Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

10 Potential Sleeper Hits for the Wii

Here's a list of some Wii games that you might want to keep an eye on. They may not be high profile releases, but they do show a lot of promise and have the potential to be sleeper hits. The pleasure of owning hidden gems offers unique satisfaction to true gamers.

De Blob
    Developer: Blue Tongue/Banana Games
    Publisher: THQ

One of a triumvirate of THQ games on this list, De Blob is probably the most promising. It started life as a free downloadable P.C. game created by 9 students studying at Utrecht University. It impressed THQ so much that they picked up the game and decided to turn it into a fully fledged Wii release. The core of the game centers around using the main character to turn a drab gray city-scape into a vibrant, psychedelic version of itself.

Blast Works: Build, Fuse and Destroy
    Developer: Budcat Creations
    Publisher: Majesco

On the surface Blast Works looks like a 2D Gradius style shooter, but delve a little deeper and it's the game's level/object editor that is really its defining feature. Previews suggest the editing tools are both flexible and relatively sophisticated, with the Wii pointer being put to great use. Users will be able to design, save and share their levels with other gamers, setting the stage for a dedicated online community.

Boom Blox
    Developer: EA Los Angeles
    Publisher: EA

When Steven Spielberg first announced he was involved in making a Wii game, most gamers assumed the result would be a cinematic masterpiece. When a physics based block puzzler was subsequently revealed the disappointment was palpable. Boom Blox has since come on leaps and bounds, and has led to some proclaiming that its design and execution is Miyamoto-like. It also includes a level editor that allows users to generate their own content. If the game can live up to the industry buzz it has created, then EA will surely have a hit on their hands.

Deadly Creatures
    Developer: Rainbow Studios

Further evidence of THQ's increasing faith in the Wii is their recently announced title Deadly Creatures. Billed as an action/thriller, the game has you playing as realistic looking creepy-crawlies exploring a desert wasteland. The game clearly has a relatively large budget as the screens bugs that have been rendered with unnerving realism. Let's hope the press release stating the developer's intentions to push the hardware was more than marketing hype.

Battle of the Bands
    Developer: Planet Moon Studios

It would be easy to dismiss this title as a an uninspired Boogie/Guitar Hero clone, but anyone who has had real hands-on time playing the title has come away impressed. While Boogie suffered because of its shallow and unstructured gameplay, Battle of the Bands takes its mechanics and bolts them onto a real game. The music announced so far also looks promising; this has the potential to appeal to Hardcore and Casual gamers alike.

Major Minor's Majestic March
    Developer: NanaOn-Sh
    Publisher: Majesco

From the makers of PaRappa the Rapper, Major Minor's Majestic March is sure to be a rhythm action game like no other. If Masaya Matsuura can imbue his Wii title with the personality and charm as he has his previous work, and also make good use of the Wii controllers, then this game has cult hit written all over it.

Monster Lab
    Developer: Backbone Entertainment
    Publisher: Eidos Interactive

Apparently in development for almost 2 years, Monster Lab appears to be truly unique; a turn based fighter with a huge focus on monster creation/customization. The game's visuals are also distinctive with heavy use of rim-lighting and bloom. Being able to fight online is also planned. The recent showing of the game at GDC confirmed that the game has a lot of potential.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
    Developer: Vanillaware
    Publisher: Marvelous Entertainment

As very little is known about the game at this point, this title's appeal largely stems from Vanillaware's heritage of excellence. Billed as a 2D action RPG, the game is sure to feature a lush, beautifully stylized look much like Odin Sphere, and a control scheme that has been tailored for casual and hardcore gamers.

Mushroom Men
    Developer: Red Fly Studios
    Publisher: Gamecock

Essentially a platformer, Mushroom Men places you in control of a diminutive fungi hero exploring the world from a 3-inch vantage point. The game's weapons are cobbled together every-day objects such as staple removers and paper clips; characters also have distinct abilities based on their designs. If the developer's execution matches their imagination, Mushroom Men could be worth keeping an eye on.

Rygar:The Battle of Argus
    Developer: Tecmo
    Publisher: Tecmo

Rygar's appeal has fluctuated wildly since it was announced for the Wii. At first it was thought to be a genuine sequel to the excellent action/adventure on the PS2: Hype+1. It then came to light that the title was actually a port of the original with new controls and a new mode: Hype -1. The game has subsequently been delayed, and the signs are that the project's ambition has been increasing, with graphical upgrades and new character designs being announced. It seems that the Wii's popularity has lead Tecmo to invest some genuine effort on the title.
    nice list. linkage

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

Member #
    Friends
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    battle of the bands sounds like it might be good
    mushroom men sounds like a flip-flopped mario...where the mushroom is the hero; who wants to play as a mushroom?!?
    Last edited by ROB64; 03-03-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    I think the list sucks :/
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    2186-4201-2378-7021
    This list sucks! It doesn't even have We Ski on it. Seriously, I'm just as hyped for We Ski as I am for Mario Kart, and that's pretty hyped. It looks like it's going to be pretty realistic, and the graphics are pretty good IMO. I just think that skiing down the mountains with a few friends in the summer is going to be completely insane.
    GHIII FC: 030179739982
    GH:WT FC: 287929069537
    Mario Kart Wii FC: 5026-4819-3672
    The Conduit FC: 0130-9566-5950

Member #
    Friends
    Is this what we can expect in 2008? Seriously this is a poor show!
    Come on Nintendo Step it up a gear and bring us some quality!

The only games i'm looking forward to are

No More Heroes
    Smash Bros Brawl ( possibly )

I am picking up a PS3 for FF13, GTA4, Soul Caliber 4, COD4, Drakes Fortune, Resi Evil 5!!!!!!!!

I really do hope that Ninty step it up a gear and give us adults some decent games!

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    oh i are sorry on nintendos behalf that the list doesnt consist of awesome games like halo, cod, mass effect, haze and every other fps out there

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vashivihan
    oh i are sorry on nintendos behalf that the list doesnt consist of awesome games like halo, cod, mass effect, haze and every other fps out there
    that was sarcasm right?
    ya know, if u wanted games such as call of duty 4, mass effect, and halo, just go get a 360.me unlike other people like games in all,(such as loztp and cod4) so i got 360 and wii. wii for games as ive said above, and 360 for cod4 and mass effect(and others)

seriously, ssbb, mario kart, wiifit, no more heroes, final fantasy, wii ski, and a lot others should be enough for a year. seriously, some of yall think that every game is surronded on what yall like READ THE BOLD AGAIN AND UNDERSTAND!

Member #
    Friends
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    Quote Originally Posted by KHgamer
    that was sarcasm right?
    ya know, if u wanted games such as call of duty 4, mass effect, and halo, just go get a 360.me unlike other people like games in all,(such as loztp and cod4) so i got 360 and wii. wii for games as ive said above, and 360 for cod4 and mass effect(and others)

seriously, ssbb, mario kart, wiifit, no more heroes, final fantasy, wii ski, and a lot others should be enough for a year. seriously, some of yall think that every game is surronded on what yall like READ THE BOLD AGAIN AND UNDERSTAND!
    yes i was being sarcastic. yeah u dont get everything in your life that u want. get a 360 or ps3. wii does have good games whether u people like it or not.

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk
    Is this what we can expect in 2008? Seriously this is a poor show!
    Come on Nintendo Step it up a gear and bring us some quality!

The only games i'm looking forward to are

No More Heroes
    Smash Bros Brawl ( possibly )

I am picking up a PS3 for FF13, GTA4, Soul Caliber 4, COD4, Drakes Fortune, Resi Evil 5!!!!!!!!

I really do hope that Ninty step it up a gear and give us adults some decent games!
    Well, the list didn't have any games made by Nintendo, so I don't see why your really getting mad at them.

As for the list itself, nothing there that interests me.
    I do hope others find it interesting, for the sake of some games getting good sales.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Confiscation of the Mind iOwnage's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8957-2822-1883-9918
    Quote Originally Posted by pYRo
    This list sucks! It doesn't even have We Ski on it. Seriously, I'm just as hyped for We Ski as I am for Mario Kart, and that's pretty hyped. It looks like it's going to be pretty realistic, and the graphics are pretty good IMO. I just think that skiing down the mountains with a few friends in the summer is going to be completely insane.
    Yea. We Ski does look pretty cool, I just hope that they put good use to the Wii balance board and don't screw it up.

Rygar: Battle for Argus looks promising. I'll be watching that one.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ads