LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1616-2753-9551-8415
    I suffer from Dyspraxia which is a sequencing issue. I KNOW that when things start getting full, I'll be confusing myself moving things left, right and centre, and that one day, I shall zip about trying to free up space to grab a new vc game, or save progress from a new wii game purchase, and delete the wrong thing. If this is a vc game - I'll be able to download it again, but deleting something like a Zelda save game will hurt.

This is a flawed system, and seems at odds with Nintendos efforts to make gaming easy and accessible to all. If my grandparents are supposed to want to pick up a wiimote and play golf or tennis, why make them jump through hoops with SD cards? I have enough faith in Nintendo to ultimately make it so we can save games to SD cards, but at this moment in time, if I'd known what I do now, I would have politely declined the offer of an additional SD card at point of purchase, and I suspect there are others here who would have done the same.

and I believe I already explained why you cannot, and will not be able to save VC information in any way other than natively.
    As did I....

There's probably some authentication issues with VC games to prevent people breaking the encryption and injecting their own code into a VC emu/game package on an SD card, so I'm not holding my breath on that one....

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    As far as VC games go, it's not a matter of "injecting code." you could just straight up move vc games, upload them, download them. Eliminating the whole purpose of putting them up in the shop. And ultimately costing Nintendo some dime.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    1616-2753-9551-8415
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    As far as VC games go, it's not a matter of "injecting code." you could just straight up move vc games, upload them, download them. Eliminating the whole purpose of putting them up in the shop. And ultimately costing Nintendo some dime.
    Not quite - according to the good folk at wiimodwii, every VC has a unique encryption based on the Wii that downloads it. This is authenticated when it passes into the Wii memory. Much of the homebrew efforts are concentrating on cracking the encryption used, hence they are collecting a lot of duplicates of VC games from different Wiis to compare.

Nintendo wouldn't like people running VC games from SD memory as it skips the authentication steps that take place when the game is pushed into memory.

As it stands, it is perfectly possible to copy a VC game to an SD card, move the content.bin to a PC hard drive, delete BOTH copies of the game on the Wii and SD card, and then copy it back to the Wii from the PC via the SD, and it'll run fine. It's all in the encryption...

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    It uses authentication based on the machine it was downloaded with.

My point was that if they allowed VC games to be used amongsts machines, then they could also be ripped easily.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

eko
    Member #
    Friends
    Im with this is gil on this one, even microsoft got this one right they make sure that every one of there arcade games is under 50mb so that they can be stored on there memory card. Each console has a different code and the game is locked to that console code (or in microsofts case it locks it to your live account) if you arnt logged onto that console then the game doesnt work. Under that princaple you should be able to save your data anywhere you want.

Member #
    Friends
    I'm with gil as well. The SD card as is is only good for backup (other than the photo channel). It is a nuisance to have to move files back and forth to access them.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by eko
    Im with this is gil on this one, even microsoft got this one right they make sure that every one of there arcade games is under 50mb so that they can be stored on there memory card. Each console has a different code and the game is locked to that console code (or in microsofts case it locks it to your live account) if you arnt logged onto that console then the game doesnt work. Under that princaple you should be able to save your data anywhere you want.

1) Every vc game will be under 50 mb.

2) xbox arcade stuff is ripped like crazy

3) Nintendo doesn't want to get there vc stuff ripped like crazy.

The SD card as is is only good for backup
    That's kind of the point in SD cards in general.

The wii has USB ports for a reason. Just not one available to us yet.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Blech.

More arguments than answers here. -locks and edits so the thread will be useful-
    That turtle has a brief case. It must be going to work. I hope it has a good day.

Ads