Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

Wii Success May Lead to Cheaper Next-Gen

Analyst Billy Pidgeon with IDC tells Next-Gen that in the wake of the Wii's success and the explosion of casual, community gaming, the PlayStation 3 could be the last of the state-of-the-art consoles.
    ImageAt launch, researchers estimated that Sony lost around $240 per 60GB PS3 sold. A pricey Blu-ray drive, state-of-the-art GPU and multicore Cell processor drove costs to new heights. Xbox 360's per-unit loss wasn't much better at launch at around $125 per console, according to estimates.

And then the Wii, with its cheap "GameCube 1.5" technology came along, albeit with motion sensing, showing that Nintendo could sell a console at no loss, attract a massive following and be profitable from the start.

"I think the results of this cycle will have a strong influence on the next cycle, in that cheaper consoles will be expected," Pidgeon says, alluding to the success of the $250 Wii. "Microsoft and Sony will attain successful business on this generation, but catering to the early adopter hardcore gamers with a technology leader strategy will be difficult in 2011.

"...Third party publishers are already looking for ubiquitous platforms to reach the market increase achieved by Nintendo and Guitar Hero," Pidgeon says. "The platforms of the next cycle may not be a console at all, but software distributed by network to convergent devices like PCs, set top boxes and smart phones."

He adds, "I would have dismissed this idea as unachievable last cycle when only Xbox could provide a promising connected console experience, but it is entirely possible that the PS3 is the last bleeding edge console hardware we will see."
    linkage

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    In other words: fun > graphics

Users have been saying this for years. Just took Nintendo to prove it to the MSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Great, i hope prices drop for the next gen....cause if this keeps up i think gaming just might take a back seat for me.

Member #
    Friends
    Well its a possibility. I think that Microsoft and Sony are still going to dedicate alot of time to the graphics though.
    SSBB FC: 1547-4946-7686
    A response to "Wii - DVD Compatible?"
    "I put a PS3 disc in it and the Wii wouldn't read it. WTF is this world coming to? If I buy a video game console, it better take and kind of media I want. Even if I were to dust off some of my vinyl LPs, the bastard better work."

Member #
    Friends
    I have a job, so I hope not.

Member #
    Friends
    8547-4973-7586-6781
    cheap isnt what i want, that means cheap hardware, i want reasonably priced, good components
    Wii - 8547 4973 7586 6781
    Mario Strikers - 386647 725124
    EA Nation - DrVenkman100

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Venkman
    cheap isnt what i want, that means cheap hardware, i want reasonably priced, good components
    everyone wants that, the thing is how far are they gonna go with prices..they raise everytime and people arent goona pay 600 for a system. With the prices of basically EVERYTHING in this world going up i doubt people are gonna have video games as a top priority on there list.

Member #
    Friends
    8244-2285-2713-6668
    Cheaper consoles would be much appreciated : )
    I don't think I will be able to afford PS3 until another price drop : /

Member #
    Friends
    You could just chock it up to Nintendo having no competition though. The PS3 and the 360 are pretty much going for the exact same target market and are very similar products so are in more direct competition with eachother. However the wii is a little different and doesn't directly compete with anything which might attribute to its success. Somebody will probably follow in the wii's footsteps next gen, but to completely abandon the upper priced gaming market would be foolish, and I can't see it being altogether abandoned. What we might even see is, if somebody's big enough, the release of two consoles at the same time by one company to appeal to both demographics.
    I am the Eggman. They are the Eggmen.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotnik
    You could just chock it up to Nintendo having no competition though. The PS3 and the 360 are pretty much going for the exact same target market and are very similar products so are in more direct competition with eachother. However the wii is a little different and doesn't directly compete with anything which might attribute to its success.
    Bingo. I've been saying the exact same thing for a while now.

People keep talking about the XBox360/PS3/Wii war. There is no such war. There's the XBox360/PS3 war, and then there's the Wii market, which the Wii is mopping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads