Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3085-1225-3534-6165

Reading DDV movies

Hi,

I just read in the Nitendo Magazine (SPain) that in 2007 Nintendo will release a software so that the Wii can play DVD movies . No extra hardware neede, just some software.... Anybody knows more of it??
    Signed.Johny
    Wii (was the first and only client and the first who bought it on launchday,9/12/2006, waited 10 minutes) 2 Extra Wiiremotes Plus + 2 Nunchakus + CLassic Game Controller + 1GB SD + WiiFit + GH + Band Rock (drum + Guitar) + 2 micros + Dj Hero + 2 Toy Story Zap Guns + Lasergun + Wifi Keyboard + Family Trainer + WiiBike
    Games: Too many to sum here

Member #
    Friends
    2933-4904-9336-1800
    No, it is not possible by a software update.

Member #
    Friends
    3085-1225-3534-6165
    It seems that it might get out for the USA, not the rest of the world. This is the news, translated from Spanish:

a couple of days ago Nintendo told that the new version of the Wii will reproduce DVD and might get to the USA market thx to an agreement with the company Sonic Solutions, the company who has has been working on the development.

So, maybe it will be.... one day....
    Signed.Johny
    Wii (was the first and only client and the first who bought it on launchday,9/12/2006, waited 10 minutes) 2 Extra Wiiremotes Plus + 2 Nunchakus + CLassic Game Controller + 1GB SD + WiiFit + GH + Band Rock (drum + Guitar) + 2 micros + Dj Hero + 2 Toy Story Zap Guns + Lasergun + Wifi Keyboard + Family Trainer + WiiBike

Add me and i'll add you! intekmdma's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0938-8888-9063-3805
    duno, last thing i've heard about this was something about the CD spinning backwards... bah bah bah

turbo'd wabbit

Member #
    Friends
    a couple of days ago Nintendo told that the new version of the Wii will reproduce DVD and might get to the USA market thx to an agreement with the company Sonic Solutions, the company who has has been working on the development.
    Sonic Solutions? I've have tons of problems with their software/dll files.

Their software constantly conflicts with my burning software and causes my computer to crash when loading up CDs/DVDs on 3 of 6 DVD drives that are at my house. I forgot the name of the .DLL in question (look it up online, a number of them from SS are prone screwing up your PC) that forced me to make 20+ coasters out of my DVD+Rs.

Sounds like a bad matchup with Nintendo's trustworthiness.

Quote Originally Posted by intekmdma
    last thing i've heard about this was something about the CD spinning backwards...
    Yea, the Wii (GC as well) spins the disc in a constant angular velocity, like a record player, as well as the disc slowing down as the laser head gets closer to the center of the disc.

Nintendo would have had built the Wii's drive to already also spin and operate like a DVD drive in order for a simple software update to make it play DVDs. Most likely Nintendo didn't go this route because it would have driven up production cost and time.

More likely than not in the future, Nintendo will produce (or license?) a Wii that can play DVDs for the people that want one. Just like the Panasonic Gamecube of yesteryear.

Member #
    Friends
    3085-1225-3534-6165
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxCapacitor
    Sonic Solutions? I've have tons of problems with their software/dll files.

Their software constantly conflicts with my burning software and causes my computer to crash when loading up CDs/DVDs on 3 of 6 DVD drives that are at my house. I forgot the name of the .DLL in question (look it up online, a number of them from SS are prone screwing up your PC) that forced me to make 20+ coasters out of my DVD+Rs.
    As the Wii isn´t there to burn DVD´s, maybe they will get it right this time.

Anyway. If it would play DVD it would be nice.... Still I wouldn´t use my 250€ Wii as a simple DVD player (which even can run DIVX movies) just costs 33€
    Last edited by rtr1900; 12-20-2006 at 04:10 AM.
    Signed.Johny

Member #
    Friends
    8624-5249-6352-8609
    Who needs their Wii to playback DVD's anyway, I mean if the majority of you have a Wii I'm guessing you like your technology and probably have multiple systems in your home that can play DVD (Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, Standard DVD player, PC etc). Who needs and extra one... really!!!
    My greatest pleasure in life is having a Wii

Banned ToadIsDoingMagicMushrooms's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8263-8201-5467-9061
    What the hell is DDV?

Ads