LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

480p only? Or does the Wii change back and forth?

Sorry, I'm not really sure on all the specs related to the Wii and the 480p.

What I'm curious about is I'm limited to my 1440x900 19" widescreen flat panel for all my pc/tv goodness. Currently I use a Tv Wonder VE card to run GC and PS2 via composite, there is no noticable lag but the quality leaves much to be desired. I'm almost certain the res is is the 320x240 area.

What I'm curious about is getting a transcoder box like the http://www.vdigi.com/ but the real transcoder boxes (not just line doublers) only convert progressive signals to vga through component and no 480i.

So my long-winded question here is once the Wii is told to output in 480p will it always output in 480p. The boot screen ALL Wii games, the channels list, etc etc.... if I never played a 480i GC game on in would the Wii and all Wii games be 480p?

If not the I guess I need to start looking for a bit better tv capture card, any suggestions on a nice 640x480 software encoder tuner card?

Member #
    Friends
    Taheen,

Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one researching this issue. I've got a component->VGA transcoder box based of one of the newer national semiconductor chips that does 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but no 480i over component. My transcoder worked fine with my Comcast cable box in 480p, 720p, and 1080i modes, but it had issues when running 480i from my 10 year old Sony DVD player.

Hopefully we'll have an answer in a week or so once component cables are available at retail. I'll post my success to this thread then. If it doesn't work, it may be a nice time to upgrade my display to something better.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks, I appreciate the response. Glad to know I'm not alone wondering about using a transcoder with the Wii.

I'm still on the fence, even if the Wii works perfect with only putting out 480p once set I can live without playing non progressive GC games but I think it'd be a bummer not being able to play Virtual Console games due to the transcoder restriction.

Guess we will have to wait and see, and like you said.. worst case it'll be time to upgrade the display. I've liked this widescreen 19" but the 21" model I believe has component inputs, wonder how good/bad that would look. May have to research into that one.

Member #
    Friends
    2168-2309-3726-8049
    I believe (read it somewhere on here) that once you plug in the component cable, it will output all 480p. There is a jumper on the cable that enables the 480p mode. I wouldn't take my word for it though, as I just read it here and theres a good chance that whoever I read it from was pulling facts out of their ass.

Member #
    Friends
    Oh and btw Pridkett, I need to find the page again but I know I saw a newish national semiconductor chip that does 480p, 720p, 1080i, and it does do 480i as well. Havn't seen any commercial transcoders built off it yet though. Even then, I have heard bits about comp monitors not being able to display a raw 480i picture properly even if converted into a vga signal. Any input?

I'd really hate to sink to having to run the Wii through a capture card.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ilcid
    I believe (read it somewhere on here) that once you plug in the component cable, it will output all 480p. There is a jumper on the cable that enables the 480p mode. I wouldn't take my word for it though, as I just read it here and theres a good chance that whoever I read it from was pulling facts out of their ass.
    Awesome, there is hope! Thanks!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Taheen
    Oh and btw Pridkett, I need to find the page again but I know I saw a newish national semiconductor chip that does 480p, 720p, 1080i, and it does do 480i as well. Havn't seen any commercial transcoders built off it yet though. Even then, I have heard bits about comp monitors not being able to display a raw 480i picture properly even if converted into a vga signal. Any input?

I'd really hate to sink to having to run the Wii through a capture card.
    The chip that you're thinking of is the LMH1251. I ordered the newest design from MayFlash which is rumored to have this chip in it. However, because it's a transcoder, it does not upconvert the 480i to 480p. Thus, it will not work on my monitor, a Dell 2005FPW, in 480i mode.

I ordered the component cables yesterday, we'll see how they work.

Member #
    Friends
    How do you find out if a computer monitor can display a 480i signal?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Taheen
    How do you find out if a computer monitor can display a 480i signal?
    Really there isn't a straightforward method to do it. In general, an LCD monitor will not be able to do this resolution over the VGA inputs. Although, numerous monitors, including the Dell 200[57]-FPW series have composite inputs that allow them to display NTSC video. The next highest line for Dell, the 2407-FPW, has native component inputs.

Anyway, the easiest way is to just hook it up and test it. I can say that I've never heard of an LCD working in 480i over a VGA connection. I was surprised that my monitor did 1080i over VGA, even though the native resolution of the panel is 1680x1050.

Member #
    Friends
    Spiffy, when you get all your goods in would you mind taking a picture of the screen? I'm curious just how good the Wii will look put through that transcoder to a widescreen flat panel through vga.

A suppose a line doubler would let me do 480i but I'm sure the quality from a processed 480i signal vs a converted 480p is a noticable step down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads