LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii Swapped - Data GONE! What To Do...

Hi guys,

My guess is this'll be an easy one for you gurus...

We have a Wii. Had it for a few years, and it started shutting itself right in the middle of usage. Became a pain. My sister-in-law also has a Wii. She never uses the damn thing. So I thought... I'll simply swap the consoles! She takes mine (which works fine, just shuts off sometimes), and I'll bring back hers. Did so...

I took the SD card out of our Wii before we swapped the consoles. Upon hooking up the replacement console, I put the SD card in it.

Turned on Super Mario Bros. to play with the kids, and low and behold, all our saved games, etc is gone. Same for the Mii's on Wii Fit,and all the data from Kart. Basically, it's as if we've started over. I've come to find out this is to be expected. So it's my understanding that I now have to take the SD card back to the original console (mine, now hers), and backup the old data, then bring it back to the replacement console.

My question is... How? Is there a document explaining what I have to do? Can someone here provide step-by-step instructions? I really don't want to lose years worth of game data for multiple games...

Help! Thanks!

CB

Member #
    Friends
    http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-Save-Files-to-Another-Wii, there are some games who's files you cannot copy.

I know how much it sucks to lose save data on a wii the same thing happened to me.
    Online name: xplode[E7]
    GE freindcode: 3545-8357-8321

LVL: 34

Member #
    Friends
    Any chance of a list of games that DON'T allow copying?

My main concern is Mario Kart, but Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, (the Mii's), and Super Mario Bros also...

And also... On the "target" Wii. Anything that's on there, honestly, can get wiped. There a way to just "reset" the Wii and wipe it fresh, clean, and new? I figure I'll do that before data migration...

CB

Member #
    Friends
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070723100821AAlCa8k
    N
    ext time just google it.

I dont know why you would want to wipe the wii clean but if you really want to :
    If you go to the third page of wii settings the last button will say "Wii system format" or something like that.

CAUTION! Read the text that pops up before you format the wii!
    Last edited by xplosive; 08-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Online name: xplode[E7]
    GE freindcode: 3545-8357-8321

LVL: 34

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by CBinMA View Post
    Any chance of a list of games that DON'T allow copying?

My main concern is Mario Kart, but Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, (the Mii's), and Super Mario Bros also...
    Nintendo has a very adamant stance towards cheating, so to prevent that, they don't allow anyone to copy the save data of games with online multiplayer so that said cheaters can't modify their saved games very easily. As such, you unfortunately won't be able to copy Mario Kart Wii's save data to your SD card, sorry to say. =( This safeguard against cheaters can sadly hurt the every day gamer too... I was also disappointed when I discovered I couldn't transfer my Super Smash Bros. Brawl data around with an SD card.

If Wii-Fit has any online capabilities, you might not be able to copy it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CBinMA View Post
    And also... On the "target" Wii. Anything that's on there, honestly, can get wiped. There a way to just "reset" the Wii and wipe it fresh, clean, and new? I figure I'll do that before data migration...

CB
    As Xplosive mentioned, in the Wii's settings (on the main menu, click the wrench in the lower-left hand corner), you'll find an option similar to "Wii System Formatting". That will delete everything on the console, not just save data. If this Wii has any Virtual Console games or special Channels, formatting your Wii will cause you to lose these permanently. It's my understanding you'll also have to adjusts all the options, internet connection details, etc. as if the Wii just came out of the factory as well. So yeah, be very careful with formatting the Wii

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Hi SSB,

So because Nintendo wants to stop "cheating" (gimme a break, it's a VIDEO GAME), I cannot port over my SMK data to a replacement system after the original one started acting up? That S.U.C.K.S. Nintendo's gonna hear about that.

CB

Ads