LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3099-0319-5478-2979

Is Nintendo Right to Exclude Voice Chat?

Yes, you are reading the title right. Nintendo has confirmed that while in online races on Mario Kart Wii, you will be unable to talk to your friends and opponents via text or voice. This will surely come as a blow to Nintendo fans, who wanted to play with their friends online in what the Xbox 360 does automatically and PS3 doing now. Many have criticized Nintendo for their lack of online options to socialize among friends while online, and this surely isnít going to help that image.

Itís not all doom and gloom though, as Nintendo Europe did have this to say: "You can create rooms for friends to join and even text chat while youíre waiting for other racers." You may be thinking ďWell thatís not that bad,Ē but like with everything, there is a catch. According to a rep for Nintendo America, gamers will only be able to select from a pre-determined number of phrases. This is going to make it even harder to have a proper conversation with your friends.

Ok, we now know this information, but letís flip the coin and ask ďDo we need voice chat in racing?Ē Letís look at such games as PGR 4 and Forza 2. In both games, you are able to speak in the lobby and chat while racing though; however, if youíre taking the game seriously, I suppose you might not want to lose concentration and start talking to people while youíre trying to race. Then you could get the odd online idiots that want to spoil it for everybody and use crude, racist words against people that spoil your online experience. With this being Mario Kart Wii, we can presume that there be young kids playing and for them to be hearing this language at their age would be wrong. You can say Nintendo is putting parents concerns at ease with this move. Unlike the Xbox 360 and PS3 at the moment, the Wii is generally aimed at younger people so online safety is a bigger issue.
    Source

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    The article makes sense, yet there is a big deal of irony in this. It is true that there will be alot of young kids on Mario Kart. But most of the people who use racist remarks or talk trash to the point that its past the point of funny or competitive to rude and insulting are? Yes thats right... Kids... Depending on what age a kid is to you, for me they are around the ages of 11-16. They are the biggets population of people who are the most annoying on online chat. Ive also heard even younger kids around 8 years old talking smack and yelling the N word.

But, still Nintendo could do some kind of system where younger kids cannot talk nor can they hear chat or simply give it some kind of parental controls that can be monitored.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    6089-6603-3065-9651
    yeah i really agree with T3kNi9e, they can figure out a way to limit what small kids can do with the headet and whatnot

Member #
    Friends
    9999-9999-9999-9999
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbomb3
    yeah i really agree with T3kNi9e, they can figure out a way to limit what small kids can do with the headet and whatnot
    abstinence is the only form of protection that is 100% effective

click logo to join the...
    rainbows & unicorns clan!

Member #
    Friends
    I think that people should just play the game and not get mad at nintendo for not putting in a voice chat. Sure it's fun to trash talk and whatnot but its not really something you need to play and have fun. people should stop getting mad at nintendo for not putting voice chat. it'll com. just be patient. I'm guessing that by the time the next mario kart comes out after this new one will most likely have voice chat along with many other good games. Right now nintendo is just trying to make some good games that people can enjoy so people keep buying. Think about it. They dont put voice chat on this mario kart but everyone is still going to buy it, and later on in the future when they finally come out with voice chat many other people will buy games also.

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah sreiously, everyone is making Waaaaaay too big a deal about this voice-chat thing.
    It has NEVER been a part of what makes gaming fun for me, therefore I won't miss it, and it's really just not that big a deal!
    Would it REALLY make it that much more fun for you to have people blabbing in your ear the whole time you're trying to race, or do whatever else? No!
    It wouldn't. I can't believe how worked up people get over this unimportant stuff. The bigger isses are Nintendo delaying games purposefully to maximize their profits $$$. That $#!T really pisses me off.
    WWW.WEARETHEKEY.NET
    WEARETHEKEY.FREEFORUMS.ORG

Come join and help the world Evolve!

BRAWL CODE - 3265-4747-0770
    Wii Console - 2504-6852-5346-7730

Member #
    Friends
    2576-9848-2040-2882
    if its that big a deal of not letting kids hear cuss-words, why not put an update in parental controls sayinghe cant hear talk and mute voice chat for him? if parents are that controlling then let them block it for the kids. but, as far as i know, most kids, whether at school or through parents, already know that stuff
    <insert hilarious signature here>

Member #
    Friends
    7990-7908-6210-2287
    Doesn't every Wi-fi game say that game experience may change during online play? Which could also be referring to the rating.

Even if people do use harsh language they could make it so that you can only use voice chat with friends. For example they could have you be able to use Voice Chat in friend battles in Brawl and in random battles they let you use short messages. Not the best type of Voice Chat system but better than nothing.
    I'm also known as MasterTenkaichi(IGN), RSSJBroly(Youtube/Atari boards), and KaitenMaster(ShiShi-Rendan).
    Brawl FC: 3566 1201 9777 .

Is mayo an instrument? Axl Rose's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    No! simply

LISTEN TO

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    It's a tough call because Nitendo is trying to make everyone happy in this decision....

They know we will like voice chat but if its limited to only our Wii friends we wont be happy, because honestly you will be tracking down more people to make them your friends then you are playing, if all we use is the friends code. Thats to much of an easy out for Nintendo to do it that way and call it finished, and I think they know that..

Now you have the younger children, although they have parental controls some parents might not bother setting them or know how to in the first place, children these days are usually more tech suave then there parents, alot of them could even get around it if they wanted to.

Hmm so what to do. You can't just keep saying the old phrase "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" and think it will fly with parents when on an E-rated game there child gets sworn at online. Thats a big NO , and Nintendo knows it. The same attitude would go for the majority of causal gamers that don't know what the online chat is like ahead of time they will be disgusted by it.

I personally find there to be an easy fix to please all parties.

Every game EC,E,E10+ Should offer Voice Chat ONLY with friends code so parents can see who there children are listening too, if it gets too outta hand they can even track the bastard down... ha ha

Now games T,M,AO you have free range voice chat available to anyone! No friends code needed here it's built right in. Then any complaint from a parent that the children may have experienced something to graphic with Nitnendo's online chat is eaisly pushed aside by saying, you let your children play a game that was rated for a more mature audience, it is your own consequence not ours that they came across something included in that rating category.

Easy argument makes everyone happy in the end! And no one has an excuse to be mad at anyone else.
    Last edited by wezeles; 02-29-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Ads