Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7837-2468-5504-9172
    As of 6:17 PM i own the Bigs

Member #
    Friends
    You guys must be having too much fun to post your reviews! Guess its not that bad after all? May have to go to Bestbuy tommorrow then, instead of waiting an extra night. Thanks for your input x2.

Member #
    Friends
    7837-2468-5504-9172
    Hey does anyone know how to jump up the wall to catch the ball. My opponents always do that and i can't figure out how.

Member #
    Friends
    My impression after 3 hours of playing:

The Good:
    It's baseball, and I'm a baseball fan.
    The graphics are decent. The players look pretty good, the parks are true to life, but lots of jagged edges are noticeable.
    Great sound.
    Accurate players and lineups for the most part.
    The rookie mode is pretty entertaining to play through
    Normal mode is still pretty hard, so with two more difficulty levels to go, should be plenty of playing time.

The bad:
    The controls are pretty awkward at first, and even after 3 hours don't quite seem accurate all the time, especially on throws.
    There's a control lag, so the type of fielding plays the game thrives on are difficult to pull off because reaction time isn't very good. Batting suffers too because you have to guess the pitch earlier than you should to compensate.
    Throwing different types of pitches can be difficult even on easy mode because they require precise wrist movement, some of which could damage your arm (mainly the elbow)
    Lots of jaggies, even for a Wii game.

Overall:
    Sadly, the control lag takes alot from the game. From what I've read the problem is not exclusive to the Wii, and was identified months ago during beta testing but never fixed. The game overall seems like it was rushed. Home run derby is pathetic and might as well have been left out. I would really have liked so see some season options. They claim it was left out due to the nature of the game, but previous games with this type of edge had season modes and it worked out just fine.

That being said, once you play for a bit the control lag fades to the back of your mind and just becomes part of the game play. The overall awkwardness of the control fades, and game gets to be more fun. However, when you have a split second to react for a diving play, the lag becomes a glaring poblem and pops back into your head for a moment.

The rookie mode is a blast from the few hours I've played on it so far. That's the bread and butter of the game.

If you're a baseball fan looking for an option on the Wii, this is your only one for the season. I give it about a 7/10. It could have been a great game if they would have put the necessary time in it. Obvious problems were left in the game and outside of rookie mode there's no depth whatsoever. The only reason it's not a 6 or even a 5 is because we don't have another option on this system.

I would seriously recommend renting first, but don't form your opinion about it until you've played for at least 2 hours. It takes that long for the controls to stop feeling forced.
    Last edited by zeropants; 06-27-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by gamefreak4
    Hey does anyone know how to jump up the wall to catch the ball. My opponents always do that and i can't figure out how.
    supposedly you press a and flick the wiimote up, but i haven't been able to do that either, im getting better at sliding catches though, so maybe it will come in time.
    Join the Buy BWii Campaign and Buy BWii!
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks zeropants for the review. $50+ is alot of money to spend on what seems like the worst of my worries for this game. Is rookie mode anything like season mode at all? I could live with less than perfect as long as an immersive season was possible, but this just seems like more of an arcade one time deal with create-a-player.

Member #
    Friends
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiBad
    Thanks zeropants for the review. $50+ is alot of money to spend on what seems like the worst of my worries for this game. Is rookie mode anything like season mode at all? I could live with less than perfect as long as an immersive season was possible, but this just seems like more of an arcade one time deal with create-a-player.
    Like a Season Mode:
    Play pretty much the same amount of games as a full season
    Pitchers get tired
    Playoffs and World Series

Not Like a Season Mode:
    Limited Roster Control (no minor leagues), although you can steal up to 10 players from other rosters to complete your team.
    Minigames that you must complete before playing some games
    You play games that you want to play, ie: i can go to Pittsburgh, then to San Francisco, then back to Pittsburgh. there's no set schedule.

its still a lot of fun, but if you have doubts, you should probably rent and see how fast you can get through it. this game at least deserves a rental from baseball fans.
    Last edited by FWELR; 06-27-2007 at 04:47 PM.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    2192-4083-8192-7034
    I almost bought it today. Im so bored with the games I have that it took everything in me to turn it down. I have a online renting service, but im not sure how long it will take me to get it from them. I guess I need to suck it up and wait. Because once I get it, I can keep it as long as I want.

Member #
    Friends
    6893-8478-5967-8729
    does the batting have more of a lag than wii sports baseball?

Member #
    Friends
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by wiifreak9292
    does the batting have more of a lag than wii sports baseball?
    no, its a little bit better. there is a little bit on the 100+ MPH Fastballs but that's to be expected.
    Spoiler Alert!

Ads