Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3099-0319-5478-2979

Sony's Harrison: You Can't Get Wii's Whole Audience

At the "Lunch with the Luminaries" luncheon at GDC this year, Sony's president of worldwide studios Phil Harrison told EA Blueprint's Neil Young that making Wii games may not be as viable as third-party publishers think.

Due to competition with Nintendo's unstoppable games, according to Harrison, who was speaking at the invite-only press lunch: "Your addressable market is only 40% of the installed base."

Young countered that EA's recent successful Wii title Smarty Pants, which had its gestation in meetings at the last GDC less than a year ago with developers Planet Moon, was "very easy to build very quickly."

The EA executive suggested that it was "...fundamentally much more fun... almost like Xbox Live Arcade [development] to some degree" - he feels that's where the Wii's strength lies.
    Source

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    3156-1824-0023-3057
    so sony's complementing the wii? way to go sony.

Spoiler Alert!

Thanks manred for the sweet avy.
    My SSBB code is 5284-1090-0218 name is DYXAN, please message me if I am ever added

Member #
    Friends
    lol sony forfeits battle. *go salutes wii*. as fox says "mission complete"

Member #
    Friends
    8244-2285-2713-6668
    I don't think he was complimenting the Wii. He said it's bad for third party developers because their consumer is at 40% (of Wii owners) since Big N developes strong first party games.
    But not slick enough Harrison, they all know Wii owner crave third party : )

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Douten
    I don't think he was complimenting the Wii. He said it's bad for third party developers because their consumer is at 40% (of Wii owners) since Big N developes strong first party games.
    But not slick enough Harrison, they all know Wii owner crave third party : )
    No, that's not entirely true. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't crave third party. I bought my Wii for first party; that's it. Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing Wii, Pikmin 3, F-Zero, Starfox, Chibi-Robo, Ect.

Now, that's not to say I won't pick up No More Heroes, but for the most part, I'm estimating that at least 25% of all Wii owners are only going to end up buying 1st party titles.

Member #
    Friends
    3156-1824-0023-3057
    yes but 40% is the biggest amount of all the 360/ps3 owners when you think of it.
    36, at around 35%, and ps3 about 25%
    and no, i'm not bashin on the ps3, i'm just saying less people own one so yeah.

Spoiler Alert!

Thanks manred for the sweet avy.
    My SSBB code is 5284-1090-0218 name is DYXAN, please message me if I am ever added

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Nookslave
    No, that's not entirely true. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't crave third party. I bought my Wii for first party; that's it. Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing Wii, Pikmin 3, F-Zero, Starfox, Chibi-Robo, Ect.

Now, that's not to say I won't pick up No More Heroes, but for the most part, I'm estimating that at least 25% of all Wii owners are only going to end up buying 1st party titles.
    So your not going to play res evil, zaki and Wiki, okami,FF:CC, Come on man what about the VC games! I'm sorry but most people are not like you ... *looks at PS2 install base* Yeah these guys got a PS2 because of all the 3rd party games and when these guy show up on the Wii then 3rd parties will make more money. Also too the PS2 won last gen due to 3rd parties so no matter what the platform if the 3rd parties do show up they can easily out do nintendo collectively and still release games on the HD systems.

So basically even at 50% sales you have roughly what the PS3 has install base wise. Really though production cost wise i'm sure 3rd parties are looking at this guy like please man haven't we wasted enough money on this system. Blue ray is actually taking away from game sales on this box. A 3rd party can compete with a nintendo game for the hardcore and win but movies are way cooler in every way most of the time.

So you may not crave 3rd parties but I'm sure others do.

Member #
    Friends
    Harrison isn't intending to compliment Nintendo but rather hurt the Wii by trying to persuade an EA bigwig (I'm assuming) into believing that the Wii isn't a good console for 3rd party games. Yes Nintendo's games sell very well but Harrison's full of crap and I'm glad Young didn't agree and basically gave the middle finger.
    Now playing: Phoenix Wright, Picross
    Wishlist: No More Heroes, SSBB, Disaster: DOC, Fire Emblem DS, Tales of Symphonia 2
    UGa football (11-2): Sugar Bowl Champs

Member #
    Friends
    8244-2285-2713-6668
    Quote Originally Posted by Nookslave

Maybe I wasn't explaining it right. What Harrison was saying is that 60% of Wii owner is going to get first/second party only which leaves 40% left for third party. Like the above post he's trying to persuade EA to stray away from developing for Wii.
    I don't know if he is right or not, though I doubt it. The reason why there's such number (the percents) is only because there's not enough third party line up, imo. It's way too early into Wii's lifespan to be spitting out numbers like this and trying to persuade, dumb imo too w
    Last edited by Douten; 02-22-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Id much rather see 5 very good actual games from third party devs, than 50 shitty mini game games like smarty pants.

I think Ninty need to be a bit more strict with what kind of crap they allow devs to put on the Wii, since a bad third party game (which comes along every week) also makes Nintendo look bad.
    MOH:H2 = Killer12345
    Add me .
    www.theplanetx.com

Ads