Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6352-8868-3020-2426

Uk teachers call for a ban on "Bully" for Wii and Xbox360

Despite the fact it's already been sitting on the shelves for over a year on PS2, another ruckus is being kicked off over Rockstar's Bully, reignited thanks to the upcoming release of Xbox 360 and Wii versions of the game.

UK publication Daily Telegraph describes the new Scholarship Edition, as an "even more realistic" take on the 2006 original, which "encourages players to act out assaults on pupils and teachers." Beating a dead horse much?

The game's also sparked additional rows by changing its name from Canis Canem Edit back to Bully, which in itself is enough to get readers all riled up.

Niall Cowley, of the charity BeatBullying, said: "We're disappointed this game was created in the first place. Some mindless people thought this was a fun, interesting piece of software to create, but it undermines all the hard work that organisations like ours are seeking to do."

Cowley said that when the original was launched last year, Rockstar tried to persuade his group to back Canis by offering a donation. "It was the most distasteful thing in the world - the idea that we could be bought off like that," he said.

"We have the interests of the children of this country in our mind, not of the shareholders of this company."

In the UK, PC World and Currys have already refused to stock the Xbox 360 and Wii updates, as they did with the PS2 original. The National Union of Teachers meanwhile has called for a wider ban on the game.

In a statement, a Rockstar spokesperson said: "It is a comedic romp. The last game sold fabulously in the UK and was critically acclaimed.

"It is not a game about playing a bully. It is about the trials and tribulations of a boy in his first year at school. He protects children against other characters. People have to be able to make their own decisions and to judge for themselves, with an open mind."

Is it really worth wasting our words over this anymore? Anyone who's actually played the game will realise it's a tongue-in-cheek action game which mostly has you protecting people from bullies rather than picking on pip-squeaks at random.

It's one of Rockstar's better games in recent times, so we definitely recommend a look when it arrives in the UK this March.
    LINK

Sig by Close
    Old one by Idjut

~Join The Tingle Fan Club (TFC)~
    9 Members And Growing!

-=:Join the 1st Church of Ramen (1CR)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    The UK, well, I'd hate to live there. There's so much censorship and crap (not only in the UK but all of Europe) it's disgusting.
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Wo wo, It's not too bad. Yes our laws suck. But it's a good country -Laugh-

No Longer Have A Wii

Member #
    Friends
    9156-1265-6763-2556
    Quote Originally Posted by 261311
    The UK, well, I'd hate to live there. There's so much censorship and crap (not only in the UK but all of Europe) it's disgusting.
    Hahaha, Eurotrash anybody?
    I love you, Adam.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by 261311
    There's not that much censorship.

I mean, the British Version of Fahrenheit for the PS2 (and xbox) actually had a proper sex scene in the UK version. I believe that was cut from the US version.

Besides that, what have politicians and Fox news been reporting lately? Pretty much the same scare-mongering tactics used here.

Although Germany seems pretty bad for censoring...

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    Who is actually buying this game anyways? I doubt anyone who even buys this game is going to go around beating people up.

Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Warioware Smooth Moves, Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock, Super Paper Mario, Wii Play, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
    -=Join the NEW Sonic Fan Club, PM FLYNNN=-

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiimoto
    Who is actually buying this game anyways? I doubt anyone who even buys this game is going to go around beating people up.
    Anyone who would do that afterwards would also do that before.

Media effects is probably one of the bigger lies in the media itself.

Of course, what they won't tell you is that ALL of the evidence against computer games is pretty much either underhanded, misguided or untrustworthy. I mean, how can you get reliable, replicable result from studying behaviours of people who play video games if you purposefully choose only a short time to do the said study? And how can you prove that the link is a direct correlation (as in people who play videogames BECOME violent, rather than violent people being attracted to said computer games). Likewise, it doesn't seek to differentiate between "casual" gamers, gamers that aren't into the blood and gore, the gamers who aren't into FPS etc...

Pretty much, it's a case of people wanting a piece of the spotlight.

Happened with comic books too. Parent's need to get off their ass and put the damn parental controls on their kids consoles, pronto.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    5431-1607-7668-3461
    Anyone who does anything featured in games like Grand Theft Auto already has some sort of underlying mental condition.
    "My Pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my Charizard."

XBOX 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii owner.

WiiChat Writer
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    People are taking video games way to seriously nowadays. It's not like anyone is going to play and go into school and actually beating someone up...

Xbox Live: RivalDestiny
    PSN: RivalDestiny
    Wii FC: 0409 5781 9484 0073

Member #
    Friends
    9156-1265-6763-2556
    Quote Originally Posted by RivalDestiny
    People are taking video games way to seriously nowadays. It's not like anyone is going to play and go into school and actually beating someone up...
    Then why do we have age ratings?
    I love you, Adam.

Ads