LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4627-4261-3182-4550
    I think 2009 will be the year of the Hardcore gamer for Wii owners. However I think hardcore gaming is about more than just online multiplayer, hell people were cranking out thousands of hours on Super Mario 64 and Final Fantasy 7 way before online multiplayer came out. In the end though, a console is what you make it. There is enough shovelware trash and kid-friendly games on each console to make them Non-hardcore as well. And there are enough Hardcore titles on Wii to make it Hardcore. It just depends on what you buy. Don't go out and buy Animal Crossing and Wii Play and then come back and B!tch about the Wii not having any hardcore games when you could have just as easily bought Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, No More Heroes, or Zelda.

Now Playing
    -Sin and Punishment: Star Successor- -DJ Hero- - Goldeneye 007- -Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex- -Dead Space: Extraction- -Muramasa: The Demon Blade- -Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands- -Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles- -Red Steel 2- -Monster Hunter Tri-
    Goldeneye 007 FC :1371-0470-9201
    Modern Warfare Reflex FC: 0724-1130-4548

Member #
    Friends
    There isn't really too many "hardcore" games in the Wii library, but eventually I can definitely see Wii appealing to more "hardcore" gamers.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e View Post
    I don't think the Wii can ever truly become hardcore without some kind of major overhaul. Being a hardcore console isn't just making M rated games or even adding online playability. Hardcore players want things that can make a game truly have a community. Like making clans, playing tournaments, easily chatting with friends or clanmates, etc. etc.
    As far as consoles go most of those things only really came to the forefront with the Xbox 360 (Xbox and PS2 had a bit of it but it was rather limited). So did 'hardcore consoles' not exist before then?

Actually they probably didn't officially, as it seems to be quite a new term. In past generations gaming was rather a niche market so all gamers and consoles were likely to be reasonably 'hardcore'.

Most 'hardcore' gamers nowadays do seem to equate M rated games as being hardcore and cartoony games as kiddy; even though a lot of the M rated games are a lot easier than the games of old. So games like Madworld and The Conduit should help push the Wii as a more serious console than it has been perceived by many so far.

Anyway it's all subjective, one persons view of what constitutes 'hardcore' can be quite different from anothers. To me it means games either with some substance and difficulty to them; or gamers who bust through games quickly and need a constant supply of quality titles.
    Wii games - SMG, Zelda TP, Mario Kart, SSBB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Blue World, Wii Fit, Super Monkeyball, Rogue Trooper, Shaun White, NMH, NMH2, GH: WT, Aerosmith, Zack&Wiki, Okami, RE4, Force Unleashed, Clone Wars, Scarface, PES, Tenchu, Trauma Centre NB, Madworld, Rune Factory, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, COD Reflex, Obscure, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, NSMB, Bully, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri

Member #
    Friends
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzapper View Post
    I think 2009 will be the year of the Hardcore gamer for Wii owners. However I think hardcore gaming is about more than just online multiplayer, hell people were cranking out thousands of hours on Super Mario 64 and Final Fantasy 7 way before online multiplayer came out. In the end though, a console is what you make it. There is enough shovelware trash and kid-friendly games on each console to make them Non-hardcore as well. And there are enough Hardcore titles on Wii to make it Hardcore. It just depends on what you buy. Don't go out and buy Animal Crossing and Wii Play and then come back and B!tch about the Wii not having any hardcore games when you could have just as easily bought Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, No More Heroes, or Zelda.
    WOW!! AMAZING post!!

has anyone checked out the IGN Wii page today?? Not a single casual game!!

http://wii.ign.com/

Cursed Mountain looks pretty sick. And I think we could forgive Dead Space Extraction if it's more than IR aiming. Twisting the Remote sounds cool and what if they added MotionPlus where you could bash an enemy's face using your gun!
    In 2007 I predicted Wii Fit would sell more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

EVERYONE at wiichat.com disagreed with me.

As it stands today:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.49 Million

Wii Fit: 35 Million

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    The Wii is only hardcore in certain vids

I hope she cleaned the controller afterwards

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    I think this whole "Hardcore" word is an utter BS. Hardcore games traditionally have been focused on being difficult. With games such as F-Zero GX, Castlevania, and Contra and Shinobi. Now we seem to be replacing the word "Hardcore" with what was formally known as "Mature" games which opposed to "kiddie" or "childish" games. Before the Hardcore redefining, we used the word "Traditional" games which was to distinguish itself from "Casual" games.

There is the end of my rant.

Member #
    Friends
    5820-3895-0352-0420
    I tend to agree with Godwind... Oftentimes, from my perspective, 'hardcore' gamers are no more 'hardcore' than any other gamers. They just focus on M-rated games with violence and sex, etc, but focusing on that doesn't make them any more hardcore. Many of these so-called hardcore gamers only follow trends - going from FPS to FPS to yet another FPS, sometimes throwing in some other mass-marketed triple-A title. 'Hardcore' gaming, though, is represented by the gamers that thoroughly research their games, dedicate time to completing as much of the game as possible, and ultimately enjoy doing so. The Wii, while it has a lot of poorly designed crap titles with shiny covers, also has had a decent amount of 'hardcore' games already. Games like Mercury Meltdown, MLB Power Pros, even SMG - they're all hardcore in that they're well-designed, deep, and have a lot of gameplay life in the form of levels, unlockables, and achievements to attain. In comparison, a lot of so-called 'hardcore' titles don't even offer as much gameplay or additional content; all they do offer is violence/gore/graphics. The difference is that, with the current definition of 'hardcore', people tend to ignore a game's actual quality in favor of 'hardcore' graphics, 'hardcore' violence, 'hardcore' storyline and characters, and so on. In my opinion, games like Halo and Gears of War with their gritty, smooth, and violent gameplay are no more 'hardcore' than Super Mario Galaxy with its family-friendly concept and cartoony graphics, if played as such.
    SSBB FC: 3050-7266-1269 - Add me. Msg me with your code if you do My nickname is AWZ!
    PES 2009 FC: 1548-0990-5835

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Yes, Wii is getting more "hardcore" content (a better word should be used), but it's unlikely that Wii is going to ever stray from being predominantly casual.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

Member #
    Friends
    5820-3895-0352-0420
    On a slightly different note, IGN has given Editor's Choice awards to four Wii exclusives so far this year, I think. That may not represent an increase in 'hardcore' games, but it does represent good games that serious gamers can appreciate, and I think this is at least on a similar pace with the other consoles..
    Last edited by AutumnWind; 03-19-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    SSBB FC: 3050-7266-1269 - Add me. Msg me with your code if you do My nickname is AWZ!
    PES 2009 FC: 1548-0990-5835

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Yes, Wii is getting more "hardcore" content (a better word should be used), but it's unlikely that Wii is going to ever stray from being predominantly casual.
    No the Wii is not getting hardcore but it is getting more decent content , but it's unlikely that Wii is going to ever stray from being predominantly casual.

Will that do?

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Ads