inches
    Item depth: With stand: 8.1 inches; without stand: 3.5 inches
    Item weight: 19 pounds

Based on the info its going to look best with 720p/1080i resolution... Honestly i dont understand why 480p in 16:9 would look bad at all on that t.v. specially being just 23 inches, It could be something acctually wrong with your T.V., Make sure you have quality cables hooked into the t.v. from the Wii...

If that doesn't work you can still try this

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-...converter.html

He has awsome products for a good price,look around at his other scalers/upconverters, just try to find one that ends up converting whatever style input you decide to go with over to 1080i for your best picture possibal....Alot of the smaller HD t.v's are just upgraded Computer monitors... They were never originally intended for t.v. signal and they may have skimped out on fixing that issue... could be why your having such problems...
    Last edited by wezeles; 01-29-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterculius
    ok, in an update to my previous post...I just got component cables for my wii and am currently running it in HD. It looks absolutely gorgeous!!! So its definitely a TV issue, not HD or Wii.
    The component cables are providing a higher-quality signal to the TV for it to upconvert the Wii's SD signal to the TV's HD display, so it's doing a better job. In fact, makes even more sense if you're also now running the Wii at 480p vs. 480i as a non-interlaced signal would be easier to up-convert.

I don't understand how someone can say "don't listen to that guy who says it's the SD graphics" and then immediately follows with "I don't really know much about TVs". If you don't know much, you're not in a position to discredit those of us who do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Banned by Syntax for no reason, all subscribed threads and own started threads deleted by Syntax
    Friends
    4237-4091-4421-2313
    hmmmmmmmmmmm, 1080i (interlaced) 1080p (progressive)
    I hear the p's better than the i, is there a visible difference?

Also credit to "wezeles", well done you really know your stuff!
    Last edited by Singhson; 01-29-2008 at 02:44 AM.
    ----------Banned by Syntax----------

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    The component cables are providing a higher-quality signal to the TV for it to upconvert the Wii's SD signal to the TV's HD display, so it's doing a better job. In fact, makes even more sense if you're also now running the Wii at 480p vs. 480i as a non-interlaced signal would be easier to up-convert.
    ya i know, i was just saying mine worked so it can't be an issue of the Wii's graphics or the SD going to HD. Must be the guys TV.

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Its really nobodys fault... for the past 50 years the biggest advancement in T.V.'s was from Black and White into Color...

T.V.'s have always been in a world of there own in terms of technology. It's not like computers doubling its own power every couple years... All you had to do was go to the store with a size in mind then pick the one with the best picture hopefully it would last you a good 5-10 years... Simple...

But with the intorduction of the DTV switch and with it HDTV,EDTV Format, allowing for use of what use to be computer technology of the LCD and Plasma displays, now its more like buying a computer than buying a T.V.

You have to research very carefully, look at compatability, and hope the model you pick wont be obsolete in the next couple years! A lot of people are going to get burned by HDTV's im afraid, and its really not all there fault, the industry is just hunting for sales in what they see as a new market and there is no set answer on whats going to be the new standard 5-10 years from now...

They are just loving the spike in sales because of the rush to get the new technology... Something they couldn't offer before because there was no garantee it would be supported...
    The FCC should have had strict Clasifications and rules in place before they ever aloud DTV ready t.v's to hit the market. I'm not saying limit the technology but to better organize it for the public to understand.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhson
    hmmmmmmmmmmm, 1080i (interlaced) 1080p (progressive)
    I hear the p's better than the i, is there a visible difference?
    The "i" stands for "interlaced" and the "p" for "progressive" (in other words, non-interlaced). Interlaced means that in the first cycle, only every other line of the image frame is sent on the signal, then on the next cycle, the alternate lines are sent. So it takes two cycles to get the full image frame. 480 and 720 line resolutions can also be interlaced or progressive. Standard-def is 480i. The Wii can do 480p, but that's not "high def" since it's still only 480 lines of resolution. 480p requires component cables though and can't be displayed by standard TVs. High-def TVs can show 480p which incorrectly causes people to refer to 480p as "HD" when it's not. There are certain SD devices which can handle a progressive signal, such as some projectors.

A non-interlaced (progressive) signal will look a lot more-stable, especially during fast-motion video sequences. So much so, that many AV enthusiasts consider 720p to be superior to 1080i.

Upscaling requires considerable processing time. Before upscaling can take place, the image frame must be de-interlaced into the frame buffer. An interlaced signal will take twice as long to acquire that full de-interlaced frame. So a progressive signal is better for upscaling.

That said, the type of images sent by the Wii do not lend themselves well to upscaling algorithms. Since many HD TVs do the upscaling themselves, you might find you get better results by turning off the upscaling feature on the TV and instead do plain simple image zooming/magnification. Ironically, the fancier, more-expensive HDTVs are going to the be the ones with built-in upscaling (perhaps enabled by default), while the cheaper HDTVs will only offer zooming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Ads