LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Help: Not sure if Wii is for me.

I want to get my kids (8 and 5) a new system. They currently have XBOX, which has no new games. My 8 year old loves skating games like Tony Hawk, while my 5 year old loves Star Wars Battlefront, Godzilla, Lego Star Wars. He also loves the WWII titles, but some are too hard for him and also too violent. I really am unsure about the Wii remote. I can't figure out how you would play a skate game or an army game with a remote that looks like a tv remote. Also, what is the difference between the Wii Remote and the Nun-Chuck. Do you have to use different controllers for different games?

My 8 year old really wants the EA game SKATE, but I did not see it listed for the Wii. Will it be available. Are the Lego games available on the Wii?

If I get a system from say Walmart, will it come with everything I need to start playing? How much does it cost?

What skate games would be fun for an 8 year old? Are there any appropriate (not too violent or difficult) army games for a 5 year old?

Thanks for your help.

Member #
    Friends
    umm shooters are brilliant on the wii
    Wii - 2 remotes - 2 nunchucks - classic controller - wii sports - wii play - resident evil 4 - Mario Strikers Charged - metroid prime 3 - Spyro: Eternal Night - Medal of Honour Heroes 2 - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - Super Mario Galaxy - Super Mario World (snes)

EA nation: ron1jon3

GC8
    Member #
    Friends
    8760-3751-4820-7981
    SKATE is only for the 360...as far as other skating games, there are some Tony Hawk ones, but I have no experience with them

Member #
    Friends
    Admit it, it's for you isn't it?

Anyway! I live in Scotland so not sure bout all the prices where you are. But I'm sure its around $250 (thats US dollars). It is ready to play straight out of the box, the console comes with a wii remote, a nunchuck and a free game (wii sports, which is a great selection of 5 mini games to get you started and help you learn the basics). However you will probably need a second wii remote and nun-chuck, best to buy the remote with the mini game collection wii play, not sure on prices where you are.

The nunchuck has an analogue stick for moving your in game characters etc, whilst the remote is usually used as a pointing device. Both have buttons and motion sensitivity aswell.

At the moment there are 2 army based games, that i know of: Medal of honour Vanguard and Call of Duty 3, I dont have either so not sure if suitable for your kids, Call of Duty 3 got the best reviews though. Also because of the wii controls first person shooters are really good, far better than traditional control pads.

There is a Tony Hawks game, don't have it so can't recommend it. However i do have SSX blur (snowboarding) which is really good but fairly difficult to learn the moves. The problem the wii seems to be having at the moment is that it is marketed as an easy pick up and play system but some games are very tricky to master, especially for 8 and 5 year olds.

There are also LEGO star wars and Godzilla Unleashed coming out soon!

So to recap: To get started you will need -
    Wii console (including free wii sports game) : $250
    Wii play (with wii remote): $??
    Additional nun-chuck controller: $??
    Last edited by Wh15ky; 10-16-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    buy wii
    buy wiiplay
    buy nunchuck
    Wii - 2 remotes - 2 nunchucks - classic controller - wii sports - wii play - resident evil 4 - Mario Strikers Charged - metroid prime 3 - Spyro: Eternal Night - Medal of Honour Heroes 2 - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - Super Mario Galaxy - Super Mario World (snes)

EA nation: ron1jon3

Member #
    Friends
    although metriod prime isnt an army game as such it would be very much worth buying for your sons as it uses the remote very successfully and although can be challenging is still do able, also i believe it would be still suitable for younger kids as there is no graphic violence it is really a game fantasy
    Mr wii man is here

mario strikers fc code: 232037 285654
    wii fc code : 5367 7688 3777 9378

pm me if u wanna add

AHHHHH Hitler had stormtroopers

Member #
    Friends
    If you're looking for an army game or anything like that, get Bwii, which stands for Battalion Wars II. Looks like a great game, and has online.

Member #
    Friends
    Their will soon be a board type setup for the wii which can interact with games like tony hawk so to skateboard the user is using more than just a controller.
    Lego stars the complete saga releases next month, it features episodes I thru 6 with bonus levels. Some games use just the wiimote and some games require the wiimote and nunchuk. If you buy a wii get your kids big brain academy, I think they will enjoy it.
    my wii number is
    8314 4155 7406 0563

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ronjon13
    umm shooters are brilliant on the wii
    really? since when?

anyways, youre better off getting a ps3 or 360. they have games like skate, the new tony hawk, star wars battlefront if it comes out on 360 but should def. come out on ps3. 360 also has plenty of ww2 shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon13
    buy wii
    buy wiiplay
    buy nunchuck
    that should cover his star wars, ww2, and tony hawk needs for sure!
    Last edited by Sovieto; 10-16-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Del fuego he resurgido {Axtlár}'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    5200-6176-6963-9732
    Shooters are brilliant on Wii since Metroid Prime 3, which I recommend highly (for you, sir, but not for your kids), as well as buying a Wii; it's the cheapest and the richest when it comes to gameplay, plus most games don't have much violence. a Godzilla is coming November or earlier for the Wii, it's called "Godzilla Unleashed" and it uses both the Wiimote and Nunchuck as well as other great games, so I suggest you buy a Nunchuck along with a Wiimote, when you buy the Wii you'll get a Wiimote and a Nunchuck(the two connect for specific games like boxing using both as your gloves) there's Mario Galxy coming out which your kids will love, as well as Mario Strikers, and there's a Tony Hawk game out already and another one coming out, there's also SSX Blur which is a snowboarding game, and don't worry, the controls are explained in each game and they're not hard to execute. There's also the most anticipated game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl in which all the Nintendo mascots (Mario, Pikachu, Link, Samus) come together and fight in 2-D, it's fun. The Wii also has online features for buying retro games that you may have played in the past, and has a weather channel, a news channel, and for creating Miis, and of course an Internet channel where you can navigate the web with the Wiimote, and once you plug the Wii in you'll see all of these features are easy to use.

The end is near....Or is it the beginning?
    it's THE BEGINNING of an endless fall into a precipice of epic Brawling fun.
    Add me to Brawl:
    FC: 317957548849
    User name: AXTLR
    if you added me, send me a pm with your code too, please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads