LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Well I have called all companies through their 1-800 numbers. A Microsoft Represenative stated they use HD-DVD discs. Although, I may be wrong. But however, Wii is compatible with DVD-Roms, but cannot play DVD movies, because of the way it was programmed. So even if the XBOX did [or does] they programmed it differently. I'm assuming they sold a seperate drive to accommodate everyone with a DVD player upgrade without making a built-in HD-DVD console upgrade (Market Strategy).

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by BluRayPSP View Post
    Well I have called all companies through their 1-800 numbers. A Microsoft Represenative stated they use HD-DVD discs
    They gave you wrong information, it's just a plain DVD drive. Or perhaps they meant that they use a DVD drive and that the console can do HD resolution and just explained it poorly.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Whatever the case is, they should make a Blu-Ray USB Drive. That way they can take advantage of Blu-Ray Media such as BD Games & BD Movies.

BD = [B]lu-Ray [D]isc

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Dprinny, XBOX 360 games use HD-DVD Discs which hold 15GBs SL/30GBs DL. If they're not then why would they compete with Sony's BD 25GBs SL/50GBs DL? And if XBOX 360 did only use standard DVDs then what keeps Nintendo from adding Open World Games? PS2 & XBOX did.
    its a normal DVD drive.
    HD-DVDs where only usable via that HD-DVD drive
    Whatever the case is, they should make a Blu-Ray USB Drive. That way they can take advantage of Blu-Ray Media such as BD Games & BD Movies.

BD = [B]lu-Ray [D]isc
    Theres some legal thing with Sony about Blu-Ray that stops Microsoft from making a BluRay drive im sure theres something about it on the wiki

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by stickmode View Post
    Well, check this link:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/o...t-wont-happen/

And tell me what you think about it!!
    Maybe you misundertood it. That is about there not being a 'Wii HD', not about there not being a new console to follow the Wii. He is right about the next console not just being a Wii with better graphics though, it has already been said by some Japanese developers that they think the next console will have something new that will 'blow people's minds'.

Well I have called all companies through their 1-800 numbers. A Microsoft Represenative stated they use HD-DVD discs. Although, I may be wrong. But however, Wii is compatible with DVD-Roms, but cannot play DVD movies, because of the way it was programmed. So even if the XBOX did [or does] they programmed it differently. I'm assuming they sold a seperate drive to accommodate everyone with a DVD player upgrade without making a built-in HD-DVD console upgrade (Market Strategy).
    The 360 uses normal DVDs, either 4.5GB or 9GB for dual layer, exactly the same as the Wii. The Wii does not have DVD movie playback because Nintendo didn't want to pay for the license, so it wasn't so much a technical reason as a financial one.
    Wii games - SMG, Zelda TP, Mario Kart, SSBB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Blue World, Wii Fit, Super Monkeyball, Rogue Trooper, Shaun White, NMH, NMH2, GH: WT, Aerosmith, Zack&Wiki, Okami, RE4, Force Unleashed, Clone Wars, Scarface, PES, Tenchu, Trauma Centre NB, Madworld, Rune Factory, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, COD Reflex, Obscure, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, NSMB, Bully, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Dprinny, I don't see anything like that on Wikipedia, plus I think that would be a legal issue.

Raisinghelen, Wii can easily be turned into a DVD play with a bit of reprogramming (Ask those that have pirated their systems to make it play DVDs. Some of them didn't even need anything extra like a MOD Chip). Original XBOX could play DVDs, but with the way Microsoft programmed the system, it required a Playback kit which was a Controller Socket IR and Remote.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    Theres some legal thing with Sony about Blu-Ray that stops Microsoft from making a BluRay drive im sure theres something about it on the wiki

Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray. They're part of the group of companies that helped develop it, but it's not technically a Sony product. There's no legal reason that would prevent Microsoft from releasing a Blu-Ray add-on. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the next XBox use a BD drive. And the next Nintendo console too for that matter.

Member #
    Friends
    Raisinghelen, Wii can easily be turned into a DVD play with a bit of reprogramming (Ask those that have pirated their systems to make it play DVDs. Some of them didn't even need anything extra like a MOD Chip).
    Do you read what people write?

Member #
    Friends
    1923-6615-4080-7852
    Get on topic you boobs.

Ads