LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    i ordered the cables from nintendo...lets see when they get here. About setting the tv to 16:9...u can't do it....like people were saying before just hitting the "wide" button until u get to full to make the skinny 4:3 picture fill the screen horizontally

Member #
    Friends
    I really want my cables to hurry up and get to me!!! I have an open component spot just for Wii!

So the "Full" setting works for you with Wii set to 16:9 right?

(I also have an open component spot for 360).
    (I also have one out of 2 HDMI ports open, for the PS3? Screw the PS3!!!)

Member #
    Friends
    yah, cuz on the aspect ratio screen at the beginning of Zelda...all of the objects are squares.....instead of with wide zoom where two are the other one is skinnier. any idea when nintendo is shippping the cables?....im not too pleased with the picture on my 42" HD TV

Member #
    Friends
    I have no idea. I bought them already. I saw a date of the 28th on their site.

I have a 52" HDTV -- I think the picture is "meh" as well. I think it's good for 480i, but... 720p looks TONS better on it.

Time will tell the performance of 480p.

Member #
    Friends
    3153-3254-0806-7401
    I have a 65" HD set. It's about 3 1/2 years old. I install Plasma's, surround sytstem, deicated theaters, inwall touchpanels, and do whole home control in multi million dollar homes for a living.

On my set, I have a standard setting for my 480i input. This is giving me a full 16:9 picture, without it looking distorted, short and fat, or wavy on the sides.

The picture is an interlaced image from the wii, so the quality of it has alot to do with the encoding on your TV. If you bought a cheap set, you get a cheap picture. More expensive TV's do a better job on lesser quality pictures. For instance, some Panasonic Plasmas will look better with just a straight from the wall cable jack feed, than one going thru a digital cable box. I am of course comparing SD images only.
    For me, you all can keep your LCD's, DLP's, and Plasma. I am gonna keep my old school 9" CRT Gun, bigger than my dual refigerator, HD Mits. Diamond until they no longer make parts for it. I still haven't seen anything on the market better, in the same price range, without an expensive scaller.
    When the new cables come out, things will be much better for all of us with sets that can take a 480p signal.

Member #
    Friends
    6658-6377-3372-8126
    Just searching around and see I have the same issue / question. I'm thinking wiiguy82 and I have the same TV. I have the component cables hooked up to my Wii. I set the Wii to wide screen and 480p. When I hit my TV's display button it shows the rez and aspect. I get the [480p - 4:3 mode]. The TV will adjust to the incoming signal on the fly so that's what the Wii is sending. I was hoping it would be true 16:9 but from what I'm seeing here I just need to set it to Full (or wide zoom) In switching from the 480i to the 480p it seems to me the 480i is sharper (with text anyway)

Member #
    Friends
    yah its "fake" 16:9.....the Sony TV has to be set to full ....all the Wii does is minimize the width of the picture (narrow effect in 4:3).....im not impressed with the comp. cables. the picture is sharper but more jagged. maybe if Wii had high def the pic would be better

Member #
    Friends
    i think limiting the resolution to 480 lines was a bit of a miss on Nintendo's part. Flat screen HD sets are really taking off and the Wii is lacking here. When you surf the web on the Wii even on a 42" screen it's tough to read small text because the resolution is so poor. I don't understand why they did this as the most basic of PC video cards can output 700 lines plus on component video cables. I'm talking about video cards circa 10 years ago that you could probably pick up for less than $5.

Custom User Title (TM) MaXiMiUS's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2573-4546-5926-8361
    Quote Originally Posted by flemo123
    i think limiting the resolution to 480 lines was a bit of a miss on Nintendo's part. Flat screen HD sets are really taking off and the Wii is lacking here. When you surf the web on the Wii even on a 42" screen it's tough to read small text because the resolution is so poor. I don't understand why they did this as the most basic of PC video cards can output 700 lines plus on component video cables. I'm talking about video cards circa 10 years ago that you could probably pick up for less than $5.
    720p is 1280*720, I seriously doubt you could find a video card capable of that kind of output from 1996. Especially on a budget of five dollars.
    Owned: Excite Truck [8 GRP], Wii Sports [6G, 7R, 8P], Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [9G, 5RP], Elebits [7GR, 5P], Wii Play [5G, 8RP], The Godfather: Blackhand Edition [10G, 9R, 7P], Super Paper Mario [8G, 6R, 5P], SSX Blur [10 GRP].
    Rented: Rayman Raving Rabbids [6G, 7R, 9P].
    Wanted: Resident Evil 4, no Wii games currently.

G = Gameplay Rating, R = Replay Value, P = Party Rating, all out of 10.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMiUS
    720p is 1280*720, I seriously doubt you could find a video card capable of that kind of output from 1996. Especially on a budget of five dollars.
    Well I didn't mean it would cost 5 dollars in 1996, it may have been considered quite good back then, but if you had to buy one with that as the max resolution today you could probably pick it up for $5 on Ebay.

In fact, 1987 saw the release of the 640x480 VGA standard for PC's so we are not talking bleeding edge here and this is pretty much the best the Wii can do for now, while the XSGA (1280 x 1024) standard came around 1994, although no television could display that PC output in those days.

I do suspect that there will be some kind of Wii add-on for increased resolution in the future.

Ads