Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    That is good to know

It bugged the heck outa me in Tenchu Z
    Only one level have I not got the best rank (the pursuit level)
    Where as I liked to go more or less right to my target only killing the ones that get in my way

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for the responses. One more question before I go out and buy it:

Reviews have said there are 50+ small side quests missions and 10 small tutorial levels. About how much play time is there in one of the small side quests missions? Are they just a few minutes long or more? And what do you do in a side quest mission?

Member #
    Friends
    I just got the game today. I'll play later tonight and post some impressions.

Member #
    Friends
    Alright I'm towards the end of Stage 2, here's my impressions:

Pros:

-Graphics. Enviorments look great and are rich with detail. Cutscenes look good. Animations are pretty fluid. Only problem I've experinced with graphics are some collision issues, such as taking an enemy down near a wall, you may see him go through the wall some.

-Gameplay mechanics. Tenchu has all of the making of a great game control wise. Gameplay is deep and there is a varitey of ways to make your kills, and you'll have to do a vareity of things to reach your destination, from going up into attics, perching yourself in corners, hiding in bushes, crawling under benches, hiding in buckets, dousing flames, hopping from rafter to rafter and making your kill from above, standing in the shadows or more. The game is at its best when your waiting for a guard to get to a certain point in his patrol pattern so you can jump out and kill him or pull him in a bush and kill him with his own sword. There are some problems with the gameplay and I'll put them in the con section. Mind's eye is very useful and cool. Kill moves are fun, but can get repetitive.

-Sound. The one truly exceptional thing in the game is the sound. There are no Japanese VO for the very hardcore Tenchu fan, but the voice acting is well done nontheless and the music is awesome. Sound effects are pretty good too.

-Save System. The game can be saved usually 3-5 times per stage. This spaces out the the saves nicely without having to play an hour at a time. Save spots are apropriately placed when you enter a new envioroment. The game on its normal settings, also has a forgiving discovered system. You simply go back to the last save spot whether you saved there or not and all of the progress you have already made is saved. This can be changed to make it harder.

-Linear, but not too linear. There will be more than one way to get through enviorments sometimes. You'll also have to choose who to sneak bye and who you need to kill. Sometimes, just trying to kill everyone, or even kill the fewest people possible can be rewarding goals.

Cons:

-Swordplay. The sword combat is not only very hard, but sometimes irresposive. Right now I have not won a single sword match yet and I've tried a good 15 times. Most of the time I struggle to get past the enemies first barrage of attacks. Right now I'm avoiding sword play right now by using just purely stealth and if I'm discovered, since I don't carry a sword, I just start over at the beginning of the area. I pray there isn't a part of the game you have to get past using sword combat.

-Realism. Sometimes you'll be able to hide where, well, you shouldn't really be hidden. Sometimes, you can hide up against random walls, while other times you can't. (luckily the "Mind's Eye" feature tells you which walls) This defintley makes the game lean more towards a puzzle and less towards real life stealth. I have had some problems of being disocovered despite being hidden in the shadows. Also, the guy ninja is a bit sluggish.

-Game Design. It's not really the level design that's bad, as it is that the game can be very tedious and very trial and error oriented on your first run through. Each stage will probably take you well over an hour on your first run thorugh but your 2nd run through will probably take you half that. Your going to get discovered, whether it's really your fault or not. Kind of plays into realism.

Overall:

Tenchu is a fun game. There is lots adrenaline going when you're near a guard and waiting for him to pass. The Wii-mote even vibrates to simulate a heartbeat in these situtations. Gameplay is generally fun. The game can get frustrating and at times will seem like a video game and not like realistic stelath.

I do reccomend the game for players looking for a mature stealth title. Even players not into stelath, the game is still worth a rent or waiting for the price to come down.

I'm not very far into the game yet but if I had to score it now I'd give it between a 7.5 and 8.0.
    Last edited by ResEvilWii; 02-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    From what I hear/read latter in the game there are bossies
    So youd better get used to that sword combat

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny View Post
    From what I hear/read latter in the game there are bossies
    So youd better get used to that sword combat
    Yes there are a few bosses that you do have to fight. The first couple were quite easy but I seem to be stuck on the stage 9 one.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by raisinghelen View Post
    Yes there are a few bosses that you do have to fight. The first couple were quite easy but I seem to be stuck on the stage 9 one.
    That sucks. Are you good at the sword fighting?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ResEvilWii View Post
    That sucks. Are you good at the sword fighting?
    So so, I have reasonably fast reactions so that helps. I can beat most of the normal opponents (like when you are discovered and holding a sword) and I beat the first couple of 'boss' fights easy enough but the one I'm on now seems to kill me whether I think I'm blocking his attacks or not. Chances are the next time I play I'll beat him first time though, as I seem to do that a lot.

I think that the sword system is better than Red Steel's, but it's clearly something that could be done a whole lot better with motion plus when it arrives.

Member #
    Friends
    I'm considering trading it in for MadWorld or Dead Rising when those come out. It's not that I'm not enjoying the game, but I'm not loving it either. A video game purchase (especially a $50 one) is pretty major for me and I better just love the game if I'm going to pay $50 for it.

How much do you guys think I could get for it at Gamestop? According to their website they're selling it used for $44.99, so could I get $25-$30 for it since its still very new? Also, would I get any less for it if I say only gave them the disc and manual and not the box?
    Last edited by ResEvilWii; 02-16-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ResEvilWii View Post
    How much do you guys think I could get for it at Gamestop? According to their website they're selling it used for $44.99, so could I get $25-$30 for it since its still very new? Also, would I get any less for it if I say only gave them the disc and manual and not the box?
    I don't know much about Gamestop but EBGames pays around $25-$30 for new releases. They would probably give you less if you didn't have the box though.

I completed the story mode today (actually beat the guy I was stuck on quite easily). I think it took me around 15 hours, which is good as I should have that much again in replaying time. There are a lot of levels that I only got B's on (and a couple of D's) so I'll play through them all till I have S's (only have 3 so far). I've still got all of the assignments to do too and still have to find some pieces of the map. Not even touched shadow mode yet either.

I've loved Tenchu so far, it's probably the most enjoyable game that I've played for quite a while. It is an aquired taste though, as it's the kind of game where the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

Ads