+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 480p worse??!!

kx5
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4424-9954-3124-7796
    i swtched to 480P while playing SMG i noticed i was not as happy with the look at first but the only thing that changes instead of having bold loud look it is more refined and you can see the true look it is supposed to be.
    took me a while but i like it better now

wish it was 1080P but 480 works.

the 480 or 720 or 1080 is the dewfenition of the picture
    the i is for intergreated (basically one pixil has one shade)
    the p is for progressive ( 20 shades per pixil)
    Wii console number 4424 9954 3124 7796
    mario strikers FC 124676 291536
    GH3 FC 047370061678

Wii sports,, Smackdown vs Raw 08,, Big brain Academy,, WarioWare Smooth Moves,, Wii Play,, Rapala Fishing,, Rayman 1,, Rayman 2,, Super Mario Galaxy,, Super Paper Mario,, Mario Party 8,, Mario Strikers Charged,, Barbie Island Princess,, Guitar Hero III,, Tiger woods 07, cooking mama cook off, safari rescue.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by thas
    i dont know where you buy tvs, but here in canada, a tv that is 46 inches is only in 720i or 720p.

@OP
    in 480i, the edges will seem jaggy, but in 480p it should seem more smooth. at first it might seem more blury. if you still feel that something is wrong, then you might want to change the sharpness in the menu of your tv.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

Yeah... either you don't look hard enough or Canadians get screwed over.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends

Erm...!

Quote Originally Posted by kx5
    the 480 or 720 or 1080 is the dewfenition of the picture
    the i is for intergreated (basically one pixil has one shade)
    the p is for progressive ( 20 shades per pixil)
    That's not even slightly right!

480/720/1080 is the number of vertical lines of pixels in your tv display.

'i' is for interlaced - it means it interlaces different rows/lines of pixels each frame to create an image. Every image you see is actually made up from 2 different frames - first the EVEN lines are drawn (ie: lines 2, 4, 6 etc) in the first frame, then the next frame the ODD lines are drawn (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) - which is why interlaced often shimmers slightly - it's using persistence of vision (stuff on a screen don't disappear straight away when they stop getting displayed - it's why when bright things that move on a tv often leave a bit of a trail or ghosting as the image drops back to black) to 'mix' the two frames into the correct image.

'p' is progressive - this draws ALL the lines in an image in order each and every frame, so no shimmer, and higher quality.

If your tv is showing much worse quality when using progressive, then perhaps either your Wii or tv isn't set to progressive mode.

Hope this helps,

Neil - watch my chooks!

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Anyways getting off topic with the type of t.v it is, it has nothing to do with it being an HDTV because he said it looked fine in the standard 480i and worse in 480p so his upconverter must be ok, its somthing in the settings

Eaither its an issue with the settings when using the Componet cables over the Composite cables. "only thing that changed input wise"

Or your t.v. might be struggling in progressive scan mode for some odd reason. A quick easy way to tell is maybe toss a dvd player on the same t.v., then switch between interlaced and progressive and see if there is any differance. Most DVD players have this option. When in progressive scan mode its accepting alot more information and takes a different decoding process.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by thas
    i dont know where you buy tvs, but here in canada, a tv that is 46 inches is only in 720i or 720p.

@OP
    in 480i, the edges will seem jaggy, but in 480p it should seem more smooth. at first it might seem more blury. if you still feel that something is wrong, then you might want to change the sharpness in the menu of your tv.
    Dude, seriously... this is the second post in two days that I've shaken my head at by you.

I just want to say, Thas in no way represents the general intelligence level of Canadians.

42" LG 1080p (at a pretty nice price I may add)
    Last edited by Budo; 02-26-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Ads