LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    More than likely your monitor will not display 480i, which is why you are going to find VGA boxes with component connections, especially ones that say they are primarily for vidgaming on your monitor. I'd recommend getting the component cables.
    Last edited by vagrant; 11-30-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends

Yes, the Wii does change back and forth

Hey folks, my component cables arrived today. Here's a description of my setup:

Display: Dell 2005FPW (20inch LCD, VGA/DVI/SVideo/Composite)
    Transcoder: Mayflash YPbPr to RGBHV VGA Box

First things first, the Wii will default to 480i output over the component cables when you first plug them in. This means that if your display does not handle 480i over component inputs, which is a problem with my combination of transcoder and monitor, you'll need to do the shuffle with the plugs in the back of the Wii. Here's the trick that I did:

Hook up the Wii using composite cables. Go to the Wii settings menu where you can select 480p, you'll notice it's grayed out. Now, find a friend, significant other, or whipping boy, and have them change the cables to the component while you keep your remote pointed at the 480p box. When it's plugged in, click to change, then move the Wii remote wildly in hopes of finding the confirm button. The tactile feedback helps here, but you certainly need a steady arm for this.

Voila, you should have your Wii in 480p mode.

From what I've read, most Wii games support 480p mode, although I think I remember seeing something that say [URL="http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746378p2.html"]Rayman Raving Rabbids did not[ support 480p/URL]. So almost anything that is Wii, you should get 480p no problem. Likewise, Gamecube 480p games will output in 480p. It will switch to 480i for a second, then switch back to 480p. Give it a moment and you should be fine. I tested that with Windwalker, Metroid Prime, and Need for Speed Underground.

Now the bad stuff, games which were not progressive scan compatible will not be 480p. This means no 480p Super Smash Bros. Thus, if you want to play Super Smash Bros, you'll need to change the cables and reboot your Wii. Annoying.

However, do not despair, there is still hope. According to some fairly reliable information the composite output is NOT disabled when running in 480i. This means it is possible to create a hybrid cable, as documented at this site.

Anyway, now I've got a nice project for this weekend. I just need to crack open my official component cable, chop up a composite cable wire it in and put in a switch. I'll post pictures and a writeup when I'm done.

Member #
    Friends
    Ah, thank you very very much pridkett!

Now that you have your goodies I have another question or two if you don't mind? If you have any Virtual Console games do they force 480p or do they as well switch over to 480i?

Any experience with the good ol line doublers such as This one. Wondering how much the quality would drop using something like that box instead of the nice transcoder. That way I could also run the cable box through there too. I guess it all rests on the Virtual Console being forced 480p or not. Or both boxes but then that's $100 and at that point I'm on the way to just selling this monitor and getting a nicer one with component in. Wonder if those monitors' tuners do progressive out of the box.

Lets see what else...

How's the 480p look on your monitor?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Taheen
    Now that you have your goodies I have another question or two if you don't mind? If you have any Virtual Console games do they force 480p or do they as well switch over to 480i?
    I only have one virtual console game, Bomberman 93. I just tested it this morning and it does output in 480p. I've noticed that it doesn't take up quite as much of the screen as it used to, but it looks quite nice. Yes, for anyone else, the TurboGrafx 16 originally output an interlaced signal.
    Any experience with the good ol line doublers such as This one. Wondering how much the quality would drop using something like that box instead of the nice transcoder.
    I've played with line doublers in the past, but I've never been really happy with them. It's also unclear if that line doubler actually handles 480p resolution. While it takes component input, it may only take 480i component input. At that price, that seems more likely. Most of the cheap $50 line doublers and deinterlacing have problems with consistent deinterlacing, gamma correction, or something more. If you're going for a line doubler, get something decent. I've seen good results using an XRGB3, but you need to look at the cost here. You're getting into the $200-$300 dollar range for the device, at which point it might be better to look into a newer TV or computer monitor. Many LCD TVs support both component and VGA in. It's not that expensive (~$800) for a 720p compatible LCD with DVI/HDMI input. Most of these display computers at 768p. If you want to spend a bit more, Westinghouse makes some decent 37 inch panels that are 1080p but lack a tuner.
    That way I could also run the cable box through there too. I guess it all rests on the Virtual Console being forced 480p or not. Or both boxes but then that's $100 and at that point I'm on the way to just selling this monitor and getting a nicer one with component in. Wonder if those monitors' tuners do progressive out of the box.
    I have a Comcast DCT6200 that is hooked using my component to VGA transcoder also (well, actually I have an input switch before the transcoder). It's outputting in 1080i. However, in order to get the to work properly, I needed to find the manual online and figure out how to change the video output mode without using the OSD. Which is pretty straight forward -- on the DCT6200 press the menu button when the unit is "off" (which never is really off, it takes the same power, 32W either way).
    How's the 480p look on your monitor?
    Good enough that my wife noticed the difference in Wii Sports and Zelda. On the down side, when you're really close, you can see the pixels, so some stuff looks blocky. Normally the fuzziness inherent in NTSC takes care of that.

Member #
    Friends
    Think I'm sold on the transcoder route.

Unless I can con a roommate into buying my monitor so I can do a minor upgrade to something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001078

Member #
    Friends
    As promised, I've gone through and hacked up my component cable to make it also support composite output. Now, I no longer need to switch cables because my TV can't handle 480i over composite. If you're interested in doing the same, I suggest you visit my instructable: Nintendo Wii combo Component/Composite Cable. If you've got feedback, let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.

Overall, this wasn't that difficult. The hardest part was the paperclip.

Member #
    Friends
    Spiffy, I'm been looking at the Mad Katz Wii cables and noticed something:

http://www.gameshark.com/home/278/Ma...nt-Cables-.htm

I see: Left Audio, Right Audio, Y, Pb, Pr, and an extra little yellow connector that I'm assuming is a composite built right in.

Add me and i'll add you! intekmdma's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0938-8888-9063-3805
    you guys got me wondering now, I i can connect this to my 21'' CRT monitor just to try things out ><

turbo'd wabbit

Member #
    Friends

Rayman and 480p 480i support

It seems this lack of a feature bit me today.

What happens to you guys when you try to run Rayman with the component cables (I got Japanese imports of these) plugged in? I end up getting a blank screen, but I don't know if it's because the game refuses to run due to the component cables plugged in, or if it is able to at least send 480i out the component cable.

I can't tell because my projector (an Infocus X1) doesn't support 480i into the component inputs. I could get an adapter to do this (for the S-video port, don't ask), but I'm wondering if it's worth it...

Any information would be appreciated!

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    FYI. You can change from 480p to 480i in the wii's settings.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Ads