Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

The Perfect Console?

Since the beginning of home gaming, consumers have wanted something bigger and better than whatever was currently on the market. Itís only natural to expect technology to improve over time, and while Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are all more advanced than their predecessors they are far from the ideal gaming machine. Despite what each of the console manufacturers may want you to think, there is no ďperfectĒ gaming machine available for purchase. If only we could take the best aspects of each of the systems and create the ultimate home gaming machineÖ

Thankfully the human mind is capable of imagining hypothetical situations, so lets apply that talent to the dream of creating this mythical box. For the sake of avoiding tech arguments, weíll just assume that the system would have the most advanced processing power available at the time of itís construction. However, from there we have many options so lets begin.

Games: Looking strictly at this generation it seems Xbox 360 is taking the lionís share of quality titles up to this point. With exclusives like the Gears franchise, Halo 3 and Bioshock, as well as solid 3rd party support with most games running as well (or better) than on the PS3. Perfect Console pick - Xbox 360

Hardware: There are several things to consider in this category so letís break it down a bit further.

* Reliability: This category is clearly a no-brainer. Xbox 360ís hardware reliability is atrocious to say the least. Iíve only heard of a couple of cases of bricked Wiiís, but thatís also more than the near perfect hardware record of Playstation 3. Perfect Console pick - PS3
    * Disc Loading: Disc trays are SO 1999 and automatic loading disc slots are clearly the wave of the future. Wii and PS3 meet wits in this aspect, but the winner? Wiiís disc slot lights up when used. Perfect Console pick - Wii
    * Case: Playstation 3 is one shiny, sexy piece of machinery. Perfect Console pick - PS3
    * Power Supply: Out of the 3 current gen system, only one has an internal (read: better) power supply. Perfect Console pick - PS3
    * Wifi: Standard. Perfect Console pick PS3/Wii
    * A/V output: Playstation 3 has HDMI output standard, meaning it looks the best on your HDTV without much effort. Perfect Console pick - PS3
    * Harddrive: Standard, with the option of USB HDD support. Perfect Console pick - PS3
    * Noise: Xbox 360 sounds like a harrier jet landing in your living room. At times, the otherwise quiet Wii sounds like itís sawing your disc in half. I donít think Iíve ever heard my PS3 make a sound, except for the pleasant beep of it turning on. Perfect Console pick - PS3

Controller: The big question here really is motion control or no motion control. Well, until a company can get perfect 1:1 motion recognition for a controller it has no place in the feature list of the perfect console. In terms of ergonomics the one controller that sports no motion control also happens to be the most comfortable by far. Perfect Console pick - Xbox 360 (including PS3ís standard rechargeable internal batteries).

Miscellaneous: Here is where we get to throw in all the extra pieces that make each console unique and really flesh out our perfect gaming machine.

* Blu-ray Drive - The reason for this goes without saying, Blu-ray won, not much else to say here. Bigger storage space, plays HD movies, has a cool name.
    * Achievements- aka: GamerCrack, ensures that youíll play through your favorite game on Super Ultra Hardcore difficulty just for those extra 20 points.
    * In-Game XMB - Xbox 360ís media bar options are so close to perfect that it boggles the mind why Sony hasnít just straight up copied them.
    * Free Online Play - I want Xbox LIVE service, matchmaking, and the PSNís dedicated servers for the cost of the PSN (read: free).
    * Online Store - Ideally Iíd like to have every single game from the Magnavox Odyssey up to the Sega Dreamcast available for spontaneous purchase and download 24 hours a day. However, if this ever happened Iíd probably have to get a second job just to support my addiction.

So there you have it. The ďperfectĒ gaming console, or at least as close to it as this human brain can figure. Is there anything youíd add? Anything you see thatís missing? Feel free to make your feelings known, and lets make this fictional machine even better.
    the only thing i dont like is that how is ps3s big ugly case is sexier than wiis? it makes no sense. linkage

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    One gets the feeling this article was written by a PS3 fanboy. I mean, the Wii is just as reliable as the PS3, the PS3's casing is most definitely not "shiny and sexy", and I've never had any problems with my Wii being loud apart from turning it on.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    One gets the feeling this article was written by a PS3 fanboy. I mean, the Wii is just as reliable as the PS3, the PS3's casing is most definitely not "shiny and sexy", and I've never had any problems with my Wii being loud apart from turning it on.
    yeah i know. nintendo products have always been reliable. although he does a few good points.

Member #
    Friends
    4116-4612-5453-3059
    Wut? The Ps3 looks like a breadbin...

[Zero Motivation, The Guy With Cloud Envy]

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vashivihan
    the only thing i dont like is that how is ps3s big ugly case is sexier than wiis? it makes no sense. linkage
    Trust me, when you have the PS3 and Wii standing beside each other, the PS3 looks likes a piece of modern art. It's also very shiny... so very, very shiny.

EDIT: My Wii is actually louder than my PS3. That's just my own personal experience though.

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo
    Trust me, when you have the PS3 and Wii standing beside each other, the PS3 looks likes a piece of modern art. It's also very shiny... so very, very shiny.

EDIT: My Wii is actually louder than my PS3. That's just my own personal experience though.
    my friend has both and wii looks way better with that blue light.

Member #
    Friends
    6394-7935-9781-6435
    Good points. However the reliability factor can be debated.
    SSBB FC: 1590-4354-8694
    PSWii60

Member #
    Friends
    2482-6460-3144-9934
    Any console will become perfect the moment they make the game "Halo 4: The Waluigi Chronicles".

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-

Spoiler Alert!

52 Members and still growing!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vashivihan
    my friend has both and wii looks way better with that blue light.
    Cool, I personally prefer the different shape of the PS3 over the standard box shape of the Wii - not that the Wii is ugly or anything.

The LED is definitely cool, but I'm kind of immune to them at this point , my computer fans/HD/power supply have all had them for the past 5-6 years, hehe.

Member #
    Friends
    0710-2343-2773-8881
    Lol the article was written by 'Mark Wehner'
    'Playstation 3 is one shiny, sexy piece of machinery'
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ďYou know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Iím just not close enough to get the job done.Ē
    - George Carlin

Ads