Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Where is your god now? zapasant's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2887-9874-6238-6951

IGN: Wii Zapper review.

Nintendo Wii Zapper Review
    Has the first-party gun bracket improved since E3?
    by Gerry Block

November 16, 2007 - Way back at E3 2006, months before the Wii launched that fall, Nintendo showed off a pretty cool looking prototype of a possible design for a Wii Zapper. The pistol-like design looked sexy and highly reminiscent of the original Zapper for the NES. Somewhat disappointingly however, the pistol was dropped in favor of a new tommy-gun looking design that premiered at E3 2007 to rather under whelmed hands on reports.

Today we've finally got the hardware in the office for official review, and unfortunately, nothing has changed. Our big complaint with the Wii Zapper has always been the fact that Nintendo pursued the tommy gun layout, which is the cause of every one of the Zapper's problems. The biggest of these is the implementation of a plastic trigger in the forward grip that presses against the Wiimote's own B trigger. In use this connection doesn't work well, as the mechanical trigger has a very squishy, imprecise throw that makes it really difficult to tell when the actual button is depressed. The issue is exacerbated in gameplay moments that require rapid shooting, as all too often the trigger doesn't fully extend in between shots, which mean you'll only end up getting about half as many bullets or cross bow bolts out of your weapon as you think you should.

Back at E3 we weren't permitted to take the Zapper apart, so we assumed Nintendo hadn't put a strong enough spring in between the mechanical trigger and the Wiimote trigger. Now that we've got a Zapper in hand, we've discovered there is no spring at all, which we believe may be the whole problem since there is not enough force to make the triggers go through their entire range of motion during rapid fire moments. We've got some plans to do a bit of modding to add a spring ourselves, so stay tuned to see what difference that makes.

The other problem the tommy gun layout causes is the fact that it's pretty much impossible to access any of the face buttons on the Wiimote when it's in the Zapper bracket, at least with the speed that's require for gameplay. This makes the Zapper useless with games like Red Steel and CoD, which is disappointing.

To Nintendo's credit, the Zapper is by far the highest quality lightgun bracket available in terms of general build quality. The white plastic is lightly textured in grip areas and feels high quality overall. The Wiimote is secured quite well via a pair of grey plastic spring-loaded hooks that latch into it in the holes to either side of the Nunchuck connection point. The Nuncuck, too, is nicely secured in its place by plastic shivs that extend into the screw recesses. A protected wire run leads from the Nunchuck and into a space behind the forward grip where it can be coiled conveniently before jutting out the side to make the connection to the Wiimote.

Were the Zapper sold individually, we might suggest avoiding it in favor of a more adaptable third-party model. Such is not the case however, as the Zapper is bundled with Link's Crossbow Training, which is tons of fun. As such, we're pretty sure the Zapper will find its way into masses of homes. The telling issue will be how long owners will care to use it before abandoning the bracket altogether in favor of free hand shooting. We suspect not long.

SCORE-BELOW

Spoiler Alert!

SOURCE- http://gear.ign.com/articles/836/836064p1.html

PSN ID: zapasant93

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    hmm. . . I'll buy a spring or somethin.
    Wii games: Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, Zelda TP, SSX: Blur, Excite Truck, The Godfather, and Mario Kart Wii
    PC games: Call of Duty 4, Halo 1, UT3, F.E.A.R., and The Orange Box.
    PS3 games: Ratchet and Clank F.T.O.D., Resistance 2, Wipeout HD, and MGS4.

Member #
    Friends
    5231-0127-5051-6215
    I really dont like the looks of it. Does Nintendo or a third party going to make one where just the remote is in something that looks like a gun because i dont like the fact that you have to hold the nunchuck in front of you like its shown with the remote in front of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mario Strikers: 116076 328448

EA Persona: (FIFA 08) & (MOH:H2) Whoopsfire

Member #
    Friends
    I like it ,will get Links Crossbow training.
    Your Pro ,or your a noob - thats life

I own a USA Wii (sold my EUR Wii) 2x Wii motes 2x Nunchucks

Super Mario Galaxy | Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution | Guitar Hero 3(selling PM if interested) | Zelda TP | Wario Ware

Member #
    Friends
    meh, free hand shooting wil be better. but that will be so realistic in MOH for tilting
    Wii - 2 remotes - 2 nunchucks - classic controller - wii sports - wii play - resident evil 4 - Mario Strikers Charged - metroid prime 3 - Spyro: Eternal Night - Medal of Honour Heroes 2 - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - Super Mario Galaxy - Super Mario World (snes)

EA nation: ron1jon3

Member #
    Friends
    4688-4688-3523-9530
    I agree, I don't like that the nunchuk is held where it is. I actually bought a light gun shell from some totally random Korean company about two months ago. It's a pistol shell that cradles the Wiimote, and has a pass-thru in the the butt where you plug in your 'chuk. (I'm obviously new here, and need to figure out how/when I can post pics... I could save myself a few thousand words...)

It's pretty nice, actually, and allows for freedom of movement with the left hand/nunchuk (i.e. Red Steel, where you must swing the nunchuk to perform certain actions). The Wiimote's face buttons can be a bit hard to reach, but this seems to be a common problem. Funny thing-- this no-name knockoff does use a spring. The action is pretty tight, and rapid-fire shots aren't a problem.

This company could release a new version of the shell I bought that costs maybe $5-10 more, but has an even better spring, slightly improved fit/finish, and re-mapped face buttons to make the reachable by thumb... and it'd blow Nintendo's effort clear out of the water. (If they wanted to really get nuts, they'd add a dedicated wireless nunchuk that worked only with the gun shell it came with. Maybe even shape it like a grenade, or something.)

By bracketing the nunchuk to the shell, you remove that left-hand-is-doing-whatever-while-right-hand-continues-to-aim-and/or-fire gameplay mechanic. That seems like a step backwards.
    def-1

Member #
    Friends
    7448-6534-8132-0252
    its just a hunk of plastic

MSC Code:463963 185826

If you want an easy win go ahead and play me...tell me if you add me

EA Username: TitansATB go ahead and add me on this

Member #
    Friends
    5481-6878-4567-7796
    Quote Originally Posted by def-1
    I agree, I don't like that the nunchuk is held where it is. I actually bought a light gun shell from some totally random Korean company about two months ago. It's a pistol shell that cradles the Wiimote, and has a pass-thru in the the butt where you plug in your 'chuk. (I'm obviously new here, and need to figure out how/when I can post pics... I could save myself a few thousand words...)

It's pretty nice, actually, and allows for freedom of movement with the left hand/nunchuk (i.e. Red Steel, where you must swing the nunchuk to perform certain actions). The Wiimote's face buttons can be a bit hard to reach, but this seems to be a common problem. Funny thing-- this no-name knockoff does use a spring. The action is pretty tight, and rapid-fire shots aren't a problem.

This company could release a new version of the shell I bought that costs maybe $5-10 more, but has an even better spring, slightly improved fit/finish, and re-mapped face buttons to make the reachable by thumb... and it'd blow Nintendo's effort clear out of the water. (If they wanted to really get nuts, they'd add a dedicated wireless nunchuk that worked only with the gun shell it came with. Maybe even shape it like a grenade, or something.)

By bracketing the nunchuk to the shell, you remove that left-hand-is-doing-whatever-while-right-hand-continues-to-aim-and/or-fire gameplay mechanic. That seems like a step backwards.

i believe u were referring to this?

yea i like the looks of it better than da zapper.. u cud play RE:UC dual wielding this i want to try haha
    Super Smash Brawl FC : 2921-8748-2416

Are u from the west coast and do you play 2v2?
    Add us and other people who play 2vs2 as well from this thread:
    http://www.wiichat.com/pacific-west/...westcoast.html

Where is your god now? zapasant's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2887-9874-6238-6951
    hahaha looks good, but i dont like how there is no socket for the nunchuck

PSN ID: zapasant93

Member #
    Friends
    4688-4688-3523-9530
    Quote Originally Posted by phillepino
    i believe u were referring to this?

yea i like the looks of it better than da zapper.. u cud play RE:UC dual wielding this i want to try haha
    We have a winnah!!! That's the one!

On the back of the gun (you can't see it at all from the angle in the pic you posted), there is room for 'A', '-', and '+' (and maybe the '1' and '2', also) buttons. I'd buy that!

I'm with you on the dual-wielding... hmmm...
    def-1

Ads