Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

PS3, Xbox 360, Wii can’t hold a match to old-school game systems

While the rest of the gaming world is engaged in a viciously heated battle over which game console rules supreme, there is a group of silent gamers that goes about its business without a word. Those mysterious few are gamers who don’t buy into the hype of the “next-gen” war — for them, the best consoles are the ones no longer in production.

John Colonna, recent college graduate and long-time gamer, doesn’t have a lot of time to sit around gaming. Just married and employed, he’s spread thin and looking forward to his first paid vacation.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t find a way to squeeze in a few minutes here and there to game, though. What might surprise most people is that his few minutes aren’t spent on World of Warcraft, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Super Smash Brothers, or any of the other outrageously popular games of the moment — Colonna pops in a copy of Donkey Kong Country into his SNES and goes to town.

You’d probably be even more suprised to learn that Colonna is a proud PS3 owner. When asked which system he prefers, Colonna answers, “My Super Nintendo, hands down.”

Here are the games he lists as his favorite for SNES:

1. All the Donkey Kong Country’s
    2. Yoshi’s Island
    3. Super Mario World
    4. Super Mario Kart
    5. Mortal Kombat 3
    6. NBA Jam, Tournament Edition

That might leave a lot of readers wondering, “Why is a grown man spending his time on all those old kids games?” You’re answer is this — all those “old” games are arguably more exciting and challenging than most games on the market today.

That doesn’t just go for the Super Nintendo; think back to the Sonic games for Sega Genesis or many of the other popular games back when cartridges were the “new hotness.” Those games provided real challenges that took repetition and practice…even without save points, there isn’t anything much more exhilarating than beating that one level you’ve been failing for a while now.

Let’s face it: new games are designed to be challenging, but are inevitably easily beaten in comparison to some of the older games. There just isn’t the same satisfaction to beating the newer games as there was to the older games.

I’d be the first in line to buy a Super Nintendo if they were redistributed. Sure, they don’t have fantastic graphics…but graphics aren’t everything, as Wii owners know. If you’re looking for some good addictive fun, why not try John’s method — buy an old console on eBay and try your hand at some genuinely challenging and addictive games.
    StatCounter - Free Web Tracker and Counter
    i have respect for such people. linkage

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

Member #
    Friends
    That was a poorly written article.

I'm not "wondering" why he's still playing the old-school "kids games." Like myself, he grew up in that era so naturally he would have a tendency to prefer the older systems. What is there to wonder about?

Add if he prefers the older systems so much, why does the writer go out of his way to point out that he's a "proud PS3 owner"? If he never plays it, why is he proud of owning one? For that matter, why did he buy one?

Speaking of "guy"...who is this guy he keeps referring to? A recent college grad? Great source material. Take one random guy to support your article and say, "See! I told you old systems are the best! LOLOLOL" I'm a recent college grad myself and I would rather play Metroid Prime 3 over Donkey Kong Country any day. He could have at least taken a poll with a bigger sample than one person.

Older games are harder to beat than new ones? I can beat Super Mario Bros. in under 6 minutes. Most NES games can be beaten easily in under an hour. How is beating Twilight Princess easier than the original Zelda?

Old games also have save files. So...yeah. Wrong again.

I'm 25 and have been playing video games since the age of 4. I grew up with NES, SNES, and Sega. Would I say Wii is the best Nintendo yet? I don't know. It's only been a year and 1/2 since it came out. I do know that Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are some of the best games I have ever played. Super Metroid, Super Mario 3 and Yoshi's Island are also some of the best.

It's fun to debate which system is the best, but you can't just arbitrarily say "older systems are more exciting and challenging."

Really, really stupid article.

UPDATE: I tried posting this in the comments section and it was taken down.
    Last edited by CrowTRobot; 03-27-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    "Kids, let me tell you about another so-called "wicked" guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas, and he didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was... I forget. But the point is... well, I forget that too. Marge, you know who I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?"

Member #
    Friends
    i completely agree with the article i find that old systems such as NES, SNES, N64 are much more exciting..

Member #
    Friends
    Will they ever get chrono trigger on the virtual console cause id buy it the first day.

Member #
    Friends
    1 guys opinion matters this much?
    the SNES had a whole generation, this generation is only 2 or so years in..

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    I dont think the older systems are more exciting. I love my old games but they're not more exciting. Most likely the guy has a huge case of nostalgia and probably doesn't even know wtf "Nostalgia" means. I play my old games some time to time, hell about a week ago I played through Super Punch Out in a few hours with some breaks. I also played all through Donkey Kong Country like two weeks ago in about 2-3 days.

The games are not more challenging, chances are the guy still sucks at the games lol. They are still very fun, but after playing the games again recently I realized how easy the old games are. Also, don't think ive been playing it alot and im just good at them. I haven't played Super Punch Out in like 2 years and Donkey Kong Country I haven't played in years... I just popped out the old console when my 360 broke.

Besides... Why is that really suprising? It doesn't suprise me at all... This is shown at how many people download Virtual Console games on the Wii and Arcade games on the 360/PS3.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    I dont think the older systems are more exciting. I love my old games but they're not more exciting. Most likely the guy has a huge case of nostalgia and probably doesn't even know wtf "Nostalgia" means. I play my old games some time to time, hell about a week ago I played through Super Punch Out in a few hours with some breaks. I also played all through Donkey Kong Country like two weeks ago in about 2-3 days.

The games are not more challenging, chances are the guy still sucks at the games lol. They are still very fun, but after playing the games again recently I realized how easy the old games are. Also, don't think ive been playing it alot and im just good at them. I haven't played Super Punch Out in like 2 years and Donkey Kong Country I haven't played in years... I just popped out the old console when my 360 broke.

Besides... Why is that really suprising? It doesn't suprise me at all... This is shown at how many people download Virtual Console games on the Wii and Arcade games on the 360/PS3.

What is funny is I would love a hand drawn sam showdown or even a 2d mario 3 sequel. Seriously the old systems crush the new systems game play wise, even in game selection. Better level design catering for a type of game play and even more imaginative art hello no polygon counts! I mean really delete every thing pre PS and gaming would be lame except for the PC. I've never been so bored watching others play a game than currently what my friend have shown me. Back in the days these games had to attract gamers off the street. Now we just get some specs and screen shots LOL.

I wonder how many new comers that bought a system this gen are really as hook as most gamers where when we first played a nes or atari? Trading in a game yeah right. Every game I own is worth owning even if I can beat it! Gaming was about playing a game over and over. Some games had great stories simply because you pulled teeth to see every cut scene and the game play added to the story in a very cool way. Some times I wonder why this stuff is even missing from gaming today?

I remember renting every thing before I bought it...LOL yet still buying a large number of games back then. So it feel weird to not care what is coming out some times on some platforms. Are the old school games that hard? Maybe but that was part of the fun wasn't it? How can you be hardcore and not be good at gaming?

Really play super ghouls and ghost, ninja spirts, super r-type and r-type 3. I also have to give square a pat on the back for making buy einhander 3 times until I beat it. Seriously the cool side of gaming lies with the force! Total domination of a game is where it's at. I mean really battle toads on the nes and SNES are great fun games. I could go on but really you have no idea what you missed if you think these games are even close to the oldies.

If I remember correctly high scores and skill was greater than any story. This is the main reason why AI and level design and dogged so badly these days. Yet the current gen has it's gems. The future has always had a lot to live up to.

Member #
    Friends
    Your whole huge post is meaningless. How the hell can you say gameplay was better back then... All you did was run and jump, some games you shoot. Stupid ass shut up
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Your whole huge post is meaningless. How the hell can you say gameplay was better back then... All you did was run and jump, some games you shoot. Stupid ass shut up
    LOL So what do you do now? Wait FPS, jump, look, move forward and shoot...ok check... try that in the old school games I mentioned. You have kid Icarus LOL as your frigging avatar...LOL It may be from brawl but I have to ask have you ever beat it... nope... Come on if you are still playing super punch out and not the old one then you post about DK country. Yeah those games where made easy for you guys. Yeah thats some heavy lifting their kid. Try some star fox one or some thing. Hell street fighter 2 the first one on hard...LOL

Fun times...

O yeah sorry to post a reply to you man I didn't realize you was going to get all angry. If it's too long then don't read it , you will not hurt my feelings. I'm just stuck here rendering stuff and wasting time.
    Last edited by WiitnessID; 03-27-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    WTF are you talking about LOL... You are making little to no sense at all, you are just ranting on.

It's easy to say you just "jump, look, move foward and shoot"

No sorry thats not all you do... I want to see you be able to ride on a vehicle shooting a gun while teammates are passagers and someone is shooting a chaingun off of it while some guy is shooting RPGs at you.

Shut the hell up, Do you see any old games giving you the ability to do things you can do on God of War? Current Zelda games? Seriously shut the hell up.

and no I never played Kid Icarus, I tried the old game and it sucks, it was boring.

Just because you suck at older games doesn't make it more challenging... or else my dad would be able to play Call of Duty 4 with me, but he cant... because in his own words "the old games were easy back then"

You are an idiot, of course youre gonna like the older games, but just because you like it better doesn't mean shit. Thats just like when some old bastard says that the music these days are trash and no there's nothing like 50's music. Shut up you stupid ass and get real.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads