LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Got lifeboat? sremick's Avatar
    Member #
    27061
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,130
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Note that bulb life is affected by number of "firings" and misuse. For example, rapid switching on-and-off is bad. Also, not letting the machine go through the proper cool-down is also bad. It's very common for users to just hit the hard power-off switch, vs. the soft-off button which will run the fan for a while to cool the bulb.

    I'm not saying you mis-used the projectors, but if you weren't the only one using them, this sort of mis-use is common and go a long way to reducing bulb life. If you watch the AV forums, people who actually know how to properly care for their units (unlike Joe Blow average user, not you but probably a lot of the other people who used the projectors you had to then maintain) and are the primary/sole users often get more than the rated life-expectancy out of their bulbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Considering ive yet to see anyone in my life use a projector to watch TV, im going to say you are party of a minority of people who think using a projecter is more cost efficient and overall better than just buying a HDTV.

    Seriously wtf? Using a projecter to watch TV? The only people who are going to do that are people who are stupid or don't really give a shit. You also have to have a near dark room and a big space of all with a projection slide. Also you obviously need a place to put the projector that it faces the wall nicely without anyone blocking the path.

    Also im pretty sure you would need a sound system because ive never heard of a projector that emits sounds.

    The only people who should be using a projectors are people who often give presentations off computers or some rich guy trying to create a theatre in their house.

    Now I could be wrong about some things, but im pretty sure im right about you being apart of the minority who thinks projectors is better.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

  4. #13
    Got lifeboat? sremick's Avatar
    Member #
    27061
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,130
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Considering ive yet to see anyone in my life use a projector to watch TV
    Well, that anecdotal experience proves nothing.

    im going to say you are party of a minority of people who think using a projecter is more cost efficient and overall better than just buying a HDTV
    I don't deny us being a minority. But what's your evidence that a non-projector is better? I offered up plenty of specific reasons supporting my side. Yours seems to be "I don't know anyone who has one, so it can't be better". I don't see you refuting my points.

    Seriously wtf? Using a projecter to watch TV? The only people who are going to do that are people who are stupid or don't really give a shit.
    Now you're just being rude and out of line. Such insults are uncalled for, don't contribute anything constructive to the discussion, and weaken your side. Instead of trolling and calling those with a different opinion "stupid" people who "don't really give a shit", how about instead addressing my specific points? I can assure you, those with projectors do "give a shit". And that's a big reason why they went with a projector... because instead of just doing what everyone else does, or some outdated concept of what is "normal", they looked at the evidence and the factors and weighed them and saw the benefits of this new technology, even though it's a new paradigm in the idea of home "TV".

    Your arguments are pretty weak. I gave specific points. You instead just call us "stupid", claim we "don't really give a shit", and then just say we can't be right because you don't know of anyone with a projector. Well guess what? Once upon a time, the same arguments could've been used about having a flat-panel TV or computer monitor. Early on, they were more-expensive and something for the elite. Then there was this long period where although they were smaller, cheaper, and gave a better-quality image, people still resisted them because they were so entrenched in their traditional mindset that a TV/monitor should be a big tube. And now look... most every new TV on the shelves is flat panel.

    Am I saying projectors are right for everyone? Of course not. But once you start talking 50+ inches and being willing to spend $1000+ on it, it only makes sense to start thinking beyond a big expensive panel of dots. There's better technology for pulling that off, that actually costs less (even factoring in the cost of the occasional bulb).

    You also have to have a near dark room
    Just goes to show how out-of-touch you are with the subject you are trying to debate. Plenty of modern projectors throw out enough lumens to be seen in your average room lighting.

    and a big space of all with a projection slide
    Again, you're wrong. All it takes is any neutral-colored surface. Many people just shine them on the wall. And you don't need a "big space". The bigger the space, the bigger image you can get, but you don't have to have any specific size space. Every projector manufacturer includes a chart for determining the screen size with a given throw distance. It doesn't take much distance to pull off 50" though.

    Also you obviously need a place to put the projector that it faces the wall nicely without anyone blocking the path.
    Rarely a problem, and projectors are small. Just how many have you set up?

    Also im pretty sure you would need a sound system because ive never heard of a projector that emits sounds.
    And I don't know too many people without a home stereo of some sort that they can easily hook up into it. And honestly, just about any set of stereo speakers is going to sound better than what is included in your TV. Hell, on my 36" tube I hooked up a $50 set of 2.1 computer speakers that sounded several-times better than what was built into it (before I upgraded to a 5.1 surround-sound receiver).

    The only people who should be using a projectors are people who often give presentations off computers or some rich guy trying to create a theatre in their house.
    Again, shows you how out-of-touch you are with the current state of the industry and the technology. Heck, even my cousin has a cheap standard-def projector in his bedroom. He loves playing console game systems on it (he has several) but he watches TV too.
    Last edited by sremick; 02-04-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

  5. #14
    I am Casual Caliko's Avatar
    Member #
    47263
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    433
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    Quote Originally Posted by flight1991
    well. im thinking about 1200. I dont know though
    It depends... what are your needs?? Do you want just any 720p TV? If so find the cheapest LCD on the market and buy it. It'll be "HD" but oh boy will it have an ugly picture-but if that's what makes you happy then OK.

    As a gamer it's always a bad idea to use a LCD or Plasma. I understand that nowadays screen burn in has been reduced, but by how much really?? It's still there. You don't want to spend $1,200 and have burn in problems 4 years later.

    50" is pretty large. How far away will you be from the display?

    If less than 8 feet, then definately an HD CRT. ~$150-$1,500

    If farther than 8 feet, A small plasma ~42". ~$800-$3,000

    If farther than 15 feet, DEFINATELY a projector. ~$2,000+

    Thanx 4 listenin'.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE LOLOLOLOLOLOLO JAJAJAJAJAJAJA

  6. #15
    Banned Sovieto's Avatar
    Member #
    883
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,585
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    dont get a tv that big if you only want 720p.

    Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts