LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 220
  1. #191
    WiiChat Member Kage848's Avatar
    Member #
    56143
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    70
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
    Point is.

    Nintendo are RAPING the other companies profit-wise. We all know this.

    It probably costs them $20 to make each Wii these days, and there still hasn't been a price drop.

    Yet they don't choose to spend this money on improving online content or speeding up development and hiring/buying new 2nd party talent.

    For them to keep playing it safe with their games to 'appeal to the casual gamers' means I've lost interest.

    They could pull off 720p with the Wii I'm sure. They could also do a pretty good job at online, but they keep playing the 'casual gamers' card. Which is such an excuse to be lazy.

    Point is Nintendo no longer rules E3. Not having Miyamoto there kind of proves this IMO, if he isnt running out on stage keen to playtest a teaser of Mario Galaxy 2, they arent putting enough effort into their games.



    And agreed with Sovieto, L4D... is a brand new franchise, and its actually successful, I dont see a problem with it. Its online is awesome, awesome, awesome.

    Nintendo's attempts at new franchises are pretty poor TBH.
    "oh hai guyz, herez pikmanz!...you walk around and complete level-based puzzles by throwing flowers at shit!"
    Fair enough, i disagree. Have fun with your 360 or PS3, what ever one you have.

  2. #192
    WiiChat Member bruceleroy's Avatar
    Member #
    9328
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    242
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
    Point is.

    Nintendo are RAPING the other companies profit-wise. We all know this.

    It probably costs them $20 to make each Wii these days, and there still hasn't been a price drop.

    Yet they don't choose to spend this money on improving online content or speeding up development and hiring/buying new 2nd party talent.

    For them to keep playing it safe with their games to 'appeal to the casual gamers' means I've lost interest.

    They could pull off 720p with the Wii I'm sure. They could also do a pretty good job at online, but they keep playing the 'casual gamers' card. Which is such an excuse to be lazy.

    Point is Nintendo no longer rules E3. Not having Miyamoto there kind of proves this IMO, if he isnt running out on stage keen to playtest a teaser of Mario Galaxy 2, they arent putting enough effort into their games.



    And agreed with Sovieto, L4D... is a brand new franchise, and its actually successful, I dont see a problem with it. Its online is awesome, awesome, awesome.

    Nintendo's attempts at new franchises are pretty poor TBH.
    "oh hai guyz, herez pikmanz!...you walk around and complete level-based puzzles by throwing flowers at shit!"
    Who's the #1 selling video game company in terms of hardware this gen?

    Nintendo (Wii, DS, Wii Fit, Wii Play)

    Who's the #1 selling video game company in terms of software this gen?

    Nintendo (Mario Kart 15M, Wii Sports 45M, Brawl 8M, Mario Galaxy 8M)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ng_video_games

    What's the formula that Nintendo sticks by?

    Makes games that can be played by everyone. Nintendo developed/published the best selling fighting game, party game, platformer, racing, role-playing, sports, puzzle, and simulation. That's 8 out of the 13 gaming genres.

    Why change the formula when it's the best formula?

    So you could please the Nintendo haters.

    Who knows what they're doing? You or Nintendo?

    I think I'll go w/ Nintendo on this one.

    What does all this mean?

    You can lose faith or hate on Nintendo all you want but Nintendo knows what they're doing. You may think that they don't rule E3 anymore but they still and will rule the industry as long as they keep doing what they're doing which is making fun games for everyone.
    Last edited by bruceleroy; 06-04-2009 at 10:48 PM.

  3. #193
    Tip#67: Sell Your Wii Deanis's Avatar
    Member #
    2976
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,701
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Yeah the formula is VERY successful as theyre tapping into an audience of non-gamers, which is bigger, much bigger than hardcore gamers. I have much respect for what they did, but now they need to appeal to the actual gamers, the ones that own Wiis which are collecting dust in a cupboard.

    I consider myself more of a hardcore gamer than a non-gamer though, so their forumla doesn't suit my gaming needs. Hence I sold my Wii and bought a PS3 (and upgraded my PC).

    I had FUN with my Wii, but it didnt offer the experience I wanted.

    BTW, extreme sales doesnt equal good gameplay. Take all the shovelware titles on Wii, little kids LOVE that stuff and parents don't know ANYthing about games so they buy them....gamers hate it, yet it still sells.

    See my point is, everyone is going to see Nintendo's E3 in a different light. For me personally, it was a failure.

    BTW, WiiSports hardly counts. Its a pack of minigames shipped with the console. Its like saying Solitaire on Windows is the highest selling game of eternity as every single PC has it.


    "If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."


  4. #194
    WiiChat Member bruceleroy's Avatar
    Member #
    9328
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    242
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
    Yeah the formula is VERY successful as theyre tapping into an audience of non-gamers, which is bigger, much bigger than hardcore gamers. I have much respect for what they did, but now they need to appeal to the actual gamers, the ones that own Wiis which are collecting dust in a cupboard.

    I consider myself more of a hardcore gamer than a non-gamer though, so their forumla doesn't suit my gaming needs. Hence I sold my Wii and bought a PS3 (and upgraded my PC).

    I had FUN with my Wii, but it didnt offer the experience I wanted.

    BTW, extreme sales doesnt equal good gameplay. Take all the shovelware titles on Wii, little kids LOVE that stuff and parents don't know ANYthing about games so they buy them....gamers hate it, yet it still sells.

    See my point is, everyone is going to see Nintendo's E3 in a different light. For me personally, it was a failure.

    BTW, WiiSports hardly counts. Its a pack of minigames shipped with the console. Its like saying Solitaire on Windows is the highest selling game of eternity as every single PC has it.
    WiiSports was only packed in in some regions around the world. For example, Japanese people had to purchase it because it wasn't packed in in Japan. Wii Sports Resort will also top the sales charts regardless of what Sony/MS do with their motion control prototypes because consumers care about what's out right now, not in a few years.

    Games like Mario Kart, Mario, Brawl, Wii Sports, etc. are Nintendo's top sellers. Are those shovelware to you? The fact that shovelware also sells on the Wii proves that if you develop a game for the Wii then chances are that it will sell. It may not sell a lot immediately but it will sell eventually. That's why all types of games are being developed for the Wii. From shovelware games for kids to party games for everyone such as Wii Sports Resort, Boom Blox, Mario Kart, etc. to Nintendo classics for Nintendo fanboys such as Punch Out, Brawl, Zelda, Metroid, etc. to hardcore titles such as Red Steel, Grinder, Conduit, NMH2, Madworld, Call of Duty, etc. It's a system for everyone who likes different types of games.
    Last edited by bruceleroy; 06-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.

  5. #195
    Banned Sovieto's Avatar
    Member #
    883
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,585
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post
    WiiSports was only packed in in some regions around the world. For example, Japanese people had to purchase it because it wasn't packed in in Japan. Wii Sports Resort will also top the sales charts regardless of what Sony/MS do with their motion control prototypes because consumers care about what's out right now, not in a few years.

    Games like Mario Kart, Mario, Brawl, Wii Sports, etc. are Nintendo's top sellers. Are those shovelware to you? The fact that shovelware also sells on the Wii proves that if you develop a game for the Wii then chances are that it will sell. It may not sell a lot immediately but it will sell eventually. And games like MadWorld that are 'hardcore' games build exclusively for the Wii don't sell. That's why shovelware games are being developed for the Wii. From shovelware games for kids to party games for everyone such as Wii Sports Resort, Boom Blox, Mario Kart, etc. to Nintendo classics for Nintendo fanboys such as Punch Out, Brawl, Zelda, Metroid, etc. to hardcore titles such as Red Steel, Grinder, Conduit, NMH2, Madworld, Call of Duty, etc. It's a system for everyone who likes different types of games.
    Fixed..

    Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

  6. #196
    WiiChat Member bruceleroy's Avatar
    Member #
    9328
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    242
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto View Post
    Fixed..
    Madworld didn't sell a lot SO FAR but IT SOLD ENOUGH according to SEGA. Some people just don't like the black and white graphics and the length is too short so it's actually doing pretty well under the circumstances.

    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3356

    Hardcore games can make some pretty good sales on the Wii. Red Steel, Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, Brawl, Metroid Prime, Star Wars: FU, HOTD: 2&3, COD:WAW, etc. Even No More Heroes sold well enough for them to create a second version. The Conduit is going to sell well also guaranteed.

  7. #197
    Nintendo Connoisseur anax4aero's Avatar
    Member #
    45158
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    470
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
    Nintendo's attempts at new franchises are pretty poor TBH.
    "oh hai guyz, herez pikmanz!...you walk around and complete level-based puzzles by throwing flowers at shit!"
    Are you trying to say Pikmin was bad? great game, completely unique.

    Left 4 Dead is relatively new, but since it did good, now they bank on left 4 dead 2. And from personal experience, I believe it is good to leave a few years in between before releasing sequels. Look at what happened to the original Megaman series, went down the drain as fast as it became popular.

    And to me it really doesn't matter that Nintendo is kicking a** and taking names, because in the end they're still becoming passive in comparison to what they were. Back in the day the NES ruled because most of its games were completely innovative, and different from the working formula of space shooters. That's what makes Nintendo what they are, the fact they are supposed to have brilliant geniuses who come up with new stuff that doesn't rely on focus groups or fads to be good.
    And now, here's an E3 where they banked completely on stuff they've always had, they're going for safety instead of having balls and doing something new.
    Sure, there are good games out and on the horizon, but as a person who knows games and has played them almost all his life, I want the novelty back, I want games that will make me go "holly f***, this is fun." In the past two years, only Brawl and World of Goo have managed this for me, and Brawl only because I was fond of melee and because it is such a museum of video game nostalgia. The rest of the games feel so repetitive, and that's because companies think all hardcore want FPS, and suddenly all good games have to be bloody FPS.

    Personally, I'm waiting for this generation's Miyamoto to remind people in this business what they're supposed to do.

    Currently Playing: Brawl, Wi-Fi Brawl and Rhythm Heaven.

  8. #198
    slightly amused captainff's Avatar
    Member #
    17836
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    807
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    Quote Originally Posted by anax4aero View Post
    Back in the day the NES ruled because most of its games were completely innovative,
    Can I pick up on that one line?

    The problem with creating new video games is, as I see it, that after 20+ years of home based systems there are very few new ideas to explore. Sure devs can make another FPS or another driving game that is more accurate or better looking than it's predecessors but it will still be a driving game or a FPS.

    Bringing a whole new style or genre of game to the market becomes harder each year purely because of what has come before. The NES had much less history to compete with than the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 do.

    ....................


  9. #199
    .... FloYdian's Avatar
    Member #
    36999
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    762
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    im pleased with E3. not jizzing.. but pleased.
    Wii Games: Mario Glaxay 1&2, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart wii, wii sports, wii play, Wii Party, Force Unleashed 1, Godzilla Unleashed, indiana jones:SoK Wii, Metriod:Trilogy, TMNT:Smash-Up, CoD:Reflex&black ops,NSMBwii, Link's zapper training,goldeneye,tomb raider anniversary,metroid otherM.

  10. #200
    Banned Sovieto's Avatar
    Member #
    883
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,585
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post
    Madworld didn't sell a lot SO FAR but IT SOLD ENOUGH according to SEGA. Some people just don't like the black and white graphics and the length is too short so it's actually doing pretty well under the circumstances.

    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3356

    Hardcore games can make some pretty good sales on the Wii. Red Steel, Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, Brawl, Metroid Prime, Star Wars: FU, HOTD: 2&3, COD:WAW, etc. Even No More Heroes sold well enough for them to create a second version. The Conduit is going to sell well also guaranteed.
    Red Steel sold a bunch because it was the first major FPS for Wii.
    RE4 is a port.
    UC, you're counting that? It's an on-rails shooter. Sold well, but its a spin off and sold because it had Resident Evil on it.
    Brawl, yes, but this is Nintendo's IP.
    Metroid Prime, even though it's Nintendo's, it still sold relatively poorly.
    Star Wars.. huh? Still, it didn't sell that amazing, but it's a bad game, not original and a movie IP.
    HOTD: 2&3, didn't sell that well, again, on-rail shooters and ports?
    CoD:WaW sold relatively poorly.
    No More Heroes sold 'well enough', a fair example.
    Mad World sold poorly, regardless of what Sega wants to tell themselves. Fact is, other developers aren't going to look at MadWorld and say: "Oh boy, we should try to make a hardcore ground up game for the Wii too!"

    Were looking for Wii's Gears of War, Left for Dead or Assassin's Creed. New IPs that sell amazing to very well. These are the games that set examples for other developers to embrace.

    IMO, it all means not much until The Conduit comes out, then we will see the true fate of the Wii.
    Last edited by Sovieto; 06-06-2009 at 08:52 AM.

    Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts