Ok hockey fans. I'm not sure if this is the best forum to get a message out to EA. (I was actually thinkinking of writing to them) They definetly must have NHL 08 coming to the Wii with the gameplay controls down pat or many won't be happy.
There are many forums out there that look for suggestions on the next NHL game, but everyone gives the same crap about better AI, music, voices, animation, etc. etc. Let's talk about the controls for the Wii to set it apart from the other consoles. Here are my suggetions or concerns for the game.
- SHOOTING - Wouldn't it be awesome to do a slap shot with the nunchuk and wii remote?
But here's the dilema; how does this translate onto screen for left handed and right handed players? (I shoot right, does that mean Crosby will shoot right handed on the screen too?
- PASSING - Any suggestions for passing controls? Forehand? Backhand? or How about a drop pass between the legs?
- BODY CHECKS!!! This will be fun. Here's my suggestions;
- CROSS CHECK - nunchuck and wii remote extended like you are actually crosschecking someone high in the face (get 25 game suspension ), or low on the lumbar area.
- SHOULDER CHECK - Chris Pronger is skating backwards with Ovechkin coming down hard on the LEFT. Extend both the nunchuk and wii remote hard to the LEFT and Pronger flattens Ovechkin with a game ending shoulder check.
- HIP CHECK - Same thing as above with Pronger and Ovie coming down on the LEFT. Pronger decides to upend Ovechkin instead with a hip check by extending both the nunchuk and wii remote to the RIGHT instead to simulate a hip check.
- FIGHTING - This will be a favorite. I'm right handed so I'll extended my nunchuk out in front while holding down the "Z" button to grab Todd Bertuzzi's jersey while I pound his face with the wii remote in my right hand. Vice versa for the controls if you're left handed.
Wanna slow down the fight? How about both the nunchuk and wii remote extended out while holding menacing George Laraque's jersey with the "Z" and "B" button so that you can just jostle with him.
With the wii controls, the gameplay suggestions are boundless. Keep sending your suggestions and hopefully EA will read these before the release of the game.