LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Loads of help needed please

Hi. First time poster here.
    Having several problems here - which might need several people to assist us.

First problem is getting connected online. I am getting a very strange error code. Now this was the case when I was with Sky Wireless. I have now changed over to Virgin Media, and am getting similar problems. Virgin Media is not through a wireless router and is cable. I think I am going to need a cable. Is this connected from the phone socket? Which cable do I need? The engineers did say that because it was cable I did not need one of the splitters that go between the socket and the line. Can I use my Sky Wireless Router anywhere here? I have had my Sky subscription ended now, so am not sure wether i is just the modem that will not work or the router as well. I am a bit of a technophobe. I need an idiots guide to what I need to be able to usemy Wii to get onto the Internet, and also to be able to log onto te Wii channel and download games. The Wii was purchsedin Germany in December, but is working fine. Will this mea a change in the configuration settings?
    Can anyone / any people help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2770-2242-9089-2654
    You need to buy a lan adapter. It will come with an ethernet cable. I am using it for my wii. and i connected it to my wii into the router.

SSBB code:4553-9644-8994
    Pm me if you want to add me. And prepare to lose!

If you need help getting wi-fi, PM me and I will try to help.

-[Join the Master Chief/Samus Fan Club]-

Member #
    Friends
    Are you saying that I need a LAN adaptor just to access the IIntendo weather and News channels on the Wii main menu screen?

Member #
    Friends
    2770-2242-9089-2654
    no. It will give you online so you can do that and much more like shopping on the wii shop channel and playing online.

SSBB code:4553-9644-8994
    Pm me if you want to add me. And prepare to lose!

If you need help getting wi-fi, PM me and I will try to help.

-[Join the Master Chief/Samus Fan Club]-

Member #
    Friends
    At the moment I cannot even get onto the Wii shopping channel..... (I did say I was useless!)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    As you've been already told, if you don't want to or can't use the built-in wireless of the Wii, then you need to buy the USB LAN adapter for the Wii. This will allow you to use a regular network cable to hook the Wii onto your home network.

If you don't already have a home router to then plug the Wii into, you'll need to get one of those too.

More info here:
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys..._na/online.jsp
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    4221-9039-0966-9591
    Well, you *have* to have an internet connection of some sort for the Wii. Either a wireless network to connect it to, or an ethernet cord plugged into the aforementioned adapter.

I'm not familiar with Sky Wireless, so I don't know what the router they gave you can offer for you. If it is a wireless router, and can be used with a different internet service provider's network (maybe call Sky Wireless and ask), then it should be able to get your Wii online. If not, then you'll either need a different wireless router or access point, or the aforementioned adapter.

You won't need a "cable" (like a cable television cable--called coaxial) to connect the Wii. If all you have is the Virgin cable modem, you'll need a router so that you can plug in more than one device to share the internet service. If you're really a non-techie, and can afford it, it'd probably be easiest to get a router (wouldn't have to be wireless) and the adapter.

I like my Wii...A LOT!!! pantherfan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    First what the heck is a sky router? I would just get a regular cable modem with a lan adapter or (the better option) a linksys or netgear wireless router

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    pantherfan: this thread is over 2 weeks old and long dead. Please don't bump old threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Ads