LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Looks pretty fun... I wish they would just realize that they pretty much got everything totally right with mario 64 and should just do a continuation of that world and it's levels. Thats what my problem was with mario sunshine, it was fun but I didn't like that you weren't in the castle and all the places that mario should be.

Member #
    Friends
    BUMP...Incase people haven't seen it.

Currently Own:
    Hardware: Nintendo Wii, 4 Wii Remotes, 2 Nunchucks
    Games: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero 3

Member #
    Friends
    Updated more Q&A:

Was there a good mixture of massive planets with a lot to do and tiny planets that act as a stop-off point to your destination?
    Yeah, they were arranged quite cleverly. There was never a feeling of "oh no, not ANOTHER small one", because the small ones also range wildly in size and style, from the one that's basically a big hollow capsule that you enter at the bottom and have to get to the top of, to the three tiny round meteors that you have to run right round to collect the five star shards. They're also spread out evenly between the bigger areas, so it's not like one big area then 10 small ones, that'd just get boring.

Were the missions that you played too quick and easy? Or did it take a while to complete?
    As I said before, they were quite simple, but that's because they were introductory levels. I've seen (but not played) another level that looks quite nails.

What's Boo Mario like?
    Do you think there will be any more costumes (or whatever you call them) for Mario (Like Koopa Mario)?
    Any hint of transport for Mario, like Yoshi in Sunshine?

THe answers to all three of these would be complete guesses, since I've never experienced any of them. I'd have thought that there'd be more power-ups for Mario, since it doesn't make sense to have just two power-ups in such a large game (especially when it would make sense that the Bee Mario power-up can only be found in the Bee World). But as I say, I'm just guessing there.

Have you seen Peach yet?!
    Nope. But isn't that the point of the game?

Can you tell us more about the Stardust Galaxy level?
    It was probably the most "galaxy-like" of the levels, because it's set in space and consists mainly of a lot of small planetoids. There's also a nice bit near the end where the floor creates itself as you progress, meaning it looks like you're stepping off into outer space but a platform swoops in at the last minute. It's hard to explain but it looks very sweet.

Okay man, power-ups are awesome in Mario. In this we've so far seen the Bee and Boo. But what I'd like to ask you, in your professional opinion is where the amount of power-ups in Galaxy may fit on this scale:
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Mario World
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Obviously you can't really know this, but I'd like your opinion on it! The home console 3D Mario's always seem a bit lacking in power-ups. Not even a 3D Fire Mario.

I agree with you on the Power-up thing, though Mario 64 did have the Steel Mario, Invisible Mario and Flying Mario, so it wasn't [i]too[/b] bad. The two power-ups we've seen so far already elevate it past SUper Mario World (with its cape) and New Super Mario Bros (with the Hammer Bro suit and the Mini Mushroom) for me, but i'd need to see how many more there are before I can compare it with the ultimate power-up fest that was Super Mario 3. Raccoon Mario, Frog Mario, Tanooki Mario, Hammer Bro Mario, even the Kuribo's Shoe - there's a long way to go before Galaxy can top all that! I agree with you about the fireballs, though I can udnerstand why they haven't been done before because of how tricky it would be to aim in a 3D space. However, if they've got our firing star shards in Galaxy using the pointer, I don't see why they wouldn't be ale to do the same with fireballs. Again though, that's just me speculating, don't read into it!

Also, which power-up would you most like to see revived in 3D? Tanooki?
    Hell yes.

Would you think there'd be alot of replay value from what you've seen so far?
    Again, it's too early to say. I've not seen anything like the Princess's Secret Slide that you could go back to to try and better your score or anything like that, but that's only because of how little of the game I've seen.

In Sunshine and 64, it took around 5-10 minutes to get a star providing you werent COMPLETELY confused as to what to do. Are Galaxy's missions straight forward to work out, and how long did they take?
    Once again (I sound like a broken record, sorry ) it's too early to say because these were among the easiest levels in the game. There are no puzzles to work out, you simply have to get from the start of the level to the end and maybe beat a boss or collect some star shards, then you get a Star. These levels are just there to let players get used to the controls, there's no real challenge in them.

Is walking and jumping on the small, round planets hard, considering its a new perspective to get used to?
    I was worried about that too. But it's fine. It was a bit disorienting the first time I ran him under a round planet, but once you get your head round it it quickly becomes second nature. Mario's shadow is also quite dark so it's easy to judge where you're landing when you jump.

Is the camera responsive on the levels stated above? if not, can it be manually controlled?
    The camera works great and I wasn't annoyed with it at any time. For the most part it's a fixed camera but on more open stages you can turn it left or right using the D-Pad.

I know it's hard to tell but, could it possibly be better than Twilight Princess?
    Totally different game mate. That's like asking who's better, David Beckham or Tiger Woods.

In Super Mario 64, you jumped into paintings. In Super Mario Sunshine, you jumped into graffiti. Does Galaxy follow the same path of going from level to level this way, or is it different? And if it follows 64 and Sunshine do you know what the beginning area is like? (ex. Peach's Castle or Delfino Plaza)
    Don't know yet mate. As I say, I only picked my missions from a debug menu.

Are there more world levels then there are outer space levels?
    I obviously haven't seen enough of the game to tell, but bear in mind the whole game (at least, based on the levels I've seen) is in outer space. The "world levels" like the Bee World are just really large planetoids, and at some point you're likely to find a Star Booster (not its real name ) that blasts you into space to another smaller area. So though some of the "worlds" have their own solid gravity and feel like normal Earth-like levels, they're still set in space and you're likely to be blasting off at some point throughout the stage.

Are there still classic moves in it. Like the Triple jump, Wall jump and that jump were you used to hold Z and press A and Mario did a backflip (how would it work on wii also?)
    Yup, all the old moves are still there. One of the Nunchuk buttons (I can't remember which but I believe it's C) lets Mario crouch, so he can still do the backflip by holding that and jumping, and he can still do the long jump by holding it as you run then jumping. The triple jump's still there too and I did a wall jump at one point.

Is the fur shader as awesome as it looks on videos?
    Aye, I was really impressed by that, especially when you have to crawl on top of the large Queen Bee and find the star shards on her.

Did Mario run fast enough?
    Yup. I've seen a report online that says he ran too slowly, and I've got to say I don't know what that guy was smoking because he runs at his normal pace as far as I'm concerned. The camera's zoomed out a bit more than it was in Mario 64 which perhaps gives the illusion that he's running slower, but he covers roughly the same ground in the same length of time as he would have done in 64.

How easy is Bee Mario to control?
    Very easy. Mario doesn't jump when he's a Bee, so his fying is controlled by holding the jump button. If you watch one of the videos online it makes more sense, it's hard to explain. But it works very well. It's almost like the Fludd nozzle that lets you hover, only he also rises into the air too.

I have yet to REALLY like any 3D platformer, including Mario ones. So what chance do I have of falling in love with this one?
    It's difficult to say, since I don't share your tastes. I'd say if you didn't like Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine then you might struggle to enjoy this, since it's more of the same (albeit perhaps more enjoyable).

Can you say about the tutorial level what has Rosetta in (new princess)
    (possible small spoilers for this mission, guys!)

Well, Rosetta's not the new Princess for starters. She's just there to help you out. When you start the level you meet some small star creatures that turn into rabbits and run away from you. You have to find them (one's hidden in grass, one is hidden down a pipe etc) and catch them all. Once you do they ask you to go and find "Mama", who is ROsetta. Rosetta tells you that she can help you "find your loved one" and she asks you to go and rescue the Great Star (I think it was called the Great Star, I can't remember, sorry). So that's your mission for that level. Once you find the Great Star (or whatever it was called ) she gives you the ability to spin attack, from what I can recall. Sorry, my memory on that level's a bit hazy because I only played it once. The Bee level is my speciality.

Any chances of a snow-themed galaxy? Or for that matter, other really original galaxies like Tick-Tock Clock in SM64 (except for the bee galaxy, of course)?
    Again, like I say, I've only seen a tiny amount of the levels in there. But one of the secret stages that I don't think I can talk about (though it features on one of Nintendo's promo videos) looks pretty cool and is reminiscent of the bonus stages in Super Mario Sunshine, with loads of moving shapes and holes cut in the floor of moving platforms. But like I say, don't know how much detail I can go into there, other than the fact that it's awesome.

Currently Own:
    Hardware: Nintendo Wii, 4 Wii Remotes, 2 Nunchucks
    Games: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero 3

Ads