1) Starcraft was originally going to be a Star Wars title, but the Lucas camp rejected the idea. So the Blizz just had to rip off draw inspiration from some other source.
2) Turns out Namco Bandai is quite fond of my taxonomic abilities. Deft folks in marketing, I shall help you with naming the inevitable localization of Namco Carnival, so here's a few suggestions: We Party, Let's Play, Let's Party, or Amy Winehouse Trades Crack for Acid and Designs a Video Game.
3) Coming this holiday season is Raving Rabbids 3, presumably with less Pikachu clouds and seemingly less Rayman is in the title.
4) The Digipen alumni at NST's current Wii title is an action game apparently featuring many lasers that is shaping up to be better than Project H.A.M.M.E.R., fairly original too.
5) In case you are wondering why Treyarch's Call of Duty 5 is an historical shooter, it started production following the completion of Call of Duty 3 (which Activision assured Infinity Ward would not be called Call of Duty 3 and would be a spin-off rather than an entry in the main series because they respected the work of Infinity Ward so much) when Call of Duty 4 was still a year from completion and not too many at Activision were confident that this modern warfare thing was going to be successful. Yes, unlike the nine month cycle for both Call of Duty 2: Big Red One and Call of Duty 3, the development of Call of Duty 5 is about two years long, so expect this to be far better their previous attempts.