Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

The Console Wars: It's in Our Blood

Ever wondered why message boards erupt in passionate, competitive arguments? One Kombo reader has an interesting theory.
    February 06, 2008

by: Oiram Zonum

"As long as people have strong opinions, there will never be a shortage of wars. And in our world of consoles, I guess it's just part of the game."
    Polarization between groups of people is evident on all fronts, but is particularly poignant within the enthusiastic gaming community. At its most basic level, this gaming family is as dysfunctional as any--divided in part by petty disagreements and unrelenting opinions. The most recognizable of these (perhaps the most evident to someone who would be reading this site) is the online bickering that ensues between fans of the three major console producers, and to an extent, the PC gaming crowd. Maybe it's part of the culture that we all live in: an "us" versus "them" mentality that has become evident in politics, economics, race, gender, and other aspects of popular culture. Or maybe it's just part of the game.

What I mean is, perhaps it is the nature of our gaming culture to be competitive and divisive. After all, the early video game/arcade revolution evident in the early 80s was characterized by games that recorded "high scores" that allowed a player to etch their initials into the circuitry of that particular machine. Competitiveness bloomed within this culture (as seen in the recent film "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters") and has never really died down. Most gamers who are in their late 20s or 30s remember the competitiveness of companies such as Nintendo and Sega in the early console days, or the Street Fighter fans who derided those who preferred Mortal Kombat.

Gamers have always had something to prove to somebody.

This competitive spirit has flourished even more in the internet age, where the illusion of anonymity is enough of a safeguard to bring about bitter contests and debates. Forums and comment boards often see an explosion of staunch opinions, wedging people firmly in their camps. Then there are those who choose neither camp, but unfortunately end up being categorized as people who are too rich or elitist in nature.

Not everyone falls into these camps. As a matter of fact, I would say that the majority of people who enjoy gaming don't really think about these things at all. They are not the ones that spend a lot of time reading up on the game industry at large, and they are usually unaware that a game has ever been delayed, or that a console sold a certain number of units during a particular week or month. However, it is the vocal gaming community that is seen and heard, and it would almost seem to an ordinary person that choosing between a console system is about as important as choosing a presidential candidate.

As I read through certain comments and threads on the Internet and as I peruse information on gaming-related news, I wonder if things will always be that way. What instigates a person to deride others who don't agree with their opinion? What fun would things be if everyone saw things in the same way? Not everyone is going to agree with Nintendo's approach to gaming. Not everyone is going to enjoy a gaming marathon on Xbox Live. Not everyone will be thrilled with PlayStation exclusive games. And then I look around and realize that there is no shortage of competitiveness, even outside of the gaming sphere. As I mentioned earlier, it's almost as ruthless (and disheartening) in the political sphere (especially during an election year).

But then, I realize that I shouldn't really let it get to me. As long as people have strong opinions, there will never be a shortage of wars. And in our world of consoles, I guess it's just part of the game.
    link

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    people just can't get it through their thick, vacuous, cro-magnon heads that people have a right to choose what they want, and just because they made a certain choice doesn't mean their choice is better than someone else's. THAT is why there will always be fanboy console wars, because people are ignorant and bullheaded.
    Last edited by Sterculius; 02-06-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    true that even though i am a wii fanboy

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    It not a bad thing per se. It spurs a whole market of Fanboy products inculding apparel,collectibles, and other merchandise and things like WiiChat.com/PS3chat.com/xbox360chat.com.

People love to choose sides, sitting on the sidelines watching people duke it out is never fun, well I guess it can be if you have enough popcorn and free drink refills.

Without diversity the world would be boring and stagnant. As long as you don't take it so far as to turn it into an acctual war instead of just healthy debate its nothing but fun.

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    It not a bad thing per se. It spurs a whole market of Fanboy products inculding apparel,collectibles, and other merchandise and things like WiiChat.com/PS3chat.com/xbox360chat.com.

People love to choose sides, sitting on the sidelines watching people duke it out is never fun, well I guess it can be if you have enough popcorn and free drink refills.

Without diversity the world would be boring and stagnant. As long as you don't take it so far as to turn it into an acctual war instead of just healthy debate its nothing but fun.
    yeah the nintendo has been the underdog in the gamecube era and now its the king. the console war is at its peak/end in this generation imo.

Member #
    Friends
    Says you it's a rare and depressing day when I don't log off WiiChat without having a good laugh at some fanboy, even if it's me
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Member #
    Friends
    This generation of consoles has to be the most faught war ive ever seen/heard. Maybe because PS dominated the other two generations with ease.

I agree with vash, its at its peak. I wonder if next generation will be as big.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    This generation of consoles has to be the most faught war ive ever seen/heard. Maybe because PS dominated the other two generations with ease.

I agree with vash, its at its peak. I wonder if next generation will be as big.
    he he finally we agree on something he he.next one will be not as radical as this one because nintendo will have better graphics(hopefully), ps3 will be same kinda and 36o i dont know.

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Ya this gen finnaly gave us something to talk about... The other gens although just as important always had a fairly obvious winner, switching hands every so often from one company to the next. PS did have a good couple gens, and Nintendo is due, but id like to see our fairly new commer "MS" take lead soon aswell...

No matter what happens though we are really getting our moneys worth this time around. It has been a while since such heated competition took place in gaming. Among fans and the companys alike.

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    Ya this gen finnaly gave us something to talk about... The other gens although just as important always had a fairly obvious winner, switching hands every so often from one company to the next. PS did have a good couple gens, and Nintendo is due, but id like to see our fairly new commer "MS" take lead soon aswell...

No matter what happens though we are really getting our moneys worth this time around. It has been a while since such heated competition took place in gaming. Among fans and the companys alike.
    yeah last good war was with nintendo and sega back in the 90swith snes and genesis. oh boy good old days.

Ads