LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wii & plasma

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Okay, sorry, I can't really help considering I really am not a TV genious.

But - can we see a pic of that room when you get the Wii? It sounds awesome and I would like to have my own Wii room. Sounds sexy..

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2313-3033-5629-6710
    Quote Originally Posted by Homesrfan
    Okay, sorry, I can't really help considering I really am not a TV genious.

But - can we see a pic of that room when you get the Wii? It sounds awesome and I would like to have my own Wii room. Sounds sexy..
    Ditto. I gotta see this gaming room.
    - UfoTofU
    GasSavers.org

Wii Code - 2313-3033-5629-6710
    Msg me if you add me so I can add you too.

Member #
    Friends
    3153-3254-0806-7401
    Plasma is fine, and the burn in effect is less an issue as the first 3 or 4 generations.
    LCD has some issues with smearing while gaming. At least if you buy a cheap one and mostly during FPS type games.
    DLP is fine as well, great blacks, and high contrast ratio's.

Now the issue I would wonder about would be the IR remote control having an issue being read over the Plasma, or LCD for that matter. I have an old school CRT so I don't have that issue.
    When I set up home systems, and people cheap out and buy IR repeaters, we have had issues with LCD and Plasma's. We have to use Plasma Friendly IR recievers because of the high light output from both units. From what everyone on this forum has said, you should not have an issue with that.
    Also, if it's a monitor and not a Plasma, you should definately buy the component cables. it will give you a much better picture as well.
    Just remember if you plan on hanging it on the wall, you have to supply a wire for the IR BAR so that you can mount it on the plasma.

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    The sensor bar does fine on LCD (my wii was on one for a while), but I havn't tried it on a plasma. This is a good point. The biggest sensor bar problem I've had is... (drumroll), lights. I've discovered if you point the Wiimote into my room, where there are two lamps, it picks them up as if they were the sensor bar.
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    3153-3254-0806-7401
    Yeah, I am not sure exactly how the remote IR works, I think the IR just bounces off them and reads it that way, but I do not know for sure so don't quote me on that.
    LCD interference is not as bad as Plamsa. Plasma is just an IR hog.
    Florecent lighting is the worst. It just kills IR signal. Ambient lighting from sunlight can also be a problematic issue but I have not had any problems with my Wii yet.

Also, for you who want Plasma for your gaming monitor. If you do happen to get a burned image because you paused your game and it left an image, all you need to do is put on a full white screen for 20 minutes or so, and it will wash it away. Usually you don't do any permanant damage unless you leave it like that for more than 48 hours.

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by fuseman13
    Yeah, I am not sure exactly how the remote IR works, I think the IR just bounces off them and reads it that way, but I do not know for sure so don't quote me on that.
    LCD interference is not as bad as Plamsa. Plasma is just an IR hog.
    Florecent lighting is the worst. It just kills IR signal. Ambient lighting from sunlight can also be a problematic issue but I have not had any problems with my Wii yet.

Also, for you who want Plasma for your gaming monitor. If you do happen to get a burned image because you paused your game and it left an image, all you need to do is put on a full white screen for 20 minutes or so, and it will wash it away. Usually you don't do any permanant damage unless you leave it like that for more than 48 hours.
    As best as I can figure, there is an IR-sensitive camera (or some similar means of detection) on the end of the Wiimote. The sensor bar sends out a constant IR signal, which the wiimote picks up and locates. The problem isn't losing the signal, it's picking up on other things (IE, if you have two candles burning side by side, the Wiimote will pick them up as if they were the sensor bar).
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    2913-6550-9284-2410
    i have a crappy old tv that i've been using for the cube. it's a big sized screen but it has no av plugs. i use my old adaptor from the 64 on my cube so i can use the aireal instead of av. i'm getting a new tv soon but will i be able to use the aireal cable on the wii instead of the av's?
    Strikers FC: 043052 232782

world crown chimpokomastr pizzaluvr's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    if you have a plasma mounted on the wall, you can use double sided tape or peel off the sticky things on the bottom of the sensor bar

and newer plasmas have a VERY small chance of burn in, i flel asleep on 360 dashboard for about 6 hours, and nothing happened, and my brother left it on for about 12 hours and nothing happened, it's probably a combination ofthe plasmas reliability and anti burn in feature
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    2168-2309-3726-8049
    Quote Originally Posted by registerednerd
    As best as I can figure, there is an IR-sensitive camera (or some similar means of detection) on the end of the Wiimote. The sensor bar sends out a constant IR signal, which the wiimote picks up and locates. The problem isn't losing the signal, it's picking up on other things (IE, if you have two candles burning side by side, the Wiimote will pick them up as if they were the sensor bar).
    Correct.

I forget the source, but the Wiimote picks up the IR signals and sends the data to the Wii, which uses triangulation to find out where it's pointing. The sensor bar is just there to emit the signal, and doesn't actually communicate with the console in any way, shape or form. So other light sources or IR sources can disrupt the signal.

Member #
    Friends
    3153-3254-0806-7401
    Yeah, I thought I read somewhere the wire connecting it was only to power the emmitters that are in the IR Bar. Seems like a resonable explaination of how it works. No one should have to worry about ambient lighitng from outside or from their flatpanels in general, only from small amounts of light like registeredrnerd had experienced.

Ads