LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Connecting Wii to the Internet

Hi,
    I purchased the Wii for my kids and want to connect to the internet. I would appreciate any guidance. We are starting from square 1-not sure if I need to establish an account online prior.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Member #
    Friends
    4005-0628-2206-3853
    Well, the first thing you need to do is get an airport so you have the internet connection. How close is the Wii to your computer?

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Coachjeff2, you don't need to create any online account for Nintendo's online service. It is free to connect and play online. The friendcode system for adding people to your friend list is cumbersome and awkward, but you are still able to freely connect to others on-the-fly for a quick game, although there is no way to add anyone you meet in game to your friends list.

For connecting, follow the guide in the Wii manual, or go to the following link for a little more thorough guidance: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys..._na/online.jsp

For a list of online capable games, go to the wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nnection_games

Note that online capable games will be labeled on the game cover with either a blue WiFi logo or orange Wifi logo in the top left corner (not all games can be played online, orange colour of logo signify's "Pay and Play" games, this does not mean that you have to pay to play them, it means that you can purchase additional downloadable content). Also take note of the type of online interaction available for the game (some only provide leaderboards, not playing against others). The legend for the type of online interaction is near the bottom of the wiki page.
    Last edited by bradleyd; 01-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Ads