LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiWiiWii1 View Post
    Well, I don't really know what "cat5" is, but if it's like a regular PC connection, does it mean that I can use a standard cable or that the Wii's port is still different?
    Okay.. Cat5... Category 5 Ethernet Cable, Standard in all forms.

Because I've only seen them keep mentioning their own products and I didn't hear if there are other alternatives.
    The LAN adapter is made by Nintendo for the Wii. There are third party makers that make one. Just buy a $40 wireless router and be done with it.

And something about the component cables - I've looked in the comparison website, and I only saw one result which's calimed to be the official Nintendo cables.

Are they really needed or that I can use other component cables (to use with 480p) for the Wii? Because the "original" ones were about 50% more expensive than other results.
    Componet cables are required to get 480p, which is only slightly better than 480i. By the way, 480 anthing is NOT High Defenition. The wii will not allow you to choose the 480p option in the menu without that cable. You can
    buy the Nintendo one or buy a 3rd party cable, ther are pleanty out there. I use the Psyclone one because I got it at half the price of the nintendo one.

Also make sure whatever you are hoking this to has component hookups.. They will be Red, Green, and Blue RCA inputs.

Hub
    Last edited by HubMonkey; 02-12-2009 at 02:46 PM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah, I know that it's not HD, but because the version I got is the NTSC one, it currently uses the interlaced output (and after I'll add the cables for progressive output, will there be a quality diffrence between the NTSC and the PAL?). And I meant about a case if it won't detect it correctly or that the cables might be in a lower quality than Nintendo's?

And about the internet, I'd prefer a wired internet, and anyway as currently I got a wired router, all of the computers lack a wireless connectivity.

But I meant to do Wii's own connection. I don't see where its internet port is so I can't tell.

But if I'll put it near a wired ethernet port, what kind of connector the Wii itself needs? Will a regular PC one connect to the Wii?

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah, I know that it's not HD, but because the version I got is the NTSC one, it currently uses the interlaced output (and after I'll add the cables for progressive output, will there be a quality diffrence between the NTSC and the PAL?). And I meant about a case if it won't detect it correctly or that the cables might be in a lower quality than Nintendo's?
    No you do not have to use Nintendo's cable. Can't speak for PAL questions.

And about the internet, I'd prefer a wired internet, and anyway as currently I got a wired router, all of the computers lack a wireless connectivity.
    Then buy the LAN adapter. It is USB and plugs into the port on the back.

But I meant to do Wii's own connection. I don't see where its internet port is so I can't tell.
    See above

But if I'll put it near a wired ethernet port, what kind of connector the Wii itself needs? Will a regular PC one connect to the Wii?
    Regular PC what? Cable to your router? If so Yes.

Member #
    Friends
    I don't know about "to the router", but as I said, I have the router at one computer and all of the other connections are obviously throw the ethernet.

And I can see those USB connections, but why there are to of them?

And does the computer cables also use a USB connection so I might be able to fit in another cable, or that only Nintendo uses that?

Member #
    Friends
    Ok, here's a product I've found which's not of Nintendo.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=133

Is this basically what's needed? Should it work?
    (and by the way, what the hell is "10/100mbit"? What is this 10? Because 10 mega-bits sounds pretty crappy [my internet is slower than 10mb, but in general for USB connections)

Member #
    Friends
    4470-1422-8188-7606
    Ok, here's a product I've found which's not of Nintendo.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=133

Is this basically what's needed? Should it work?
    (and by the way, what the hell is "10/100mbit"? What is this 10? Because 10 mega-bits sounds pretty crappy [my internet is slower than 10mb, but in general for USB connections)
    There's no way to tell if that will work with the Wii without testing it. It seems like you're trying to save money wherever possible but it's often easier and will cause the least amount of problems if you go with the official products. Most of these answers you're looking for can be found on Google, by the way (like what is 10/100mbit, etc).
    Official Video Recorder and Editor for the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. Brawl on WiiChat? Join the League now!

SSBB FC: 2105-8307-2555
    MKWii FC: 1547-5875-3678

Member #
    Friends
    It simply shows other results citing "10/100mbits", it doesn't explain what it is.

And I say that if it simply "adapts" the connection into a USB port it's probably supposed to be the same.

And you say "just go with the official", but everything here is way too expensive.

I've checked in Nintendo's site, and I think that their adapter is 25$.
    But here it'd cost me about 65$.

Member #
    Friends
    4470-1422-8188-7606
    It simply shows other results citing "10/100mbits", it doesn't explain what it is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ethernet

And I say that if it simply "adapts" the connection into a USB port it's probably supposed to be the same.
    This site lists all USB ethernet adapters that are compatible with the Wii:
    http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_ethernet_adapter

And you say "just go with the official", but everything here is way too expensive.

I've checked in Nintendo's site, and I think that their adapter is 25$.
    But here it'd cost me about 65$.
    Well... can't help you there. I found those links using Google, btw.
    Official Video Recorder and Editor for the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. Brawl on WiiChat? Join the League now!

SSBB FC: 2105-8307-2555
    MKWii FC: 1547-5875-3678

Member #
    Friends
    NTSC isn't by all accounts inferior to PAL.

PAL = 576 visual lines, 25 frames per second, interlaced (576i)
    NTSC = 480 visual lines, 29.97 frames per second, interlaced (480i)

This was based on the 50Hz of European AC power grids and 60Hz refresh in North American AC power, determining their FPS at 25 and 29.97 respectively.

Arguments can be made to the superiority of one over the other, but we've moved beyond that anyways.

HDTV = several formats:
    720 visual lines, 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, or 30 fps, progressive or interlaced
    1080 visual lines, 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, or 30 fps, progressive or interlaced

My suggestion, get a PAL Wii, or make sure your TV supports multiple stabdards to convert NTSC to PAL.

Member #
    Friends
    i was also going to comment on the 60/50hz refresh rates. that may be what causes the 'overy-inerlaced'
    Wii Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Heatseeker, Excite Truck, Wii Play, NHL 2k9, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Strikers Charged, Shaun White Snowboarding, The Bigs, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Ghost Squad, Call of Duty: World at War, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-out!

VC: Wave Race 64

Homebrew Channel

Ads