Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    A New Legend Is REBORN!! Hylian's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4222-0782-2494-5105
    My friend King stated it very nicely!I'm a retro gamer and i just wanna have at least 20 VC games simultaneously ready for playing!!! This memory shortage is another one of Ninty's faults that's really difficult to solve,now. WE DEMAND FULL EXTERNAL HDD COMPATIBILITY, NOT EVEN ONE MODEL EXCLUDED, WITH HIGH SPEED MODE FOR INSTANT PLAY!!!
    Quality,Not Quantity!!

Wii username: Hylian
    Wii Code: 4222 0782 2494 5105

Mario Strikers code: 206281 234719

Dragonball Friend Code: 038-782-914-501

Member #
    Friends
    SD cards are cheap. Bought a 2 gig card 2 weeks ago on ebay for 97 cents.
    Works perfect. All my VC games are backed up on this. If I run out of internal, just delete the ones I aint gonna play and copy the ones of the card to internal.
    PITA yes, but until Ninny comes up with a system update, thats about your only alternative.

Lucky...

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    If Nintendo allowed SD cards for VC people would hack their Wii. Of coarse the other fact is people have been downloading Emulators and ROMS of NES and SNES games 6-8 years before the Wii ever launched.

I backed up all my NES and SNES games on my hard drive over 4 years ago, then later moved them to a single CD. Backing up copies of something you own is legal. However now that VC exists my computer copies are collecting dust. I prefer to play them on the Wii, along with new games I never played like Sonic 3. I'm pretty sure this is the same for most people that use VC. Some will steal if they enable SD cards, but more people like me will buy the games since the price is very low and the reward is very high.

Overall it's more gain than loss, Nintendo needs to acknowledge EMUs, ROMs have existed far longer than VC with online gameplay like ZBattle. If they want to compete against that they need to enable SD cards and later online gameplay. If not XBL and Sony's Home will pass them by in 2-3 years.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by sagema
    If Nintendo allowed SD cards for VC people would hack their Wii.
    They already allow the backing-up of VC games to the SD card. How is simply allowing the games to be run from the SD card any bigger of a risk? The cat is already out of the bag there, and Nintendo doesn't seem to mind. So that can't be the reason.

Besides, people are already hacking their Wii, and making the SD card actually useful in the ways I've described before isn't going to increase this any.

Overall it's more gain than loss, Nintendo needs to acknowledge EMUs, ROMs have existed far longer than VC with online gameplay like ZBattle. If they want to compete against that they need to enable SD cards and later online gameplay.
    I'm having a hard time understanding how allowing the use of SD cards as seamless memory upgrades (vs. just a backup mechanism) has anything to do with ROMs and piracy. Especially given the fact that Nintendo already allows one to backup and restore VC games to/from SD cards. Please explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    The difference between being able to play from the SD card vs. backing up from it is as simple as this. Imagine a saved game on a memory card, sure it's a saved game but you can not play the game itself from the card. Basically you are saving an image of the game via SD card. What they are saying is that what if there was a channel that showed each game (in its entirety) you have on the SD card and allowed it to be played directly from it vs. having to be "restored" to the Wii's memory to be played.

About the Wii's internal memory, there is a video on You Tube about a company called Semi Conductor taking apart a Wii. They discovered that it in fact has a chip with 4GB of flash memory on top of the 512MB that we all know and hate. A simple update may unlock the 4GB of memory when the DS Demo channel comes out, who knows? Also, you guys can't REALLY think Nintendo (the original king of home consoles) would not forsee this problem and have something ready for it?

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    The Wii could use that space for developers. If that's true then the 4gb is null. It will be a priority to developers and NOT extra space for VC.

It's probably used to reduce load times, which makes sense. Just look at the PS3, it's a load beast! Ever load when you bring up the menu screen? Raise the bar Sony! In those terms all consoles are last gen, because 2 of them promised loading screens would be a thing of the past, and all of them are still using loading screens. I'm not sure how much of that memory goes to reducing load times, or it's like Virtual Memory on your computer.

SD cards save VC games? I thought they could only store save data? I'll be getting a SD card once Brawl comes out. To store replays, maps, and port music into future games.

Member #
    Friends
    No, the VC game progress is not saved to the SD card. The VC game progress is saved automatically because the Wii uses software emulation for its VC games. The SD card saves the "channel" info but does not oallow you to play directly from the SD card, only transfer back to Wii internal memory. The 4GB flash memory could be used for ALOT of things including decreasing load times, updates, overclocking reasons, etc. It's WAY too early to know but know that Nintendo forsaw the space and graphics issue long before we thought about discussing it... they have us covered, trust me....

Member #
    Friends
    7190-3324-3845-8331
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawVAuto
    About the Wii's internal memory, there is a video on You Tube about a company called Semi Conductor taking apart a Wii. They discovered that it in fact has a chip with 4GB of flash memory on top of the 512MB that we all know and hate.
    Could someone, in theory, just replace the 512MB with a larger size and increase the internal memory?

Wii, 2 Remotes, 2 Nunchucks, Classic Controller, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Zelda: TP, Resident Evil 4, Metal Slug Anthology, Guitar Hero III
    VC: Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, Ninja Gaiden II, Sonic 2, Shinobi III, Soldier Blade, Blazing Lasers, Devil's Crush, Lords of Thunder, Harvest Moon, Super Metroid, Castlevania IV, Zelda: Link to the Past, F-Zero GX, Street Fighter II: Turbo, Axelay

Member #
    Friends
    I have all the retro games for play on my PC. I have only downloaded my true favorites off of VC so I will never have trouble with memory. But I have never downloaded any N64 games on there which I'm sure take alot more space. I do agree that more storage space would be better for the ones who download alot.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dav_4550
    Could someone, in theory, just replace the 512MB with a larger size and increase the internal memory?
    It would depend on the memory controller... and, of course, your abilities to solder surface-mount components with lots of pins by hand (which aren't designed to be soldered by hand). Surface-mount rework equipment exists, but unless you're doing a lot of such work, the price is prohibitive.

http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/surm1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Ads