LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3099-0319-5478-2979

News On the Wii and DS versions of Spore

It seems like Will Wright and Maxis’ Spore has been in development forever, but after a number of delays and dodging of the questions regarding a release date, publisher Elecronic Arts has finally confirmed in a press release that the title will be arriving worldwide on the Nintendo DS this coming September 07. Worryingly, there was no mention of the Nintendo Wii version in the latest official detailing, but a recent interview with Wright reassures us that it is still in the pipeline.

The press release reads:

The wait is almost over,” said Maxis Chief Designer Will Wright. “We’re in our final stages of testing and polish with Spore, and the team at Maxis can’t wait to see the cosmos of content created by the community later this year.”

Spore’s premise is one that reeks of ambition, giving players the chance to shape their very own universe, from the very first life forms graduating to establishing tribes, building civilizations and populating them with vehicles, buildings and even UFOs. This can all, then, be shared with other gamers.

Asked about the Nintendo DS version of Spore, Wright told Newsweek that it was an entirely unique design, different to Spore on any of the other formats, and something that would make unique use of the DS as a platform, both control-wise and in terms of Internet Connectivity:

Players will create their own creature in the Creature Creator and then evolve this creature by making friends, defeating enemies and exploring the galaxy on a quest to find new evolutionary paths and save their home world. Along the way, they can record all the species they’ve encountered using the Spore Species Guide, trade and collect custom created creatures and earn badges for accomplishing a variety of tasks.

Wright added that the aesthetic look of Spore on the Nintendo DS will also differ to that of its counterparts, while any creatures that players create can be shared with friends, either to buddy up with or attack other gamers.

Speaking of the Nintendo Wii version, again to NewsWeek, Wright explained how the console’s motion controls were integral to the type of experience players will gain from Spore on said format:

“…What interests me about the Wii is that in some sense you have a much higher bandwith controller than you have with any other console or even a PC… it should really feel like I’m puppeteering this creature very directly, as opposed to I’m just indirectly controlling with a few buttons here and there. The rest of the design is totally going to evolve around that.

A lot of the prototyping they’ve been doing is, “How do we make you feel like you have the most control over this creature, even in a very subtle ways, by moving this controller around?” and then make the gameplay serve that…

Spore was originally a working title, suggested by developer Ocean Quigley, for the game which was first referred to by the general public as Sim Everything. Even though Sim Everything was a first choice name for Wright, the title Spore stuck. It’s development began way back in 2000, and it was eventually officially unveiled at E3 in 2005.

Given the Nintendo Wii version was not mentioned on today’s press release, we’d guess that its launch date differs to that of the Nintendo DS. As soon as we receive any further information, we’ll let you know.
    Source

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Mario kart madness Mojor Skittish's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6375-5345-9532-5653
    yes another game coming to the wii, never tryed that sort of game though
    mario strikers charged fc 081715 212642
    MOH H2 Persona=MajorSkitish
    Battalion wars2 fc=PM me because i forgot

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I'm afraid the additional delay for the Wii version will push it into 2009.

But this is definitely a game I'll be keeping my eye on. Anyone here used to play Black & White?
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    8480-0209-2306-3955
    i've played spore on a friend's ps3, and i'm not so sure it's my type of game =/

unless they add clearer "objectives" to the wii version, i'll probably rent it at most.

Currently Playing:
    The Conduit
    Call of Duty: World at War

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by AoWFraggit
    i've played spore on a friend's ps3, and i'm not so sure it's my type of game =/

unless they add clearer "objectives" to the wii version, i'll probably rent it at most.

It hasn't been released yet man, I think you're thinking of Flow? You start that one as a single celled organism. Either way spore looks like it will be worth the wait.
    Wii Software: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Mario Strikers Charged, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, SSBB

Wii Ware: 4 remotes, 4 nunchuks, charge stations, 1 classic contoller, gun.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 Username: SMYF (Show Me Yo' FACE!)

Currently Playing: Nothing because I'm sending my Wii in for repair.

Member #
    Friends
    8480-0209-2306-3955
    ah, my bad.

Currently Playing:
    The Conduit
    Call of Duty: World at War

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    I'm afraid the additional delay for the Wii version will push it into 2009.

But this is definitely a game I'll be keeping my eye on. Anyone here used to play Black & White?
    Yeah 2009 will probably be the year we see it, I can wait though.
    There is a plethora of games waiting to be played by me this year.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    spore comin 2 the DS? kool :}
    hmmm what to put here, oh ya
    my friend codes!
    but i just sold all my good ds games to get Halo 3 and a xbox 360
    *finds Worms Open Warfare in Christmas stocking*
    Worms 2 friend code: 322 234 789 091

Member #
    Friends
    Sounds like we'll get the DS version around the PC release. I've been following this game for a while now and plan on buying it on release day. Glad they finally issued a date, put some new videos on their webpage and actually sent out a news letter to subscribers.

Amazon and other rumor were around March, but I think I'll be able to wait a little longer. I want to hear more about the DS version.

Member #
    Friends
    i hope it comes to the DS soon, cause mine is getting boring, and i dont have a wii
    hmmm what to put here, oh ya
    my friend codes!
    but i just sold all my good ds games to get Halo 3 and a xbox 360
    *finds Worms Open Warfare in Christmas stocking*
    Worms 2 friend code: 322 234 789 091

Ads