LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7914-9240-2291-0710

Pay-to-play Service(those who don't know)

Feb. 22nd, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO -- Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service has always been entirely free of charge, but the company will soon introduce a pay-to-play service for some games, it announced at Game Developers Conference.

"Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay And Play" will let users subscribe on a game-by-game basis to certain titles. Nintendo project leader Takashi Aoyama announced the service at GDC, but did not say what upcoming games would require payment for the service, or how much they would cost.

To avoid customer confusion, Pay-And-Play games will have a red icon on the game's box that reads Pay And Play, in place of the traditional blue Wi-Fi Connection icon, which will only be used for games that are free to play.

This is a pretty big change for Nintendo, who has always been adamant about wanting online gameplay to be free. While this might attract more developers to the service with a new revenue stream, it also might confuse consumers -- and be a hassle if the payment system isn't easy. You'll use Wii Points to pay for the online gaming, so it should be interesting to see if this extends to the DS Lite or if it's just restricted to Wii.
    Rest In Peace
    Sean Taylor
    April 1st, 1983 - November 27th, 2007
    Wii Games:Wii Sports, Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock, Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged, Super Smash Bros. Brawl

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    0426-6072-0331-5294
    this has already been posted
    Spoiler Alert!

thanks for the sig idjut
    MOH:H2 persona PwnMastr
    you think you can beat me in Brawl then try fc: 4167-4171-6395 name PwnMa
    dane cook once said
    no no no cheese extra bun seeds no bun seeds no no no yes no cheese extra pickles how much, cheese pickle extra pickles cheese bun seeds ice ...
    BK Lounge

Member #
    Friends
    i dont agree with that i think it should be free

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    it was posted before but thx for the article

how do u know that u will have to pay with wiipoints?
    also i thik it shoudnt be free if u are getting a crappy online system like now.

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

Member #
    Friends
    Hopefully they are talking about MMOs. And hopefully they are NOT talking about Monster Hunter 3.

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Ahh yet again. People take everything outta context with this Pay-to-Play deal.

I'll just quote myself because Im sick of pointing out the same things over and over again just because people wont look into it on there own.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezeles
    They have released no such information that they will charge a fee for future online service! That is nothing but speculation.

The pay to play has only been mentioned as a fee for "enhanced and extra content" to the already free online service.

Look for yourself at what Nintendo Reps have said not the people interpreting what they have said.

Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama announced a new Pay to Play program. This will be a new version of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (NWFC). Aoyama explained that NWFC will remain a free service, but forthcoming experiences will require users to pay a fee to enjoy. These services will fall under the new NWFC: Pay to Play program. Games that utilize the new service will feature a logo similar to the one used for NWFC but is orange and reads Pay to Play at the bottom.

He did say Nintendo is taking steps to ensure consumers don't mistakenly buy a Pay to Play game with the expectation that they will be able to access the entire game for no extra charge

Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama announced a new expansion to Nintendo's Wi-Fi services called Wii Pay & Play. Aoyama explained that Nintendo will begin "collecting fees for some services [that] will allow us to adapt flexibly." In other words, by subsidizing additional, unnamed service and feature costs to consumers, Nintendo feels they can explore new concepts and channels.

He added that it was a Nintendo initiative to avoid misleading consumers into thinking they can buy games that can be played entirely free when they cannot (whether or not this implies an initiative to begin charging for multiplayer content was unclear). To aid in a clear cost presentation, the blue WFC logo will be joined with a similar red logo featuring the line "Pay & Play.

So many people have taken what Nintendo has said and streched it to mean we are getting rid of Friends codes, or they are making a "Nintendo Live" service for online. Nothing of that sort has ever been said. All that has been said is they are charging for these additional services and we know that DLC/Voice Chat is comming so obviously they are probably counting some of this as Pay to Play and who knows what else.

When Rock Band comes to the Wii here in a few months it will be a Pay to Play game because you will have to pay to download extra songs, not to get online itself! This is also why they have said P2P is on a game to game basis, because obviously not all games will have features like DLC/Voice.

Its pretty obvious, but apparently Nintendo isn't taking any chances making the new "casual gamers" upset and misleading them. They are use to everything being free on the online games so far, so Nintendo is willing to do this "new logo" just so they don't get complaints about unexpected charges.

Funny thing is in the end they ended up freaking out more people than helping anything.

Just rember to look it up and read it for yourself people. Don't take anything said as true without atleast some proof to back it up.
    If you would like sources I'd be more than willing to give them. Stop the Freaking out people! Listen to what Nintendo says not what other people think they said.
    Last edited by wezeles; 03-07-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    5201-2718-8040-0689
    phew good thing i understand it now

Member #
    Friends
    I think SSBB & Mario Kart will make it in before they have a chance to charge for them.

I also hope that Monster Hunter 3 is free like the PS2 versions.

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsdude1
    i dont agree with that i think it should be free
    You don't even know what they are gonna make you pay for...
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by samXcor3
    You don't even know what they are gonna make you pay for...

i pay for the game, and then a service? i dont agree with the pay to play either, i already pay for xbox live lol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads