LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bland steel

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    It just takes time to get used to, once you master the controls... the game is incredible! No need to argue the truth, right? If you think it's slow, that's your opinion... and at times, I agree with that. But if you run through a level and are getting everyone down in no time, it's probably too basic of a title for you. Launch titles are never the best... and if I'm really impressed with this one, I'm sure to love whatever is to come next.
    WiiSports (obviously) / Redsteel / Excite Truck / TC:SO / Rayman RR / Wii Play / Sonic and the Secret Rings / Mad Catz Skinz

Member #
    Friends

its not bad at all.

this game is a, example!!! you do need to give it time for the controls, but thats why redsteel is here, to understand and become accustom to the wiimote!
    agreed, the cutscenes and acting do blow, thought sometimes the women talking made me laugh, thier accent was so over the top. it started slow for me, but now im playing it flawlessly. and you CAN'T stack it up against other console games for controls. weapons, new fighting ideas, hell, even plotlines can be stacked up against other consoles. but halo vs redsteel for controls... come on people its 2 different styles..... dont compare controller styles!!!
    Last edited by NateTheGreat; 11-23-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    Mii #- 5665-2969-2576-9614
    AIM-nametilf
    email- nametilf@gmail.com
    add me to your friends list, and just make sure i knwo you added me, to add you back

Member #
    Friends
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    I have to both disagree and agree with you, nametilf. While I don't think it's a horrible game (oh and yes, I have played it through multiple levels; it's in my Wii right now) it isn't worth more than a long rental in my opinion. I think the opening of doors, reloading, knocking over tables and throwing/rolling grenades were well done, but the meat of Red Steel, the aiming and sword fighting are sorely lacking. Both are best described as wonky and sorry, but I still really haven't gotten used to either (sword play is essentially a button masher, but with motion sensitivity).

Personally, I don't intend to get used to these controls. At first, I thought it would be more realistic when compared to real life shooting because in real life, you aren't always centered right over your gun, or paintball gun in my experience, which is how normal FPSs are, but I was wrong. You don't move a gun all around your view without moving your body and view and if you did in real life, you'd miss a lot, which is exactly what happens in Red Steel (except when using auto-aim, which I think is lame). I plan on renting COD3 and from what I've heard, it's much more like a PC FPS, yet it still allows you to move the gun slightly without turning your view, which I think is almost perfect. Red Steel was more of an experiment and if they had put in a COD3-aim-style in, it might have been a whole other game.

Sadly, Red Steel is also quite repetitive. Go into room, shoot bad guys, go into another room, shoot a few more, find key/key card, go back to locked door, checkpoint, shoot more guys and then sword fight; rinse and repeat. There are a few puzzle elements that are nice (you can tell Ubisoft tried), but most of the time it's just run and gun. The focus mode isn't that great either, but at least it's a bit original.

So, for anyone that wants an FPS, go for COD3 or possibly Far Cry if it's good, or wait for Metroid, but don't go for Red Steel unless you've just never played an FPS in your life. Actually scratch that last part. If you haven't played an FPS ever, don't let Red Steel's style get familiar because every other FPS is going to have the COD3-style and you'll be completely screwed.

Here's to a more complex and better-controlling sequel.
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Surely it isnt THAT terrible? BTW, have you finished the game yet?

Member #
    Friends
    3674-4969-0601-4340
    the games pretty fun IMO. I've only finished 30% of it but so far it's still fun to play. the cut scenes are looong and annoying if you die and rewatch them 5 times, but otherwise its' a good story too.

sword fights are what I play for, shooting people til I get to a knife fight!

haven't tried multiplayer yet as I can't find an in-stock controller to buy.

ps: a compass or map woulda reallly helped me, I get turned around all the time in the game.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Yep, its seems this turning buisiness is its biggest flaw. UBISOFT, bring out an update to fix this PLEASE!!

Special Olympics Medalist BrandonMcAuslan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Everyone email ubisoft demanding a patch for controls!...

... Or don't

meh

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    no no... im serious, if they can bring out a firmware that speeds up the edges of the turning it would be perfect. Itd just be like a sensitivity adjustment...

Member #
    Friends
    4532-8683-6668-7765
    First, take the time to learn the controls. How far did you get in the game? If you haven't even gotten through the first level, you shouldn't even be talking. If you take the time then the game will be just like any other FPS. I play the game just like any regular shooter like CS and such. There's nothing wrong with the controls. Play it with an open mind.

and the multiplayer outright sucks!!!!.......only 2 players and the split screen is ancient and sucky!!!
    You can have up to 4 players. Ancient? WTF are you talking about?

no theyr not i have DOOM,quake and other fps games for the pc and red steel doesent even come close
    They didn't advertise the Wii or Red Steel as a PC. Why are you comparing to the PC? Well of course if you compare things to a PC, of course the PC will win hands down no matter what console you're talking about in FPS.

-------------------------------

Everyone email ubisoft demanding a patch for controls!...

... Or don't

meh
    Don't need to. Go to settings and make your sensitivity higher. You'll turn fast enough.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Being a PC FPS man, is RedSteel REALLY as bad as ppl say? I have Battlefield 2 and think the controls are perfect, how much worse are Red Steel's compared to games like this? I'd be happy to learn the new style, but does it take like a minute to properly aim on someone?
    Can you elaborate on your experience with Red Steel such as with learning curve of the controls etc?

Ads