LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I agree i'm sick of the market being flooded with shitty games like Ninjabread man.

Nintendo should invest in some third party exclusives now!

Resident evil 5 please capcom

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by SensesFail
    thats the problem i had, everybody is saying "the wii is gonna have some sweet games coming out" but i dont see any? ive been hearing that since i bought my wii seven or eight months ago. there was a couple good games, resident evil 4 among them wich is just a port, much like alot of the other games.
    Part of the problem is that developers were caught off guard by the massive success of the Wii. So they got a late start and it can take a really long time to develop a top notch game.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    Part of the problem is that developers were caught off guard by the massive success of the Wii. So they got a late start and it can take a really long time to develop a top notch game.
    its not that developers got a late start..its the fact that a lot of 3rd party developers have there engines graphically way to high for the wii ..its actually easier for them to make the inrense graphic game then it is for a game on the wii, they gave to down grade in order to make a game.. like the article i posted above says "the wii is nothing more then an advanced gamecube".

Holy Trinity of Nintendo devitek's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6202-9304-2933-3293
    There are currently several top-notch games for the Wii--I shouldn't have to list them, as most have been mentioned already in this thread. There are several more on the horizon...look at "No More Heroes", which is definitely a third-party game and it looks extremely nice.

But, this doesn't answer the question. Is the Wii doomed to follow in the footsteps of it's predecesor, the GameCube? Not likely, no.

I remember hearing things about the Wii prior to launch that described the system as "supplementary" to a high-end system, such as the 360 and the PS3. I can't find the article now, but it seems as though Nintendo had not really intended on competing with the Microsoft/Sony marketshare. Instead, they were only looking to fill in the gap between the non-gamer and the hardcore gamer. To that end, they are succeeding.

So, I imagine that it's a tricky thing to balance between those things. Developers don't know how to treat the system, so they take the safe road and just dump any old title on there. Throughout the history of gaming, there have always been people that have picked up games based on boxart and the description on the back of that box without actually knowing what they were really getting into. When I was starting out, the only thing I had to go on was Nintendo Power, and they didn't have every single game in there that was being released. Sometimes I had to take a chance. THAT is was many of the third-party licenses are banking on--people will pick up the box and say "Wow, this looks like it might be fun." You don't have to have a good game to sell the game, you just have to put it on the most popular system on the market.

Actually, that's what it all comes down to. Companies are fully aware that the Wii is #1, so they know they can throw any old thing on there and still make a bit of profit. Honestly, how many of us had our parents buy us a game because it "looked like something we would like", only to find out it was pretty much the worst game ever (see "Athena", NES).

The Wii is fine. There is a list of reasons a mile long pointing to why, but it's fine. Next year we'll start seeing even more intense games than we have in the past month (seriously, RE:UC, MOHH2, etc...these aren't good enough?), and it will just get better and better.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid -- The Holy Trinity of Nintendo

Member #
    Friends
    4103-3191-5795-3127
    Wii still sold out at the local shopping complex. Asda sold out, HMV sold out all last week but got a few in today, bundles only. Look at the games now:

2 Mario games
    Mario & Sonic Olympics
    Zelda
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil UC
    Metroid Prime 3
    Winter Sports
    Medal of Honor
    Man Hunt
    Fifa
    NBA
    Madden
    Sims 1 & 2

Granted a few are Nintedos games and the majority of other games come from EA but theres quite a catalogue available now.

I think the future looks pretty good for the Wii and Christmas will see a lot of sales.

Wii Sports, Red Steel (27%), Zelda : Twilight Princess (Forest Temple), Resident Evil 4 : Wii Edition (3-1), Trauma Center : Second Opinion (Ch2 1), Super Paper Mario (Ch 3-1), Mario Strikers Charged Football, MoH Heroes 2

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    i grow worried fo the wii

Member #
    Friends
    6202-9304-2933-3293
    Nah, the Wii is strong. It can take it!

Member #
    Friends
    The Wiis situation is nothing like the Gamecubes. The Gamecube had a lack of third party games because the system didnt sell in huge numbers. The Wii has sold in huge numbers and been a suprise success so developers have been playing catch up and releasing rushed titles and ports.

Yes the Wii is getting a ton of shovelware but so did the PS2. Sure it would be great if every single game was up to the standard of Mario Galaxy but the shovelware does fill up shelf space so prospective console buyers see shelves full of games and think that the Wii is a successful system with a lot of games. That was one of the most impressive things about the PS2, at least 75% of the games were awful but when you see those shelves full of games, well it has to be the best console to get right?

For a first year the Wii has had some incredible games and has definite big games to come (SSBB and Mario Kart are virtually guarunteed successes). Other than FF and MGS on PS3 i dont know of any future big releases for the other consoles. People will always whine about the games available but it could be worse, you could have just had a PS3 for a year with even fewer quality titles to play and been constantly waiting for a really great game to come out to justify your purchase.

A lot of third partys have been snooty towards the Wii but they soon do a back track when they realise what a big market it is (like the guys making Spore who cussed the Wii to hell at first but then did a total 180 and said that the Wii was the only true next gen machine). It dosent matter how great they think their game engine looks on PS3 or whatever, if the game cost $20 million to make and only sells about 100k copies then in terms of profitabilty it stops looking so great and Wii starts looking a whole lot better.

We are still probably getting a 360 this Christmas but there are not many games that interest me that much on it, only Mass Effect and COD4 are probably must plays for me. The majority of Christmas gaming is for our Wii with 5 games on Santa's list and shock horror all of those 5 are third party games!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by raisinghelen
    The Wiis situation is nothing like the Gamecubes. The Gamecube had a lack of third party games because the system didnt sell in huge numbers. The Wii has sold in huge numbers and been a suprise success so developers have been playing catch up and releasing rushed titles and ports.

Yes the Wii is getting a ton of shovelware but so did the PS2. Sure it would be great if every single game was up to the standard of Mario Galaxy but the shovelware does fill up shelf space so prospective console buyers see shelves full of games and think that the Wii is a successful system with a lot of games. That was one of the most impressive things about the PS2, at least 75% of the games were awful but when you see those shelves full of games, well it has to be the best console to get right?

For a first year the Wii has had some incredible games and has definite big games to come (SSBB and Mario Kart are virtually guarunteed successes). Other than FF and MGS on PS3 i dont know of any future big releases for the other consoles. People will always whine about the games available but it could be worse, you could have just had a PS3 for a year with even fewer quality titles to play and been constantly waiting for a really great game to come out to justify your purchase.

A lot of third partys have been snooty towards the Wii but they soon do a back track when they realise what a big market it is (like the guys making Spore who cussed the Wii to hell at first but then did a total 180 and said that the Wii was the only true next gen machine). It dosent matter how great they think their game engine looks on PS3 or whatever, if the game cost $20 million to make and only sells about 100k copies then in terms of profitabilty it stops looking so great and Wii starts looking a whole lot better.

We are still probably getting a 360 this Christmas but there are not many games that interest me that much on it, only Mass Effect and COD4 are probably must plays for me. The majority of Christmas gaming is for our Wii with 5 games on Santa's list and shock horror all of those 5 are third party games!
    ok well...the Wii IS the gamecube, only a slight graphic upgrade..all the hardware inside it is the same, basically...yes the gamecube didnt sell much so it didnt have games and the Wii is sellin like crazy, BUT the reason why no games from 3rd party isnt out is cuz they dont want to DOWN GRADE!!!!!!..the Wii isnt built for nexgen..it can handle wat the other systems are putting out, and that is the reason for all the "shovelware"...the Wii is nothing but a fad...now i love the my Wii and wouldnt sell it back or anything...but i am sick on Nintendo..and mark my words...this time next yr the Wii will be the next "lunch Box".

Member #
    Friends
    6202-9304-2933-3293
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliss
    ok well...the Wii IS the gamecube, only a slight graphic upgrade..all the hardware inside it is the same, basically...yes the gamecube didnt sell much so it didnt have games and the Wii is sellin like crazy, BUT the reason why no games from 3rd party isnt out is cuz they dont want to DOWN GRADE!!!!!!..the Wii isnt built for nexgen..it can handle wat the other systems are putting out, and that is the reason for all the "shovelware"...the Wii is nothing but a fad...now i love the my Wii and wouldnt sell it back or anything...but i am sick on Nintendo..and mark my words...this time next yr the Wii will be the next "lunch Box".
    The Wii is the WII, with backward compatibility with the GameCube. Sales is what drives the industry, not hardware specs. Third-party developers don't have to downgrade necessarily. In fact, with lesser hardware means less difficulty with development. Let's face it, they can build Wii games off of the GameCube architecture if they want to.

Oh, and all video game systems are "fads", if you look at the statistics. They are incepted, they last for awhile, then they make way for newer hardware. I'm not going to convince you that this system is somehow superior to everything else on the market, but it holds the public interest and marketshare. It will continue to dominate unless it starts exploding or causing people to die.

The third-party support isn't even necessary to the system's success. They keep enough first-party games moving to keep people playing.

Ads