Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just That Great Extra Life Mushroom's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3210-5733-2914-1432
    I am pretty sure I know what it is...although many may not believe me.

I was talking to a Nintedo rep. on tech support b/c my Wifi USB connector wouldn't work for my DS. He was unable to help me get the program running, and suggested it was either my computer or my ISP. I simply explained that I've been through the same thing with both Dell and AT&T and no one can seem to get the damned thing working when i have tried everything from disabling/re-enabling connection sharing and even rebuilt my whole network from scratch updated the driver,ect..

Anyway he finally offered that I send it back and that it may be defective. (no shit...lol)

For my troubles I asked him for some compensation. he said he was under strict policy not to reveal anything game wise until they were able to officially announce it, which was understandable.

He did however say that there was a new version of the Wii coming out with DVD playback capabilities. I asked him when he said sometime later this year (it was around April at the time). I asked if there was going to be an external add-on for hose of us who already own the console and would like the option. He said that was "classified".

So there you have it. My speculation on what this new SKU could mean for all us "wii-tards" out there.

P.S.:I still never got my wifi connector to work and any help would be appreciated.

Member #
    Friends
    wow, extralifemushroom, thats a TALL tale you got there.

jk i beleive it but i dont see how he couldve told you that since its not released information yet.

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

Member #
    Friends
    5574-4537-7049-7984
    I heard that the new Wii will have a BluRay drive and will come bundled with Halo 3. Just a rumor though.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Life Mushroom
    I am pretty sure I know what it is...although many may not believe me.

I was talking to a Nintedo rep. on tech support b/c my Wifi USB connector wouldn't work for my DS. He was unable to help me get the program running, and suggested it was either my computer or my ISP. I simply explained that I've been through the same thing with both Dell and AT&T and no one can seem to get the damned thing working when i have tried everything from disabling/re-enabling connection sharing and even rebuilt my whole network from scratch updated the driver,ect..

Anyway he finally offered that I send it back and that it may be defective. (no shit...lol)

For my troubles I asked him for some compensation. he said he was under strict policy not to reveal anything game wise until they were able to officially announce it, which was understandable.

He did however say that there was a new version of the Wii coming out with DVD playback capabilities. I asked him when he said sometime later this year (it was around April at the time). I asked if there was going to be an external add-on for hose of us who already own the console and would like the option. He said that was "classified".

So there you have it. My speculation on what this new SKU could mean for all us "wii-tards" out there.

P.S.:I still never got my wifi connector to work and any help would be appreciated.
    i dont believe it because i know there phone calls are recorded. i dont think he'd want to get himself fired and i dont think someone of his status (tech. Help) would know that kind of information, especially not that early on.

Member #
    Friends
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Foot
    I heard that the new Wii will have a BluRay drive and will come bundled with Halo 3. Just a rumor though.

why would you say this? what a waste?

the new wii sku is just with the wiimote covers inside
    iMac 2.4ghz Aluminum, 4GB iPhone, 12 iPods!

Member #
    Friends
    8745-5143-2651-5351
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlewis91
    why would you say this? what a waste?
    I think it's called a joke. The internet is a tough place to convey sarcasm.

MOHH2: AoW fortunz
    xfire: fortunzfavor

I am mianmini at IGN. fortunzfavor [at] netzero [dot] net

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiinter
    I think it's called a joke. The internet is a tough place to convey sarcasm.
    so it goes~

Just That Great Extra Life Mushroom's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3210-5733-2914-1432
    Quote Originally Posted by opitekk
    i dont believe it because i know there phone calls are recorded. i dont think he'd want to get himself fired and i dont think someone of his status (tech. Help) would know that kind of information, especially not that early on.

Have you never worked technical support for a company before? I worked for bellsouth for a year, in their DSL department. I recall getting trained on how to troubleshoot all the new hardware prior to its release, so that when customer's called in I knew how to assist them. Also not all calls are monitored,But that's a moot point.

It wasn't anything title related so no company would've sued over leaking the info and his comments were vague. He simply stated they were working on it at the time and speculated it being ready this holiday season. I think that instead of disregarding my post as pure BS you should try toning it down to mere skepticism?

Think of it like this..the PS2 had the technology for dvd-playback,and that alone was enough at the time to draw in many customers, now such technology is commonplace. We expect no less from the current generation.

Seeing as how Ninty avoided DVDs at the time b/c the technology was still too pricey for them to mass produce and wasn't perfected yet, many people were really upset that the Cube never had the ability to play movies.
    The sad thing is the hardcore gamer doesn't care about watching movies on his play station, he/she wants to play the games. but the casual gamers seem to rule the market currently and they always want more versatile equipment in their homes.
    So take the easy-to pick-up interface of the wii, couple it with the added function of basic dvd playback and there is yet another reason for soccer moms and dads to want to get a wii for the family.

And that is Ninty's goal now to become not the dominant console in the market but simply a household device that 9 out of every 10 families use and enjoy. And if sticking a plain vanilla DVD-Rom into a hot selling console for a marginal fee and bundling it in with a cleverly designed plastic shell (wii-zapper anyone?) for your wii-motes and a few simple titles, if doing just that can increase their market audience I think they're more than willing to invest in the technology.

Lastly, consider the cost in doing this. Right now on newegg.com you can get a new dvd-rom for roughly $20. So they aren't that expensive. And then if you break down the wii, and the remote you learn that really none of the parts cost too much, that is why its the cheapest of the 3 on the market. It's cheap enough to where Ninty makes a few bucks on every console they sell as opposed to Sony who is banking the majority of their income off prospective blu-ray sales. So tack on another $20-something dollars to manufacturing cost and then mark up the console enough to cover the difference touting the hell out of your "new and improved" product and you've just sold another few thousand consoles right there.

Enough with my rambling..point is we wait and see.

Member #
    Friends
    2154-9969-3510-2243
    WTF is SKU?

I Swear never to touch a PlayStation ever again
    I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE Wii
    MAKE YOUR PLEDGE TODAY!

<<<<< Wii Number *Message Me First*

Member #
    Friends