LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

How to Play Madden 07

As you can tell from my signature I am Australian. My brother just bought Madden 07. I have absolutely no idea about how to play American Football. My brother has no idea either, the only reason he bought it is because he is a sports nut and there are no other sports games out (apart from Wii Sports).

I know how to do all the moves but I don't know when to use them and what the point of them is. (e.g What is a juke and when do I use it?, When would I use a deep pass play instead of a normal pass play?) I know the bare basics; Quarterback gets the ball and throws it to a catcher/receiver. If they donít get past the orange line it is a down. After 5 downs it is a handover. That is just about all I know.

I canít afford another $90-$100 game at the moment so I want to make the most out of this one. Can someone explain it in depth or post a link to a website that I, someone who knows very little about Grid Iron, can understand.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2836-6898-4933-5432
    After 4 downs its a turnover, not 5.

Just read the wikipedia page for the rules http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football#Rules

If you want add me as a Wii Friend please PM me.

Member #
    Friends
    OK Thanks.

I think I'll invite a friend over who has had Madden 07 on his X-Box 360 for a few months. Hopefully he'll teach me.

Member #
    Friends
    ok man here it is
    offense has 4 chances to get 10 yards. if they get 10 yards or more, the set of 4 starts over. these are called downs. most teams punt the ball on 4th down if they have bad field position and can not attempt a field goal. jukes are sideways shifty movements, the stiffarm is an extended arm to push away tacklers. the differences in pass plays are based on the length of routes ran by the recievers. you can also select your plays by formation, this would be a good way to do it, it's a good way to enhance your football knowledge. if you can understand the playbook, everything else will fall into place execution wise. if you have any more questions ask me.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks doug52.

Teams start off needing to get 10 yards but this number increases and decreases. Is there any formula to this?

Also, what penalties are there and how do they work?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiily Good
    Thanks doug52.

Teams start off needing to get 10 yards but this number increases and decreases. Is there any formula to this?

Also, what penalties are there and how do they work?

Well basically you have 4 down to get ten yards. So if you gain 2 yards on first down, it will be second and 8. If you lose 3 yards on that play, it will be 3rd and 11. If you get passed the first down line, you get a fresh set of down.
    and so on.

The most common penalty in Madden are offsides and pass inteference.

Offsides is if a defensive player cross the line of scrimmage(where the ball is) before the offence hikes the ball.

Pass interference is when a defensive player hits a receiver when the ball is in the air but not yet catched by the receiver.

You can also get a late hit penalty if you hit the quaterback after he got rid of the ball. (After his pass).

That covers the basic, i'm french canadian so it's not that easy to explain americain rules football over the net but trust me, the NFL is the greatest thing on earth...well...after maybe sex of course...

Hope that helps a bit. GO BILLS!!! In 2007 we will win in Foxboro...!!!

Member #
    Friends
    yes. although i dont recommend it, you obviously can recieve solid football information from someone who is french canadian ;p.

Member #
    Friends
    Make sure you read the booklet, and all the tutorials available. Especially about audibles, hot routes, line shifts, etc.

Actually, probably the most common penalty you'll get in Madden if you're new to the game is delay of game, which basically means you took too long to pick a play. Make sure to pick a play with at least 10 seconds left on the play clock.

Once you get used to standard game play (without audibles), you'll start realising that sometimes the defense just knows what play you're going to make. Say you're planning a run to the right and the defense brings the safeties up on a blitz while sending the linebackers out to the right. Here's where you want to audible. You'll have a few options, but in a blitz situation you'll probably want a quick pass. So you make the adjustment, snap the ball, the defense blitzes, you get the ball out in time, no safeties to bring you down, big gain Well, in an ideal situation.

You can also make defensive audibles as well.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks everyone.

How do I call an audible?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiily Good
    Thanks everyone.

How do I call an audible?

You need to point at the quaterback (both offense and defense audible and press A (I think) the the audible menu will be visible. When you point, move the wiimote very slowly, it's easier that way.

Ads