Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    This console generation has somehow brought something sickening to gaming. What is it? Its the fact of people crying about games being hardcore enough ,or not. We never hard of this last gen ,or the gens before that.

I look at it this way if you enjoy the game you buy then good for you who cares if its hardcore, casual ,or even considered "shovelware". Most have forgotten that games are suppose to be fun, and how much fun had from a game is subjective to the individual.

Therefore some gamers may find games with blood ,and guts fun where some may find games with big eyed cartoon characters bopping on baddies heads fun with an ounce of blood ,or the F word.

In other words its all in what "YOU" like not what the collective gaming community says you should like.

Okay sorry i had to get that off my chest.
    No. This generation has expanded gaming. That is not a bad thing.

What people are forgetting is what gaming is at an objective level. It cannot be pigeonholed into one type of set rules or experiences. Shovelware, hardcore, casual, all of these types offer legitimate gaming experiences for their attracted audiences who buy into them. The two reasons why we didn't have this much complaining is because 1: The industry wasn't nearly as large as it is now, and 2: The internet has evolved into a much more vocal place for gaming discussion with much more people participating in it (because of reason 1).

People also don't know how to separate gaming from thematics. On the surface, we may be quick to judge their content for its kiddy, bloodlust, overtly sexual themes, or waggle or stylus controls, but that's all they are: fluff. At the games' core, they are all still legitimate gaming interaction that have a place for the audiences they cater to. This is why ESRB exists. There is nothing in the definition of gaming that states that they must have a general audience sentiment and stray from mature/kiddy themes.

Too many people are spoiled by what gaming has traditionally been or what they prefer, and don't know how to deal with its sudden expanding toward a wider variety of audiences. Just because people complain about it doesn't mean this generation has gone wrong. People will ALWAYS complain. There are just more people now doing it.

The only thing this gen should be blamed for is a lack of quality control (primarily with Wii) and demanding game development costs like no other for PS360 games. Neither of these were a major issue in previous generations.
    Last edited by Bio; 04-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    3175-9467-6599-1772
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwind View Post
    As in shooters, what do you mean? There are different kinds of shooters. There are a lot of shooters on the virtual console and in Wiiware. As for other shooters, House of the Dead Overkill, Call of Duty: World at War, Castle of Shikigami 3, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and a bunch of other games.
    I think he meant ones that don't border along mediocrity, or just plain suck.

Member #
    Friends
    0558-5461-4916-6731
    Theres quality problems on 360/PS3 ,but it comes in a different form. Where Wii's problem comes in from underdevelopment, and shoehorned controls the PS360 gets its quality problems from becoming stale. Grant it the Unreal 3 engine became a could starting point for this gen ,but how many shooters are we gonna have that all look, or play similar to cross between Gears ,and Halo.

The games on that side of this generation are barely having personallity of their own most of them are just another sci-fi shooter with some steroid ridden no personality guy with a deep gritty voice who shoots anything that moves. Grant it some of the games may have some gimmic like stopping time (looks at Timeshift), some kind of freaky crap (Hey FEAR) ,or some kind of terrain transformation (Hello Fracture ,but all in all they all do the same crap with the same basic controls)

A lot of the HD gen games play like last gen titles with a fresh coat of paint ,and more refined controls. I'm not saying every HD gen game is this way ,but far too many are.
    My Wifi games (ASK ME FOR MY CODES)

Rock Band 2,Call of Duty W@W,Mario Kart,Nights,Tetris Party,Dr.Mario,WWE Smackdown VS Raw 09,Battalion Wars 2,Mario Strikers,Smash Bros Brawl,Quantum of Solace,Medal of Honor Heroes,Excitebots,The Conduit,and Call of Duty Modern Warfare

Member #
    Friends
    3175-9467-6599-1772
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    Theres quality problems on 360/PS3 ,but it comes in a different form. Where Wii's problem comes in from underdevelopment, and shoehorned controls the PS360 gets its quality problems from becoming stale. Grant it the Unreal 3 engine became a could starting point for this gen ,but how many shooters are we gonna have that all look, or play similar to cross between Gears ,and Halo.

The games on that side of this generation are barely having personallity of their own most of them are just another sci-fi shooter with some steroid ridden no personality guy with a deep gritty voice who shoots anything that moves. Grant it some of the games may have some gimmic like stopping time (looks at Timeshift), some kind of freaky crap (Hey FEAR) ,or some kind of terrain transformation (Hello Fracture ,but all in all they all do the same crap with the same basic controls)

A lot of the HD gen games play like last gen titles with a fresh coat of paint ,and more refined controls. I'm not saying every HD gen game is this way ,but far too many are.
    I am a huge fan of the original F.E.A.R. game, which is a current-gen game (2005 on PC, ported to consoles later on). F.E.A.R. was not more of the same. The game controls and plays out unlike any other FPS I have ever played. F.E.A.R. 2 on the other hand opted to emulate the competition, like the Halo's, the COD's, etc, while retaining some key series trademarks. Ultimately, that descended the title into mediocrity, unfortunately.

A lot of 360/PS3 games are more of the same, like GoW2, Fallout 3, RE5, but what they have is polishing at least.

Member #
    Friends
    7969-0177-6024-3216
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny View Post
    If you like them games my advice to you is to get a 360
    This is true. Wii will never have Halo, I can guarantee you that. Microsoft & nintendo does not, and will not mix.
    Wii Friends Number; 7969-0177-6024-3216
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl Number; 3823-9162-2724
    Mario Kart Number; 4339-3159-2042
    Medal of Honour Heroes 2; manthaa33
    Rock Band 2; 5183-3473-0039
    Call of Duty: World at War; Fixation, 3480-8926-0205
    The Conduit; Fixation, 2364-3666-2262
    If you add any numbers, PM me.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3175-9467-6599-1772
    Quote Originally Posted by LightUp33 View Post
    This is true. Wii will never have Halo, I can guarantee you that. Microsoft & nintendo does not, and will not mix.
    Wii's getting its rendition of Halo. It's called The Conduit.

Member #
    Friends
    7969-0177-6024-3216
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilism View Post
    Wii's getting its rendition of Halo. It's called The Conduit.
    Yes, but it isn't Halo.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Yes, but it isn't Halo.
    Haha, well no...Halo is an IP owned by MS, so I don't think Wii will be getting it ever

Halo is fun, the Xbox 360 as a whole is a great console, but the Wii has a place for me!
    "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." -Herman Melville

Member #
    Friends
    7969-0177-6024-3216
    Is 'He' me? Because if it is, i'm a she. Haha.
    Anyways, ya, that was my original point. Wii would never get it because of microsoft vs. nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap2 View Post
    I think people need to stop comparing all FPS to Halo. I liked the game, its fun...buts its not the only one out there!
    I agree with this. I love Halo but, like you said, there is and will be other games that are similar.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Is 'He' me? Because if it is, i'm a she. Haha.
    Haha, quite sorry!

As I was typing, I was thinking I was using he a lot, without know for sure. Bad assumption on my part!
    "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." -Herman Melville

Ads