LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto View Post
    Do you really think hardcore = a hard game and casual = an easy game?
    Not in all cases and it would depend on each persons definition. I've played games on 360 that would probably be described as 'hardcore' games by most people and they were easy.

As an old school gamer I find most games easier nowadays, back in the 8bit era games were made harder, often to increase the play length or hide the fact that a game wasn't really complete. Of course back then all gamers were 'hardcore' because gaming was more of a niche market. Perhaps that is why I often equate 'hardcore' more to difficulty or depth, where as a lot of gamers seem to think that 'hardcore' just means M rated.

In general on the Wii though 'casual' games are usually easier and more accessible than 'hardcore' games are. Casual gamers are also thought to be incapable of using the full Wii controls, hence the Wiimote only options in many sports titles to give them both 'hardcore' and 'casual' appeal.

The reviewing gap between casual and hardcore is evident in something like Carnival Games. If I was to rate it I would score it around a 4 because it lacks any depth or real skill requirement (lot of hit or miss type games), yet I know people who would score it a 9 because they can just pick it up and play it without any real learning curve. Likewise I'd rate something like MP3 a 9 and they'd rate it a 4 because it was too much for them.
    Wii games - SMG, Zelda TP, Mario Kart, SSBB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Blue World, Wii Fit, Super Monkeyball, Rogue Trooper, Shaun White, NMH, NMH2, GH: WT, Aerosmith, Zack&Wiki, Okami, RE4, Force Unleashed, Clone Wars, Scarface, PES, Tenchu, Trauma Centre NB, Madworld, Rune Factory, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, COD Reflex, Obscure, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, NSMB, Bully, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri

Member #
    Friends
    Well my definition of hardcore games, that most people agree with is...

Any game that allows a player to submerge themselves in the lore, atmosphere and challenges of a goal. A game that is complex and requires massive amounts of time to and allows the player to completely understand.

A hardcore gamer is a player who does go with this flow and does submerge himself into a game.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto View Post
    Well my definition of hardcore games, that most people agree with is...

Any game that allows a player to submerge themselves in the lore, atmosphere and challenges of a goal. A game that is complex and requires massive amounts of time to and allows the player to completely understand.

A hardcore gamer is a player who does go with this flow and does submerge himself into a game.
    That's a pretty good definition and not too different from what I think. I only include difficulty as a possible criteria because the Wii's library and audience are a bit different from the norm.

In terms of Wii reviews it tends to be a bit more black & white though, as the target audience is usually quite obvious when a game is casual (although some games are not, such as Zack & Wiki which may look cutesy to a hardcore gamer but is actually too hard for a casual gamer). Let's Tap is an interesting title, reviews have been generally good but a few have marked it lower for being a casual party game, despite that being its intention. A game like that really needs to be reviewed differently to an action type of game.

It'll be interesting to see how Natal games get reviewed on 360 when they come out. There are sure to be a lot of 'casual family friendly' titles that will be loved by some and hated by others. Without another controller input I don't see Natal being much use in traditional 360 games, so its main use would probably be casual or sports titles. Sovieto, how does a traditionalist like you feel about Natal? Would you like to play the next Virtua Tennis with Natal or stick with a normal controller?
    Wii games - SMG, Zelda TP, Mario Kart, SSBB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Blue World, Wii Fit, Super Monkeyball, Rogue Trooper, Shaun White, NMH, NMH2, GH: WT, Aerosmith, Zack&Wiki, Okami, RE4, Force Unleashed, Clone Wars, Scarface, PES, Tenchu, Trauma Centre NB, Madworld, Rune Factory, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, COD Reflex, Obscure, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, NSMB, Bully, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri

Member #
    Friends
    I rented this game today. It's....ok. I guess. It's going to take some getting use to. But then, I am playing with the "old" Wii remote. I don't have the Wii Motion Plus yet.

One question though. Why is everybody comparing the new tennis games to Wii Sports Tennis? It's like apples and oranges. Hello, has everyone forgotten TopSpin 3? Am I the only one who bought it? That would be a more interesting comparison. TopSpin 3, vs Grand Slam Tennis, vs Virtua Tennis.

So far I prefer TopSpin. But that could be because I got good at it so fast. Personally, I liked that it wasn't too complicated to pick up.

Member #
    Friends
    1111-1111-1111-1111
    Ouch, Operation Sports slammed VT 2009 for the Wii:
    http://www.operationsports.com/review.php?id=486

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by raisinghelen View Post
    That's a pretty good definition and not too different from what I think. I only include difficulty as a possible criteria because the Wii's library and audience are a bit different from the norm.

In terms of Wii reviews it tends to be a bit more black & white though, as the target audience is usually quite obvious when a game is casual (although some games are not, such as Zack & Wiki which may look cutesy to a hardcore gamer but is actually too hard for a casual gamer). Let's Tap is an interesting title, reviews have been generally good but a few have marked it lower for being a casual party game, despite that being its intention. A game like that really needs to be reviewed differently to an action type of game.

It'll be interesting to see how Natal games get reviewed on 360 when they come out. There are sure to be a lot of 'casual family friendly' titles that will be loved by some and hated by others. Without another controller input I don't see Natal being much use in traditional 360 games, so its main use would probably be casual or sports titles. Sovieto, how does a traditionalist like you feel about Natal? Would you like to play the next Virtua Tennis with Natal or stick with a normal controller?
    Unless there's a complete epic AAAAAA title that HAS to be played and is only able to be played with NATAL, I'll consider getting it. Other than that I don't care for it. I believe it will fail regardless since it's Microsoft though, unless it's put at a really cheap price (doubtful) with a few GOOD (Wii Sports calabur) games thrown in, and since it is Microsoft.........

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Ads