LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wiimote latency - my final question answered

I've spent the last year avidly tracking down and scrutinizing as much Wii footage as I could get my hands on - especially any videos which showcased both TV and user at the same time. Having determined in advance some aspects of the nature of the wireless control scheme, and being aware of the limits of some of those aspects, I was keeping my eyes open for one particular phenomenon.

The phenomenon I had reason to anticipate seemed to be verified by several of the aforementioned videos showing people playing various games. But I had to be sure. So I picked up my Wii yesterday and have spent ample time utilizing it.

Understand that in my capacity as a video and audio hobbyist, timings, and particularly sync-related issues, are something I'm used to being meticulously aware of. Here is what seems to be happening, along with my suspicions as to why.

The Wiimote's traditional controls - the "plus" pad, the analog stick, the buttons - all seem to be utilizing the same, effectively latency-free wireless technology utilized by the Gamecube Wavebird controller. There is no detectable lag.

The functions related to determining the positioning and angles of the Wiimote and nunchuk are most likely accomplished exclusively by the infrared sensor bar. This would explain the considerable latency, which I generously estimate to be 150 milliseconds, or comparable to a speedy dial-up modem connection or an intolerably lagged broadband connection.

These phenomena are observable, and identical, in both Wii Sports and the Wii's built-in default system menus. Considering the well-established latency issues related to infrared technology, there is little wonder that such phenomena are observed.

The wonder, instead, is that such a patently poor communication technology was chosen for use in a control scheme on a videogame system - a platform on which latency is of paramount concern.

I am tempted to produce slow-motion videos, slowed down, to illustrate precisely how much latency is being exhibited, between flicks of the Wiimote and on-screen result. To such a video, I would add the result from a wireless mouse I've owned for years, which manages to be latency-free as well as sensor bar-free and yet works like a charm at three-dimensional hand motions. Others may feel free to develop their own video, proving the point, or, brave soul ye, attempting to disprove.

Now, the good news is that since proper wireless motion technology has existed for many years, the option is very much open for Nintendo to offer, say, a "high accuracy, low-latency, sensor bar-free" alternative to the Wiimote. There is no reason why such a product could not be fully compatible with preexisting games.

Member #
    Friends
    0424-3343-2675-9124
    so that means... there shouldn't be a problem with any other type of game while using the wiimote?

Member #
    Friends
    8250-6904-3974-1341
    The communication technology is actually Bluetooth. The sensor bar just allows the wiimote to work out where it is in relation to the tv.

I'll admit that I'm not an expert on such things but other wireless 3d motion detectors require slightly more expensive triangulation point devices right?
    Nintendo Wii. "A shiny plastic monolith of gaming goodness." - Ichiro Lambe, Dejobaan Games, LLC
    PM me if you add me so I can add you too...

Member #
    Friends
    150 milliseconds, do you have evidence to support that statement?

from my "studies" ive concluded that there is a 2 second lag between this and this, dont ask how i got it, but this article i wrote this error free long article and you should listen to me!
    Last edited by Sovieto; 11-26-2006 at 04:29 AM.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    8426-6514-9175-8079
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto
    150 milliseconds, do you have evidence to support that statement?

from my "studies" ive concluded that there is a 2 second lag between this and this, dont ask how i got it, but this article i wrote that error free long article and you should listen to me!
    You may be onto something there

See I made it my own! RELIGION *whoosh* wow a 50 page thread bout how there beliefs are right and you are all wrong wow. Oh do want to be different rep! even if I don't help it seems to happen a lot here

Member #
    Friends
    one thing, your compairing to a wireless mouse??
    it dosn't move in 3D, only up, down, left, right...
    also is uses laser tracking system (it would seem) and not gyroscopic and acceleromiters like the Wiimote.
    I'm no expert tho, i might be wrong.

kingjames

Member #
    Friends
    Accelerometers shouldnt have an effect on speed, play a gameboy colour game with accelerometers and you'll see theres no lag. Which means if theres any lag it must be in the transmission of data from the remote to the Wii right?

Member #
    Friends
    Just to put that in perspective, the average humans reaction time (ie shoot an enemy) is about 300ms. To think and react (ie work out if it's an enemy or ally then shoot) takes, on average 350ms.

ABC
    Member #
    Friends
    1929-2278-1848-3419
    The Sensor bar does NOT transitmit any data from the Wiimote to the Wii itself. For example, this kid tok his sensor bar completely off, turned off all the lights, and used two candles in place of the sensor bar... and it works better.

GameTrailers.com - User Movie: WII candle sensor by samydabukiex

Honestly, Nintendo is pawning off some terribly old technology and just using it in a new way to control games... but hell, it works and it's fun.

WiiChat Member motherbrainrulez's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8024-1926-5495-8435
    my brain just died

Thanks to Pepper for the sig
    I am leader of the Super Metroid fanclub

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads