LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Having fun with the game. Had my nephew over did a few home run derbies, played two 2-player 5 inning games. And played 1 rookie challenge game after he left…the Wii smoked me baaad.

Anyways, the game at times gets really finicky about responding to the button push to start the pitching action. I’ve tried swapping the controllers, changing batteries and moving the receiver around.

I’ll press the pause or menu button and the system responds right away so I’m pretty sure it’s the game…or I’m missing something in the mechanics of how to pitch properly. Anyone else experiencing this or have any tips?

edit:typo
    Last edited by Addy; 06-26-2007 at 10:13 PM.

the guy below- HES BACK!! Wiitime's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1405-1695-6567-5492
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy
    Having fun with the game. Had my nephew over did a few home run derbies, played two 2-player 5 inning games. And played 1 rookie challenge game after he left…the Wii smoked me baaad.

Anyways, the game at times gets really finicky about responding to the button push to start the pitching action. I’ve tried swapping the controllers, changing batteries and moving the receiver around.

I’ll press the pause or menu button and the system responds right away so I’m pretty sure it’s the game…or I’m missing something in the mechanics of how to pitch properly. Anyone else experiencing this or have any tips?

edit:typo
    Do you mean that when you press A for a fastball and it doesnt always respond and you have to do it a few times? then yes, it happends to me too, i think its because the controls need to be almose held like your pitching.

Does this help? Let me know and i can try to explain it better.

i have a question for you, when you play the computer, have you been able to get the computer to swing at a ball? i would throw it right outside the strike zone and they dont ever swing, from what i have seen... I wish players argued when you hit the batters or if the ump threw you out of the game, but nothing!
    Mario Strikers Charged Code 034466 539783

If you add me, let me know and i will add u..
    BRAWL CODE-2921 8742 9329

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Sounds cool but unlike my PS2 purchases (got bored of the system) I plan on only buying the greater games, 8/10+

Baseball is my favorite sport and always will be but I'd rather just wait for a better Wii baseball game which shouldn't take that long.

a;lfjljljf2;lasf

Member #
    Friends
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenNevets
    Baseball is my favorite sport and always will be but I'd rather just wait for a better Wii baseball game which shouldn't take that long.
    MLB 2K8........

it will be awesome......
    Join the Buy BWii Campaign and Buy BWii!
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    5915-3034-4885-8290
    I'm extremely excited to hear that pitching is one of the funnest parts of the game. That was the most disappointing part of Wii Sports Baseball (IMO). Gotta go rent it soon.
    Owned Games:
    Wii Sports
    Madden '07
    Call of Duty 3
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    so the fielding isnt too difficult? i was interested for sure, but good descriptions, and i was watching gameplay vids earlier. also i was curious if the batting was fairly straightforward or do you have to be precise? thanks.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiitime
    Do you mean that when you press A for a fastball and it doesnt always respond and you have to do it a few times? then yes, it happends to me too, i think its because the controls need to be almose held like your pitching.

Does this help? Let me know and i can try to explain it better.
    Yeah..that’s what I’m talking about but sometimes it seems really particular. My nephew and I both struggled at times for several seconds trying to find where and how to hold the Wii-mote to start the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiitime
    i have a question for you, when you play the computer, have you been able to get the computer to swing at a ball? i would throw it right outside the strike zone and they dont ever swing, from what i have seen... I wish players argued when you hit the batters or if the ump threw you out of the game, but nothing!
    Not yet but if you can release the pitch in the “sweet spot” (gray area of the bar) and use the nunchuk thumbstick to locate a ball outside the strikezone. The location of your pitch isn’t revealed so maybe they will swing at those sometimes…really hard to do, the better pitchers have bigger sweet spots though.

the guy below- HES BACK!! Wiitime's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1405-1695-6567-5492
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalboy7
    so the fielding isnt too difficult? i was interested for sure, but good descriptions, and i was watching gameplay vids earlier. also i was curious if the batting was fairly straightforward or do you have to be precise? thanks.

batting is easy. Little lag but you have to swing maybe 1 second earlier. Fielding can be difficult at times, but you get better as you go on.
    Mario Strikers Charged Code 034466 539783

If you add me, let me know and i will add u..
    BRAWL CODE-2921 8742 9329

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    My impression after 3 hours of playing:

The Good:
    It's baseball, and I'm a baseball fan.
    The graphics are decent. The players look pretty good, the parks are true to life, but lots of jagged edges are noticeable.
    Great sound.
    Accurate players and lineups for the most part.
    The rookie mode is pretty entertaining to play through
    Normal mode is still pretty hard, so with two more difficulty levels to go, should be plenty of playing time.

The bad:
    The controls are pretty awkward at first, and even after 3 hours don't quite seem accurate all the time, especially on throws.
    There's a control lag, so the type of fielding plays the game thrives on are difficult to pull off because reaction time isn't very good. Batting suffers too because you have to guess the pitch earlier than you should to compensate.
    Throwing different types of pitches can be difficult even on easy mode because they require precise wrist movement, some of which could damage your arm (mainly the elbow)
    Lots of jaggies, even for a Wii game.

Overall:
    Sadly, the control lag takes alot from the game. From what I've read the problem is not exclusive to the Wii, and was identified months ago during beta testing but never fixed. The game overall seems like it was rushed. Home run derby is pathetic and might as well have been left out. I would really have liked so see some season options. They claim it was left out due to the nature of the game, but previous games with this type of edge had season modes and it worked out just fine.

That being said, once you play for a bit the control lag fades to the back of your mind and just becomes part of the game play. The overall awkwardness of the control fades, and game gets to be more fun. However, when you have a split second to react for a diving play, the lag becomes a glaring poblem and pops back into your head for a moment.

The rookie mode is a blast from the few hours I've played on it so far. That's the bread and butter of the game.

If you're a baseball fan looking for an option on the Wii, this is your only one for the season. I give it about a 7/10. It could have been a great game if they would have put the necessary time in it. Obvious problems were left in the game and outside of rookie mode there's no depth whatsoever. The only reason it's not a 6 or even a 5 is because we don't have another option on this system.

I would seriously recommend renting first, but don't form your opinion about it until you've played for at least 2 hours. It takes that long for the controls to stop feeling forced. The longer I played the more fun I had playing it...it's not so much of a learning curve as it is a break-in period.

Member #
    Friends
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    is it better then the wiisports baseball?
    iMac 2.4ghz Aluminum, 4GB iPhone, 12 iPods!

Ads