Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by iggypop
    oh and the mod WILL damage your wii .... straight from nintendo :

"the mod will also cause significant damage to the console's laser over time, given that it isn't built to function non-stop as is necessary to play DVDs"

just a complete waste for your wii
    Gotta link for that?

Plus that doesn't even make sense. It's a standard laser-diode. They'll run practically forever. It's not new, fragile technology. The motor that positions the laser will die long before the laser itself malfunctions (and that's proven technology too that should last a long long time). And that motor gets a much harder workout from games than a movie.

Member #
    Friends
    5930-2204-0713-5850
    Hmm can't wait to watch dvd's on the wii channel when the update comes
    Aren't you? oh wait, you modded your wii... so by then you'll be bricked. nice

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    Gotta link for that?

Plus that doesn't even make sense. It's a standard laser-diode. They'll run practically forever. It's not new, fragile technology. The motor that positions the laser will die long before the laser itself malfunctions (and that's proven technology too that should last a long long time). And that motor gets a much harder workout from games than a movie.

yeah exactly its a standard laser-diode ... they definately DO NOT run forever. because the dvd playback is making the laser run for a sustained continuous amount of time (which it is not meant to do) it is very susceptible to catastrophic optical damage. the laser constantly running, being reflected by both the dvd disc and the cleaved mirror will cause signiifcant heating. most dvd players are built so that this heat is pretty much a non issue, but since the wii was not built to play dvd's it will definately overheat and will take thousands of hours off your wii's life (best way i could describe it in laymans terms)

Member #
    Friends
    yeah exactly its a standard laser-diode ... they definately DO NOT run forever. because the dvd playback is making the laser run for a sustained continuous amount of time (which it is not meant to do) it is very susceptible to catastrophic optical damage. the laser constantly running, being reflected by both the dvd disc and the cleaved mirror will cause signiifcant heating. most dvd players are built so that this heat is pretty much a non issue, but since the wii was not built to play dvd's it will definately overheat and will take thousands of hours off your wii's life (best way i could describe it in laymans terms)
    Too bad most games have very very frequent disc access... I guess all our lasers will melt in 6 months.
    Reading data for a game is exactly the same as reading data for a movie. DVD laser diodes will not last forever, but other parts of the system will break down far sooner than that. Heat from the laser is not an issue. Who in their right mind would mass produce a laser diode that was not meant to actually be used? Nintendo does not manufacture their own DVD laser mechanisms. They're off the shelf components, the same kinds used in countless DVD movie players.

Still waiting for that link from Nintendo too...

Member #
    Friends
    Too bad most games have very very frequent disc access... I guess all our lasers will melt in 6 months.
    Reading data for a game is exactly the same as reading data for a movie. DVD laser diodes will not last forever, but other parts of the system will break down far sooner than that. Heat from the laser is not an issue. Who in their right mind would mass produce a laser diode that was not meant to actually be used? Nintendo does not manufacture their own DVD laser mechanisms. They're off the shelf components, the same kinds used in countless DVD movie players.

Still waiting for that link from Nintendo too...
    well it's useless to respond to you anymore because it's obvious you have no idea what you talking about, because most games DONT have very frequent laser access. just know that playing DVD's will wreck your wii fast.
    my last post

wii owner since release Yellow_Wii's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    nice one venom!

Member #
    Friends
    well it's useless to respond to you anymore because it's obvious you have no idea what you talking about, because most games DONT have very frequent laser access. just know that playing DVD's will wreck your wii fast.
    I wonder which of us is a programmer with a degree in electronics?

You never backed up this quote either:
    (Can't find it on Google either, I'm sure you wouldn't want people to think you are intentionally spreading misinformation)
    oh and the mod WILL damage your wii .... straight from nintendo :

"the mod will also cause significant damage to the console's laser over time, given that it isn't built to function non-stop as is necessary to play DVDs"

Member #
    Friends
    I wonder which of us is a programmer with a degree in electronics?

YEAH RIGHT ... YOU ARE SOOOOO FULL OF SH!T!!!
    first off only a moron would say i have a degree in "electronics", it's called electrical engineering and my brother actually is in his 3rd year at devry. so mr. programmer which part of the sentence is false:

DVD-ROM and RAM products are now running the laser diodes at the 635-650 nm range. These can be read at 0.4um pits at approximately 0.74um tracks to store up to 4.9GB. These discs are then readable at 17MB/sec. The newer GrN laser diode has 0.2um pits at 0.55um tracks for greater storage.

my brother calls your bullsh!t CHUMP!!!!!

Member #
    Friends
    YEAH RIGHT ... YOU ARE SOOOOO FULL OF SH!T!!!
    first off only a moron would say i have a degree in "electronics", it's called electrical engineering and my brother actually is in his 3rd year at devry.
    Electrical Engineering is not the only type of electronics degree...

so mr. programmer which part of the sentence is false:
    DVD-ROM and RAM products are now running the laser diodes at the 635-650 nm range. These can be read at 0.4um pits at approximately 0.74um tracks to store up to 4.9GB. These discs are then readable at 17MB/sec. The newer GrN laser diode has 0.2um pits at 0.55um tracks for greater storage.
    I'm not a walking encyclopedia of laser wavelengths and DVD pit sizes. Not to mention that information is largely irrelevant to the discussion.

Still waiting for that Nintendo quote source...

Member #
    Friends
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    man, OP admits to so many crimes in this thread, its hilarious.
    Join the Buy BWii Campaign and Buy BWii!
    Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads