LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50
  1. #11
    ssb4life mushroomedmario's Avatar
    Member #
    23292
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ontario, canada
    Posts
    3,828
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    I agree, except for the article being biased. Where does he claim SSBB and Mario Kart will not sell? Infact he says those are the two games that will be good.



    Which is true... Those are the top 2 games Wii owners are looking foward to. Those are the two games im pre-ordering for my Wii.

    Anyway, the reason why I responded to this thread was for once the article was almost all true and I was curious to see how many people would bash the article when there are 100's of threads talking about how Nintendo needs to improve on these things. Yet when an article is made, its all lies?
    huh the only thing i see on that article that the wii needs to improve on is online, which i agree to an extent, but online is one of the very least things i care about hwen it comes to gaming (i have never gone online on bwii, madden or guitar hero 3)

    as for software? i really have to disagree with the brawl and mario kart statement, they're just the ones we look forward to the MOST

    i'm looking forward to animal crossing, but there's nothing to get me hyped about it, as for mario kart and ssbb, there is constant information coming out on the internet

    and if anybody here owned past nintendo consoles, there's plenty to look forward to, star fox, kirby, pikmin etc. not to mention any new franchises that shiggy will come up with

    as long as shiggy still works for nintendo, there's always something to look forward to..

    this article is very well written and in most cases spot on, unfortunately. If only the Wii had 720p support (not more poplygons or better gfx, just higher res) support for mic, no friend code crap and a harddisk the Wii would have been alot more attractive to 3rd party devs.
    no it isn't, there are plenty of mistakes there, mario kart*, lack of commas, an extra space between a word and the period .
    Last edited by mushroomedmario; 02-17-2008 at 11:15 AM.


    the mario that's roomed with mush
    my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

  2. #12
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomedmario
    huh the only thing i see on that article that the wii needs to improve on is online, which i agree to an extent, but online is one of the very least things i care about hwen it comes to gaming (i have never gone online on bwii, madden or guitar hero 3)

    as for software? i really have to disagree with the brawl and mario kart statement, they're just the ones we look forward to the MOST

    i'm looking forward to animal crossing, but there's nothing to get me hyped about it, as for mario kart and ssbb, there is constant information coming out on the internet

    and if anybody here owned past nintendo consoles, there's plenty to look forward to, star fox, kirby, pikmin etc. not to mention any new franchises that shiggy will come up with

    as long as shiggy still works for nintendo, there's always something to look forward to..



    no it isn't, there are plenty of mistakes there, mario kart*, lack of commas, an extra space between a word and the period .
    Okay, so you are not into online, but you acknowledge that Nintendo needs to improve on it.

    As for SSBB and Mario Kart, thats what I said o.O

    Which is true... Those are the top 2 games Wii owners are looking foward to. Those are the two games im pre-ordering for my Wii.
    Yes, its true there are other great franchises, but those have not been announced for 2008 nor 2009 for that matter. Also once again thats a 1st party game which the article mentioned is Wii's strong point.

    As for your question about 3rd-party games. Yes it does matter, maybe not for the 100% Nintendo loving hardcores who only care about 1st party games. But for ALOT of the people who also want some 3rd party games, it does matter. Low 3rd-party sales will keep developers away from the Wii because it shows that they will not sell, which the article said that!

    3rd party developers arenít spending much time or money to put out worth while games for the Wii.
    The only logical conclusion I can come to is that developers do not believe that they will see sufficient returns on their investment.
    So, either you didn't actually read everything or its YOU thats biased. But im pretty sure you did read it, so im guessing you just don't like any negativity towards the Wii.

    Also I found this interesting, because its SOOOO TRUE:

    Whenever anyone mentions anything negative about the Wii they will quickly point out the ridiculous numbers in which the console is selling in.
    No doubt someone will try to bash me, but ill be on CoD4, so ill probably not be back for a while.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

  3. #13
    ssb4life mushroomedmario's Avatar
    Member #
    23292
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ontario, canada
    Posts
    3,828
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    Low 3rd-party sales will keep developers away from the Wii because it shows that they will not sell, which the article said that!
    no it didn't, you backed it up with a quote, but that quote doesn't back up your point, yes it says 3rd parties are concerned about if their games will sell or not, but it never says that they base that on the sales of other third party games, because i'm sure major third parties don't make a decision to release a game on the wii due to the sales of ninjabread man

    your views and my views of the mario kart and ssbb differ, so i didn't say what you said

    you agreed with the article, and i said that they're the ones to look forward to the most, but there's still plenty to look forward to, thus disagreeing with the article, personally there's plenty to look forward to on all consoles imo

    i've never used the wii's sales as an arguement as to why the wii is my console of choice, i bought it for the software

    i personally wouldn't bash you because your opinion differs from me(unless you consider this post bashing)


    the mario that's roomed with mush
    my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

  4. #14
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    16487
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,146
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    The article is biased because he thinks that 1st party Nintendo titles wont keep them ontop compared to the exclusives 3rd partys going to the other consoles. Any Nintendo consumer can tell you 1st party Nintendo ALWAYS dominates sales!
    Nintendo has enough 1st party "and will keep pushing them out as needed" to keep up with the hot selling 3rd party titles on the other consoles. You can see that flat out in sales numbers of there first party they keep right up witht he big dogs!

    Look at the top games for the other consoles they have there exclusives titles and a couple 1st party titles like Halo/God of War that do great! They all have there own fan following and almost a guaranteed sales numbers just because of the name of the game.

    The ALL also have these popular 3rd party multi platform titles like RE/GH/MOH/007/Tony Hawk, games that will make it to every system in some way or another and will all do well, maybe not top 10 sellers but more than enough to make the investment in the game worth it.

    This argument that 3rd party doesn't sell well on Wii has already been brought up.

    Most of the current 3rd party games have very little invested and are casual crap, or ported ps2/xbox titles from last gen just because they didn't want to invest in the Wii at first not knowing what kind of return it would bring.
    With the exception of a few games like No More Heros/Zak and Wiki there isnt alot of "decent" 3rd party in the first place, so why would it sell well?
    We have also already discussed that they haven't advertised the GOOD 3rd party titles and this is probably the main reason why they havent sold well fromt he start, although over time we are seeing these titles sell much better with word of mouth.

    With a Console like the Wii with a large population of casual owners you HAVE TO HAVE TO advertise to them via the normal sources. The reason PS2 had such sucess wasnt because they had 120 million "amount of consoles sold" Hardcore gamers, but the fact they had hardcore and alot of casual with word of mouth and endless endless commercials and advertisements for games such as GTA of course they sell well, no matter how good or bad the game is people still pick it up because they heard the name.

    How many people heard of No More Heros/Zak and Wiki outside the hardcore? I've only seen it on the internet in reviews, maybe a couple of t.v. shows dedicated to gaming like G4, but beyond that nothing! Then look at a game like GH3 for Wii it sells out every time it hits the shelfs, they honestly cant make enough of them even with the dobly issue and no downloadable content it sells like mad because of advertisement!

    This is not Nintendo's fault, There job is not to help sell 3rd party titles, in the end they make way more profit off there own 1st party games getting back every cent of profit instead of just license royalties off of 3rd party games.

    The problem is Nintendo and 3rd party have never done huge buisness together specially in the last 10-15 years so this is new and they need to find a common ground when sharing advertisement space. I'm sure they will figure it out soon same way as xbox/ps has done with 3rd party sharing ad. space and money. Just because Nintendo isn't use to spoon feeding money to 3rd party doesn't mean they wont. It's a business if it makes a profit they will do it! And with this many Wii's in the world 3rd party can only lose by not supporting the Wii and supporting it as well as the other 2 less selling consoles!

    The only problem with the Wii is how underestimated it is. Thats no ones fault but the people that underestimate it, they will be the ones not able to "print money" ha ha, the same way Nintendo does.
    Last edited by wezeles; 02-17-2008 at 12:29 PM.


  5. #15
    WiiChat Member Skorp's Avatar
    Member #
    8594
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,250
    Friends
    5
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    E3 this year will be very telling of wii support. I can't wait to hear what 3rd parties have planned.

  6. #16
    wii are cool!!!!! jimbo's Avatar
    Member #
    19054
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    glasgow,scotland
    Posts
    512
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    its a fad as theres no 3rd party support, it not our faults... if they brung out a good game that appeals to me ( e.g. nmh) ill buy it. but im not going to buy all the crap we've been giving just to boost hardware sales.
    wii game playing: GH3
    wii friend code:1778 9634 2151 5464
    gh3 code:502628796471

  7. #17
    WiiChat Member raisinghelen's Avatar
    Member #
    19621
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,052
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomedmario
    as for software? i really have to disagree with the brawl and mario kart statement, they're just the ones we look forward to the MOST.
    I agree, there are plenty of Wii titles that im looking forward to other than SSBB and Mario Kart. It would be much the same with PS3/360, the only games that i really know about that are coming out are MGS and GTA so you could say that is all they have to look forward to as well.

    I know a few Wii owners who only did buy the Wii for Wii Sports and for quite a while it was all that they owned. They all have started buying other games now though and Wii software sales show this as a regular occurance amongst Wii owners.

    If 3rd parties were to really look at current sales then they would know that a Wii game costing $5million would make them more money than a PS3 game costing them $20million, if it was actually advertised properly. Problem seems to be that a lot look and see Wii Play and Carnival Games selling well so they think that all Wii owners want is mini games, then they release a duff mini game compilation which dosent sell so they go back to their stance of 'only Nintendo made games sell'. They ignore big sellers like Guitar Hero 3 because 'it sells well on anything', yet if they put some effort into a Wii game and marketed it as strongly as say Assassins Creed was, then it should be just as big a seller on the Wii. Until a 3rd party steps up with a successful AAA title on Wii though i doubt that much will change, so most 3rd parties will continue to have a lack of ambition and vision.

  8. #18
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    The article is biased because he thinks that 1st party Nintendo titles wont keep them ontop compared to the exclusives 3rd partys going to the other consoles. Any Nintendo consumer can tell you 1st party Nintendo ALWAYS dominates sales!

    Nintendo has enough 1st party "and will keep pushing them out as needed" to keep up with the hot selling 3rd party titles on the other consoles. You can see that flat out in sales numbers of there first party they keep right up witht he big dogs!
    Could you quote that? I didn't see where he claimed 1st party wont keep Wii on top compared to 360/PS3.

    No one is doubting Wii's 1st party sales. The difference is that like other consoles, their 1st party sells good, but not their 3rd parties. Also even if you compare their 1st parties to 360, they are behind in sales and don't try to push that Wii Play/Wii Sports bs because its bundled.

    As for the 3rd-Parties not selling well... No one said it was Nintendo's fault. Just the fact that its not selling well hurts the Wii. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, either way it hurts it.

    Also 3rd parties don't really advertise their games for 360/PS3 either. Only a few games like Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4 actually advertised. Also the obvious sports games, wrestling, etc. Outside of AC/CoD4 those sports games have also been selling alot lower on the Wii.

    But again, no matter's who fault it is, its still hurting the Wii regardless.

    So far the only thing you seem to say that the article was wrong is claiming it was biased without an actual quote backing it up because I don't see it. As for the 3rd-party, you basically agreed with the article, the only difference is you explained why it doesnt sell as if the article lied about its reasons.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

  9. #19
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    16487
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,146
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    I never tried to claim he said anything of the sort. What I said was people keep implying that the Wii is a Fad. And his opinion I find biased because he downplays the significance of Nintendo 1st party games. The top 10 selling video game titles of all time are all Nintendo titles, Saying its a fad console because its not pushing out the same games as the other 2 consoles doesn't make it a "fad" console! It sells different style games the significance of the games are no better or worse thats all personal opinion.

    Has anyone looked at the deffinition of the word FAD? If we are going by the real deffinition then every gaming console is a fad because they get quick popularity and quickly die off after a few years... Thats the life of a gaming console!

    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    No one is doubting Wii's 1st party sales. The difference is that like other consoles, their 1st party sells good, but not their 3rd parties. Also even if you compare their 1st parties to 360, they are behind in sales and don't try to push that Wii Play/Wii Sports bs because its bundled.
    Alright Halo 3 is beating the Wii first party title's so far world wide. Besides that 360 has nothing in the range of the 1st party sales of Nintendo. If you compbine the 1st party titles of the Wii vs. the 1st party of the 360 Wii kills the 360. We all know people go out and buy 360 just for halo the same way people go out and buy Wii for Wii sports.
    Now I'm Sorry you dont agree with the sales of bundle packages being significant, but honestly its a sale they made money. On the buisness side of it they sold more and made more profit. They win period. Your own personal opinion doesn't matter when your talking about sales fuigures

    Is Halo 3 better than Wii-play? Obviously not, but its still lossing to it maybe MS should have tossed in a free headset with Halo 3, but don't knock Nintendo for making a smart buisness move

    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    As for the 3rd-Parties not selling well... No one said it was Nintendo's fault. Just the fact that its not selling well hurts the Wii. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, either way it hurts it.
    How does it hurt it? Nintendo is pulling in more cash over the past 15 months than ANY console ever made. Ya they are hurting real bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Also 3rd parties don't really advertise their games for 360/PS3 either. Only a few games like Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4 actually advertised. Also the obvious sports games, wrestling, etc. Outside of AC/CoD4 those sports games have also been selling alot lower on the Wii.
    Are you kidding me? i see endless advertisements for just about every decent game made for both the ps3/360! how many adds also have the Wii? a few but not many and most you have to look for the small Wii suymbol if any at the bottom of the screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    So far the only thing you seem to say that the article was wrong is claiming it was biased without an actual quote backing it up because I don't see it. As for the 3rd-party, you basically agreed with the article, the only difference is you explained why it doesnt sell as if the article lied about its reasons.
    Leaving out the facts might as well be a lie! and the fact that #rd party isnt putting good games on the Wii is the reason why they are not selling, not because its a fad without people buying games. Get a clue

    Quote Originally Posted by source
    In closing, the Wii has seen fantastic sales of its console, but has been very lacking in the software department. They have what is possibly the most innovative control scheme seen since the DualShock and yet it is wildly underutilised. Apart from those two factors Nintendo find themselves in the unenviable position of being completely dependant on their own software for their continued success and have made very little effort in the online scene. Unless these issues are addressed the Wii could very well be the most successful gaming fad in recent history.
    Again none of this is Nintendo's fault 3rd party just need to get off there ass and cash in on the "Fad"
    Last edited by wezeles; 02-17-2008 at 04:15 PM.


  10. #20
    Burn, my COSMOS!!! "Shion"'s Avatar
    Member #
    47543
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the cosmos
    Posts
    400
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    What a load of fanboy rubbish.These articles seem endless comming from PS/Xbox lovers the world over.

    They continue to say the Wii is a fad as an excuse as to why the "hardcore consoles" are failing "compared to Wii". Attachment rates? sure Wii attachment rates are lower they have probbaly 80% of the casual gamers do you think they are gonna have the same buget for games as the hardcore? They are still outselling them though.

    Now comparing it to the 360 is a little unfair to start, it has a year headstart over both the Wii/Ps3 so obviously people have more games for a console they have had longer.The 360 fans keep bringing up these numbers that have more to do with how long its been on the market then how well its selling. The Wii is right on 360 heals or overcomming them in just about every area except attachment rate so its the constant pointless argument. Give us 360 attachment rates at 15 months compared to the Wii at 15 months then you have an argument, not 27 Vs. 15 months thats not even debatable, its a cry for acknowledgement on 360's part!

    Game sales.. awsome point lets see what WORLD WIDE game sales are, lets look at the top 5 for all 3 systems and see if this is an argument.

    PS3: World Wide Game Sales
    1. Motorstorm____________________2.74 million
    2. Resistance: Fall of Man___________2.33 million
    3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare_____2.31 million
    4. Assassins Creed_________________2.21 million
    5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008_________1.28 million

    Xbox 360: World Wide Game Sales
    1. Halo 3_________________________7.24 million
    2. Gears Of War____________________4.97 million
    3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare______4.69 million
    4. Forza Motorsport 2________________3.95 million
    5. Assassins Creed__________________3.37 million

    Wii: World Wide Game Sales
    1. Wii Sports______________________19.07 million
    2. Wii Play_________________________9.98 million
    3. Super Mario Galaxy________________5.75 million
    4. Mario Party 8_____________________4.58 million
    5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess_4.56 Million

    So wow ya Wii is doing horribal for game sales... Or better than everyone else depends how you look at it
    Based on Console Sold numbers to Games Sold numbers its tied right up with 360. While PS3 is in last place.

    Now im sure alot of 360 fanboys will argue my numbers because they are not NPD numbers "United States Sales Numbers" so it makes them look bad "Lets be honest very little people support the 360 outside the USA compared to the other 2 systems", but the truth is video games are sold in more places than the USA and the worldwide numbers are what matter overall. And based on NPD and other worldwide sales numbers I pull it from the only unbiased source that I know of.

    Sure Nintendo doesn't have the same 3rd party lineup that the other 2 do.
    But the other 2 also don't have the 1st party support that Nintendo does, thats in black and white right in sales numbers. Does it make Wii a fad because the only ones making a good game for the console is Nintendo themself? No of course not! That just means they knew what the console could do before anyone else "obviously they built it" and made games to match the wii-mote not just tack it on to a ported game like alot of 3rd party devs did at the start.

    Now we hear all the time of 3rd party support being shifted to the Wii and a whole list of games comming out for the Wii now like Star Wars,Rockband,MX vs. ATV and a promise from 3rd party that help is on the way.

    Does Nintendo need help? Well at this rate obvously NO they are doing fine with games like Mario Galaxy,Zelda and games like SSBB and Mario Kart are going to sell just as well if not better.
    Now with the majority of the consoles sold worldwide being from the Wii, 3rd party is gonna bring extra games to it, they need the cash of gamers, for that you follow the money "Wii". It's buisness folks these concepts of pride and exclusivity twards one console means nothing except to you! To 3rd party its just a way to make a buck and thats all it ever will be!

    Is the Wii a fad? In the sence of gaming every console is a fad they only last 5 years!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad <--- learn what a fad is!

    Based on the deffinition of the word as it is to Console Gaming Hell no it's not a fad! It didn't pop on the scene shortly and quickly die out, its still going strong, with the largest next gen audience.

    Will it stay in first? Probably if they keep up with the good 1st party titles, but it won't take a crazy lead agenst the other 2 without great 3rd party support.
    We know its on the way thats not the question, it's if it will be good enough to compete with rival 3rd party support on the other 2 consoles.
    The only way they can do that is with Wii-mote controls in place of HD graphics so 3rd party has to figure it out quick to keep us happy. If not Nintendo will keep it up they already said they switched game development from 50/50 between Wii/DS to more at Wii because after a few years of the fad of DS they now have plenty of good 3rd party support and they hope the same story will come true for Wii. Only time will tell, a fad its not, if it's history making is still to be seen. So far it has claimed the title of fastest selling game console EVER. Lets see what else they can claim later on.
    All you had to say was that it is winning in sales man.

    Didn't need the long post, that makes you look like a fanboy.

    But yes, i agree with you completely.

    "The sky has responded... it gives forth light to bless the heroes' souls. And at the same time, shedding tears of love to alleviate their suffering"


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

does the wii stay on fad

,

how did the wii become so successful?

,

how did wii become successful

,

why is wii more successful

,

wii: classic or fad

Click on a term to search for related topics.