LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21
    Strikers Champ NorAxeR's Avatar
    Member #
    31812
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    68
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto View Post
    3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements
    Survival Horror game with 3rd Person shooter elements

    They are 2 different things.

    A 3rd person shooter with survival horror elements means that the shooter comes first, and the survival horror is the after-add.

    A survival horror with 3rd person shooter means the opposite.

    It's like saying a RPG with puzzler elements is the same as a puzzler with RPG elements, then look at, say, Zelda and Puzzle Quest respectively.
    Example:
    Condemned 2: Bloodshot is a Survival Horror game with shooting elements.
    Condemned 2 however has many different gameplay elements, but it's always Survival Horror.
    Only in later levels do you actually use guns, and ammo is rare / far in between.

    Dead Space is a 3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements.
    One may say the game isn't even scary; while one couldn't deny the fact that you're always defending yourself with a gun.
    I explained how Dead Space is fittingly a 3rd Person Shooter the entire game.

    You and I disagree on which description is more dominate..
    I provided a link to IGN simply calling it a '3rd Person Action / Adventure'
    The whole argument is irrelevant because Dead Space is a 3rd Person shooter
    in a Survival Horror setting. So it's both, just like Resident Evil 4.
    The Mode of Gameplay is definitely 3rd Person shooter, while the genre could easily be '3rd Person shooter' or 'Survival Horror'.. That's why IGN's description is perfect.
    Last edited by NorAxeR; 02-18-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    CURRENT GAMES
    Target Terror + Medal of Honor 2: Heroes + Super Mario Galaxy ~
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition + Mario Kart Wii + Red Steel + Counter Force ~
    Monster 4x4 World Circuit + Battle Rage + Obscure The Aftermath + Manhunt 2 ~

    ( PM to add me on any Wi-Fi games )


  2. Ads


  3. #22
    A li'l bit different Squall7's Avatar
    Member #
    89
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,743
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by NorAxeR View Post
    Well you're 2/3rds correct.
    Resident Evil: UC is partially an 'On Rails Shooter' - as Dead Space is mostly a '3rd-Person Shooter'
    Which is what I was pointing out..

    Also you're right, I successfully corrected the individual.
    However, you quoted me incorrectly..
    This is really what I said:
    -
    You've gotta be kidding me

    What do you think Resident Evil 4 is? It's the same idea as Dead Space..
    It doesn't matter how you word it
    3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements
    Survival Horror game with 3rd Person shooter elements
    It's both

    It's a '3rd Person Action / Adventure'
    http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/850/850402.html

    How do you defend yourself in both games?
    Guns
    Where's the camera?
    Over the shoulder - Which is a 3rd person perspective

    Dead Space is a 3rd Person Shooter.

    Dead Space has an achievement for beating the entire game with the default gun. Dead Space has multiple achievements for getting so many kills with each specific gun in the game.

    -

    That's not being an ass though, this is:



    Overall, you had a fairly accurate post tho.
    When editing posts, always remember: what people have said prior to editing the post still stands.

    The term Moron was in brackets next to quite a few of your sentences.
    The mods would have to see something rule-breaking (or at least bending) for a post like that to be deleted, hence why you needed to correct me through creating another post, rather than editing the post before.

    If you look at the very bottom of my original post, it says "edited by Syntax", meaning it was edited due to your post being deleted.

    Oh, and not that you would believe me, but I used the quotation button for quoting you, and I didn't edit any of your writing. I did not misquote you in any way.


    All that is besides the point, however. Considering about a week ago (can't remember the exact day or time it was first announced), we didn't even know it was coming to the Wii, I don't think people should be that disappointed.

    At best, it'll be a game that will be a good game. At worst, it'll be just another game sitting on the shelf.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorAxeR View Post
    Example:
    Condemned 2: Bloodshot is a Survival Horror game with shooting elements.
    Condemned 2 however has many different gameplay elements, but it's always Survival Horror. Only in later levels do you actually use guns, and ammo is rare / far in between.

    Dead Space is a 3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements.
    One may say the game isn't even scary; while one couldn't deny the fact that you're always defending yourself with a gun.
    I explained how Dead Space is fittingly a 3rd Person Shooter the entire game.
    By that logic, Bioshock would be a Steampunk game with 1st Person Shooter elements, since not all of the game is FPS, but also a puzzle game (hacking mini-game), but it's always in a Steampunk theme...

    Lets see what IGN says about it: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793105.html
    Genre: First-Person Shooter
    I think FPS and TPS are just used because it's seen as a type of game that sells. Especially with genre's influencing each other, such as Resident Evil 4's minor RPG elements (upgrading weaponry), it can be hard discerning how we should categorise games: Genre or mode of play. Mode of play is easy, but doesn't tell us everything, while genre is generally a universal throughout the game. I know which I'd categorise by...

    Sorry if I seem aggressive, I simply don't like people editing what has come before in an effort to try to prove me wrong in some way about what they previously said. If you're right, you shouldn't need to do that. If you're wrong, then at least have the balls to admit it, apologise and move on.
    Last edited by Squall7; 02-18-2009 at 05:09 PM.


    Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.


  4. #23
    I am Casual Caliko's Avatar
    Member #
    47263
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    433
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    Quote Originally Posted by ResEvilWii View Post
    WHAT?!?!?! You all are complaing that we're getting a ground-up Wii exclusive? You would rather have a port becasue it has better graphics? No. Resdient Evil 4 graphics > Dead Rising Wii graphics. You can't just port over graphics from a superior system to a inferior system. It doesn't work that way. It's more complex than that. Exclusive from the ground up is way better.

    Plus we get co-op!!

    The only disappointment I see is the "guided and cinematic camera" even though they say "Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter".
    The former we're not complaining about. I was indeed hoping for a unique story.

    See the bolded part I quoted?? Yeah exactly, that's what we're all(and apparently you too) are disappointed about.
    In 2007 I predicted Wii Fit would sell more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

    EVERYONE at wiichat.com disagreed with me.

    As it stands today:

    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.49 Million

    Wii Fit: 35 Million

  5. #24
    WiiChat Member Big_League_Slugger's Avatar
    Member #
    971
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Binghamton, NY but Florida at heart
    Posts
    773
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0638-7157-7489-3737
    If the visuals look like the images then I will be have a whole new level of respect for the Wii. Hopefully, EA will be able to make this title as good as its counter parts.

    The Co-op intrigues me. Please be online co-op


    PSN: Lou-igi
    Gametag:G8torNation

  6. #25
    Strikers Champ NorAxeR's Avatar
    Member #
    31812
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    68
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7 View Post
    Bioshock would be a Steampunk game with 1st Person Shooter elements, since not all of the game is FPS, but also a puzzle game (hacking mini-game), but it's always in a Steampunk theme...
    Lets see what IGN says about it: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793105.html
    Now Bioshock's a puzzle game? Is Perfect Dark Zero a puzzle game because of her lock-pick / demolition "Mini Games" LOL

    You're right though, Bioshock definitely isn't a FPS and IGN knows that - I don't think anyone would say it is. There are way too many methods of defense, and you're dealing with a lot of Survival Horror elements without having a gun.

    That was just kind of a random, irrelevant example as that backs up my idea that Condemned 2 also falls into a vague category.
    While Dead Space doesn't, because it's undeniably a 3rd Person Shooter.
    I'm not gonna reiterate my explanation for that.

    I didn't edit my post - You already know what happened with that..
    I have no idea how you and I started this back and forth stuff
    but I'm done with it

    -

    My Final Note:
    The fact that Dead Space: Extraction will have online Co-Op sets it apart from other games in the genre. Since it's keeping the dismemberment concept, I think it'll be pretty good. Having a slightly cheaper price tag on the Wii then it did when it came out for the 360, will also make it appealing to more people. The over the shoulder shooter concept may of been a bit stale for hardcore gamers, while this new breath of fresh air may turn out to be awesome.

    If Dead Space wasn't considered an in-depth shooter throughout the entire original game, they couldn't of made it into an 'On The Rails' shooter.
    CURRENT GAMES
    Target Terror + Medal of Honor 2: Heroes + Super Mario Galaxy ~
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition + Mario Kart Wii + Red Steel + Counter Force ~
    Monster 4x4 World Circuit + Battle Rage + Obscure The Aftermath + Manhunt 2 ~

    ( PM to add me on any Wi-Fi games )


  7. #26
    Sonic expert Bodine's Avatar
    Member #
    55520
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,261
    Friends
    32
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    I just read to the part where it said it'll be a rail shooter and quit. It was sounding good till then.

  8. #27
    A li'l bit different Squall7's Avatar
    Member #
    89
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,743
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by NorAxeR View Post
    Now Bioshock's a puzzle game? Is Perfect Dark Zero a puzzle game because of her lock-pick / demolition "Mini Games" LOL
    That's the logic you were using. A game being described by what it uses most. I was also saying that it can be considered to not be completely a FPS since it has puzzle elements.

    You're right though, Bioshock definitely isn't a FPS and IGN knows that - I don't think anyone would say it is. There are way too many methods of defense, and you're dealing with a lot of Survival Horror elements without having a gun.

    That was just kind of a random, irrelevant example as that backs up my idea that Condemned 2 also falls into a vague category.
    While Dead Space doesn't, because it's undeniably a 3rd Person Shooter.
    I'm not gonna reiterate my explanation for that.
    Nobody is asking you to reiterate. All we're asking is that you consider the semantics of categorising FPS/Survival Horror etc... null and void, since in the end, genres and mode of play are generally mixing and organic.

    I didn't edit my post - You already know what happened with that..
    I have no idea how you and I started this back and forth stuff
    but I'm done with it
    Fair enough.

    -

    My Final Note:
    The fact that Dead Space: Extraction will have online Co-Op sets it apart from other games in the genre.
    I still see RE:UC as a survival horror, so I think it's fair to say it'll be in a similar vein to that. Although there will be obvious differences. Survival Horror in terms of genre. On-Rails Shooter in mode of play...

    Since it's keeping the dismemberment concept, I think it'll be pretty good. Having a slightly cheaper price tag on the Wii then it did when it came out for the 360, will also make it appealing to more people. The over the shoulder shooter concept may of been a bit stale for hardcore gamers, while this new breath of fresh air may turn out to be awesome.
    *crosses fingers*

    If Dead Space wasn't considered an in-depth shooter throughout the entire original game, they couldn't of made it into an 'On The Rails' shooter.
    I think you could probably make an 'on-rails shooter' out of anything (well, anything which you can shoot or throw projectiles on). The problem wouldn't be the format, it would be 'would it appeal and will it sell'? I mean, look at Link's Crossbow Training...


    Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.


  9. #28
    I am Casual Caliko's Avatar
    Member #
    47263
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    433
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodine View Post
    I just read to the part where it said it'll be a rail shooter and quit. It was sounding good till then.
    Haha sorry bro but that was my intention...
    In 2007 I predicted Wii Fit would sell more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

    EVERYONE at wiichat.com disagreed with me.

    As it stands today:

    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.49 Million

    Wii Fit: 35 Million

  10. #29
    I am Casual Caliko's Avatar
    Member #
    47263
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    433
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7 View Post
    While I was expecting (and looking forward to) a new third person adventure.

    I'm not really disappointed that it's an on-rails shooter. I loved RE:UC and House of the Dead Overkill.

    Hopefully it won't become a trend though. I feel the Wii would do well in third person shooters, as Resi Evil 4 has proved, and I don't want my gaming sessions to be hampered with lack of a Wii controller.
    *sarcasm*This just announced!! Street Fighter IV is coming to the Wii!!! It's gonna be an on-rails fighter where you shake the Wiimote to punch and shake the nunchuck to kick!!! Watch ouT!! Here comes Ryu shake the Wiimote!! SHAKE THE WIIIMOTE!!! *sarcasm*
    In 2007 I predicted Wii Fit would sell more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

    EVERYONE at wiichat.com disagreed with me.

    As it stands today:

    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.49 Million

    Wii Fit: 35 Million

  11. #30
    A li'l bit different Squall7's Avatar
    Member #
    89
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,743
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliko View Post
    *sarcasm*This just announced!! Street Fighter IV is coming to the Wii!!! It's gonna be an on-rails fighter where you shake the Wiimote to punch and shake the nunchuck to kick!!! Watch ouT!! Here comes Ryu shake the Wiimote!! SHAKE THE WIIIMOTE!!! *sarcasm*
    You do realise I was talking about Third Person Shooters right? Not all games...

    Oh, and for the record, it's [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]. "*word*" denotes an action, not a way of saying things. For example, *facepalm*.


    Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

dead space

,

how do you play with multiple playersr in dead space for wii

,

wii dead space

,

wii u graphics disappointing

Click on a term to search for related topics.