LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

Students told to play Nintendo before school

Primary school children will be told to play Nintendo before classes in the morning as part of a drive to improve their learning ability.

A 20-minute burst of the 'brain training' exercises on Nintendo's DS console at the start of the day apparently improves performance in maths tests by as much as 10 per cent, according to a Scottish study.

The scheme, backed by Scottish education authorities, will be introduced across 16 schools following a pilot in Dundee which found that a daily session of Nintendo's 'More Brain Training with Dr Kawashima' game improved students' concentration and behaviour, as well as their maths results.

If the trial is successful, the £120 console – which David James once blamed for breaking his concentration in front of goal – may be introduced more widely as a learning aid. Learning and Teaching Scotland (LTS), the body responsible for curriculum development, said.

“The initial pilot project that used the Nintendo DS and Dr Kawashima produced fascinating results," Derek Robertson, a development officer for 'games-based learning' at the LTS, said.

“Not only was there a marked and significant improvement in attainment in mental maths but there was also an improvement in concentration levels, behaviour and self regulation in the learning process.”

Over a 10-week period, students in years 5 and 6 at St Columba's Primary played a series of 'brain training games' – including reading tests, problem-solving exercises, and memory puzzles – for 20 minutes in the morning when classes began.

In a maths test at the end of the trial, their performance improved by an average 10 per cent, and the time to complete the test also dropped from 17 minutes to 13 minutes and nine seconds.

Some children halved the time it took to complete the test while either maintaining or improving their score, the study found.

The scheme will now be widened to 16 schools in the Western Isles, Dundee, East Ayrshire and Aberdeenshire, where students will take part in another 10 week trial, observed by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Education and researchers at the University of Dundee.

LTS has bought 480 Nintendo DS consoles at a cost of £34,000, which will be distributed to students in the morning when classes start and collected when the exercises are completed.

The students will not be allowed to take the devices home.

"LTS is committed to exploring and developing new technology to support learning and teaching in the 21st century," Mr Robertson said.

"Game-based learning can provide dynamic and culturally relevant contexts that engage, motivate and challenge today’s young learner.

In 1997, David James, then the Liverpool goalkeeper, said the reason he'd let 3 goals through in a match against Newcastle United was because he had played too much Nintendo beforehand. "I was getting carried away playing Tekkon II and Teamraider for hours on end," he said.
    lol why cant htey do that at my school? linkage

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

2. Ads

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    We have a DS section.
    --

Haha at David James at the end, 'tekkon 2 and teamraider' on a Nintendo caused him to concede 3.

Member #
    Friends
    0426-6072-0331-5294
    now if someone said you do better in school after you play brawl that would be sweet
    Spoiler Alert!

thanks for the sig idjut
    MOH:H2 persona PwnMastr
    you think you can beat me in Brawl then try fc: 4167-4171-6395 name PwnMa
    dane cook once said
    no no no cheese extra bun seeds no bun seeds no no no yes no cheese extra pickles how much, cheese pickle extra pickles cheese bun seeds ice ...
    BK Lounge

Member #
    Friends
    4855-3513-2198-8739
    this puts a smile on my face.

Go nintendo
    Tip of the day:
    A big mistake a lot of you make is that wiiware games will be free.

Wiiware is just the same like the virtual console. Its different in that it offers new games instead of old console games.

I can think of some easy games ( Like tetris and some other in that direction ) that can be free but the majority will cost money.

Member #
    Friends
    Yay! Not going to happen at my school.
    Apparently buying 5 plasma TV's (which no one watches) is cost effective..
    Wii Code: 1239-8220-4889-4526

Guitar Hero 3 Name: Marti
    Guitar Hero 3 Code: 0559-6317-7092

PM if you add me

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    They're still $240!? Holy crap...

Anyway, I'm bored and reading every news thread possible.

I think it'd be cheaper if they played the Wii version, then they could socialize too.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton.S
    Yay! Not going to happen at my school.
    Apparently buying 5 plasma TV's (which no one watches) is cost effective..
    We just got a few of those...they just go through slideshows of pointless things all day every day...waste of money.

Ads