LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbl3
    You're kinda missing the point. Imagine if sony came out with a new TV that had a PS3/Blu-Ray Player built in? It'd be a hit. Now imagine if you could use your cable service to buy games online and download them directly to your TV's harddrive. All of a sudden you've got a TV, a PS3, and access to every game out there without leaving your couch all in one package. It's kinda like that.

The point is rather than having all these different electronic devices it'll all just be built into one universal device for user convenience.
    Thats exactly what I personally do not want. I like having a collection games, it feels like I own them that way. Also most things that are digitally downloaded cannot be transferred because it uses a liceanse in your product to prevent duplication. Someone had this problem with their xbox, they got a new one and they could not play their arcade games on it and had to hassle MS to give him the license to play his game. Apparently it took like a month to do it.

If there is no type of license restriction, then imagine how many people will transfer these files onto computers and put them up to be downloaded via torrents.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    7584-1766-4453-7887
    Having downloadable games just isn't as safe as having your own copy. With your own copy you can touch it, smell it, see it, play it. You have the reassurance that it is yours to own, if we "evolve" and get downloadable games then they arent as safe.

People like having that reassurance and I know I for one like looking/reading the game case on the way home from the store.

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    How is it not as safe? As with the VC/Arcade games you can link them to your own account, if anything happens to your console you can re-download your games that you arelady purchased if you have proof you purchased them. The transferability will change in time when you have console not so eaisly hacked.

Most consumers are going to have an issue with loosing the physical media format, they are so use to seeing the physical library of movies and games they collected, but the outcry will be short and most wont even notice the transition untill its alreayd done.
    I know I will be a little disapointed. Now I can show off my large library of games and many console I have collected over the years. But honestly it would be much eaiser if all of them where in on one "box" and they all could use random controllers to suit each players needs.

The thing is you will do this without even noticing. Look at Mp3 players, people got upset that cd's didnt sell yet they still dont sell and everyone buys mp3's instead. When was the last time you bought a CD? If you have a music player made in the last 5 years you probably havent bought a CD, ha ha even car CD players are setup to play Mp3's now.

Same goes for movies, I use to buy a new VHS/DVD every couple weeks. I have a decent size library of movies but all of them now have been stored onto my DVR, I bust them out simply to lend them to a friend or to take to a bedroom on rare occasions, "that will even be gone soon when i finnish my wireless media network linking my computer,DVR to all the t.v's" Sure thats ahead of the time but its things you can purchase now and the direction its going. Blu-ray and HDDVD are going to just get us by, and they are not going to sell nearly as well as their predicessors. It's a transition format, honestly you can download and even burn HD movies for a fraction of the cost of a Blu-ray disk. I do it all the time, I'm not even gonna bother with Blu-ray untill I pick up a PS3, even then I'm not going to buy a Blu-ray movie unless it's cheep.

You will notice it when good games hit Xbox arcade and Wii-ware. You say now you don't like the idea of download only games, but when that is what is offered that is what you will take and you won't even think twice about it it will just slowly change the way you do things. Most likely things like games/movies/music will still be transferable in the future. Something like a SD card will be used so you can play at your buddies house, but they will still used a link download method, and you will be able to play but not store the information unless they also pay to download it. It's not that physical media itself will be gone. It's just that it wont be used unless its acctually needed. Unlike today where we use physicall media in places it is not required at all, like in our homes.
    Last edited by wezeles; 03-29-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    I don't think they'll die out so much as the original idea of them will. I'm sure they'll be ported into just being a full package computer, entertainment system, plug into your huge TV type thing.

There's not a whole lot left that one can do with consoles to make them exciting so I see that as the next logical step (a fully integrated system).
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Member #
    Friends
    anyone think of hacks, thats 1 reason why console gaming, mostly xbox with xbl is so big. but no consoles wont die, after next gen, i dont really see graphics getting any better but they wont die.

maybe in 10 years we will see the last gen, or consoles as there is no point in improving them but they wont die
    wii game playing: GH3
    wii friend code:1778 9634 2151 5464
    gh3 code:502628796471

Member #
    Friends
    If anything the console will die out and become an "entertainment system." Its already being done slowly in this generation. Therefore it is definitely a reality for the next generation.

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    What that guy is talking about is really simple. He says somehow cable companies like Time Warner, Adelphia will take over the video game industry. It won't happen, and if it did we'd have 10,000 channels of garbage, just like TV.

He talks like those old farts at Xerox. They had equally no vision of the future. Instead of thinking up something inventive like mind control helms, holo decks, retardo the great thinks up... ummm more TV. Dumbass.
    Last edited by sagema; 03-30-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    SSBB 5198-2104-9327 PM me, and we'll add each other. Normal hours 1pm-1am EST.

Member #
    Friends
    7584-1766-4453-7887
    It's not Time Warner (or other cable companies), Microsoft will buy their own "Channel" (like the comedy channel) where you can buy games. Or he means the video channel, the one when you turn your Wii on and the Wii MM pops up. Instead of having a video 1 we would have a Microsoft, or Sony or Nintendo channel.

Member #
    Friends
    3428-8826-2456-3690
    i don't think they will die out but they will put the ps3 and 360 hardware to shame and kick the crap out of the wii

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    I don't think consoles will ever die out, on a count of my GameCube still working by then

Honestly though, I can see consoles eventually not being made/sought after. But there will be another generation of consoles for sure. I don't know really, its hard to say but it seems very unlikely for it to just die out completely. Maybe there won't be 3 companies making consoles, just 1.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Ads